Is AARP a good thing or a rip-off?

I find both AARP and AMAC both rip-offs and both are more about politics than providing a service to seniors. I get my insurance through a local independent agent where maximum benefits for minimal cost prevail over politics. I get as good a plan for 40% less.

I was a member at AARP, for 5 yrs, the only good thing I got was discounts at Walgreens
The website in beginning was good when I joined in 2011, there were some private groups along with the public ones. One time we were never notifed ahead of time, the 'powers that be' decided to change the format. Many long time posters who had started their private groups were so upset they no longer existed,they left in protest. I left in mid 2017, came here,a refreshing change Sue

My opinion; AARP is a rip-off. And they're political puppets. They don't care which way you lean politically, they'll take your money and invest it in their political interests. A lot of corporations do that, but AARP does it while claiming to be sympathetic to all seniors, and totally supportive of senior issues, and it's a buncha BS. Like, they hand out dollar-off coupons to seniors while, behind the scenes, they support initiatives and legislation that hurts seniors.

I, sometimes, wondered🤔... what I was missing?...
So....I finally joined...only because it was so cheap for a 2 yr.deal..
with a "stupid" sign-up gift!
(They don't have my credit card...so, no auto-renewal)+ won't
I hate the constant haranging/begging for the foundation....which I don't
What do the dues..go for.?
Mag..has some good stuff..(pass it on...leave w/health office)
but lots of ads.

I, sometimes, wondered🤔... what I was missing?...
So....I finally joined...only because it was so cheap for a 2 yr.deal..
with a "stupid" sign-up gift!
(They don't have my credit card...so, no auto-renewal)+ won't
I hate the constant haranging/begging for the foundation....which I don't
What do the dues..go for.?
Mag..has some good stuff..(pass it on...leave w/health office)
but lots of ads.
Jace. Here in Canada Doctor's office no longer have magazines in the waiting room as a way to prevent the spread of germs, and the first thing that everyone does when they arrive is sanitize their hands and wear a mask. JimB.

In Canada we have CARP. Carp does offer a lot of things for those over 55, such as Zoomer magazine, a radio network that plays oldies music and or classical music. A TV network, a travel insurance company, a Documentary film production company and a full time lobbyist in Ottawa who represents the interests of those 55 and over to the Federal Government in a non partisan way. Financial and investment advice through the magazine, and cooking and craft projects as well. JimB.

I know some people whose memberships weren't honored at some restaurants that should have.
I remember about 20 years ago that AARP was actually advocating eliminating Social Security! At that point I severed all ties with them but even today they continue to send me junk mail.

I think AARP is in the business of benefiting themselves and specifically their officers. I won't have anything to do with them.

There is an alternative to AARP it is AMAC (The Association for Mature American Citizens).

We were a member for a while. I really liked their magazine. We stopped because we did not use their deals much. Hotels would take it same as AARP and when we traveled (before COVID) it was good to have however, my gray hair got that discount anyway🤪.

Politics, causes & biased advertising aside (which I have absolutely no control). The way I figure it, if I can pay a $16 fee annually & receive $24 back in my pocket - I won. That's a 50% return on my money.

“Take care of your pennies, and your dollars will take care of themselves.” - William Lowndes

Last edited:
My opinion; AARP is a rip-off. And they're political puppets. They don't care which way you lean politically, they'll take your money and invest it in their political interests. A lot of corporations do that, but AARP does it while claiming to be sympathetic to all seniors, and totally supportive of senior issues, and it's a buncha BS. Like, they hand out dollar-off coupons to seniors while, behind the scenes, they support initiatives and legislation that hurts seniors.
đź‘Ťđź’Ż

It has never been a federal government insurance program, it's been 100% private since inception in 1936 founded to sell government employees auto insurance.
That is correct. However, at the time I joined in 1967, only federal employees were permitted by the company to get their auto insurance (maybe state employees too, but I don't know). My how times have changed!

AARP collecting with both hands. In one hand they take your money to get discounts you probably could have had just by asking the business for them.
Then with the other hand they take money from the businesses to be able to use the AARP name on their discounts.
Also, Medicare has suspended enrollment in United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plans.

Some of the jobs I had used United Healthcare and some used Blue Cross Blue Shield. They both seemed similar to me, though workplace plans I think can negotiate coverage details.

I only just started using Medicare this year and I am with the AARP UnitedHealthcare option and it seems okay. The Nebraska Medicare advice people had provided a list of the best choices based on their research with a chart of premiums, increases by age, discounts, and history of rate jumps etc, and the AARP UHC was in the list and looked like it was as good as the others.

How does open season work, how long do we have, how do people compare? I suppose I need to find the Nebraska Medicare office again and see if they provide updated comparison charts.

If it were left up to me I wouldn't be a member but mama likes reading the magazine so that's that......never used any of the discounts but being a member does save us a few bucks (very few) on our Consumer Cellular phone bill.

I'll keep the subscription current for as long as she wants me to because I definitely believe in the old saying.......

hw.jpg

Back