Is it possible to get a mental health forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn’t what I was referring to in the least.
I thought it would be nice to have an area where we could discuss things like:

- depression
- loneliness
- declining cognitive functioning
- anxiety
- obsessing / compulsive thinking
- dementia
- changing moods
- insomnia or lack of sleep
- self worth
- insecurity
- alcohol or substance abuse
- eating disorders
- family issues
- grief & loss
- emotional wellness
- divorce
- trauma
- domestic abuse
- phobias
- anger management
- self care
- self image
- self respect

This would be a place to discuss mental health , NOT replace proper care

My thoughts were that if there was a specific section available, maybe more members would be more comfortable discussing some of the above topics since mental health certainly is a bit part of aging.

I like your list, Patty.

Pepper, I would hope for a place to talk openly with understanding for each other.

Kate, I'd like to know your thoughts too, so I wish there weren't any eggshells.

Nobody is suggesting that mental illness and psychiatric breakdowns are either curable or treatable. The question is how to keep society safe from these wretched individuals who think mowing down a school full of innocent children with an AR-15 assault rifle is the solution to what ails them.
Mental illness and psychiatric breakdowns are both curable or treatable.

Only 10% of homicides are committed by the mentally ill, the other 90% tend to be committed by angry men.

I do beg everyones pardon - I was for some reason focussing on mental illhealth - I see nothing wrong at all with a mental health forum on which all aspects of maintaining a sound mental health could be discussed! remember there is a difference between "mental health" and "mental illhealth" the above list provided is too muddled as it includes mental illhealth conditions and simply mental health issues like self respectd and self image - these apply to all of us not just to the mentally afflicted ill-health persons. I think we need to be crystal clear before we engage on discussing "mental health " or "mental illhealth" are we will be in a quagmire of utter confusion!!
Mental health is a category of health just like physical health. The idea of this category would be to discuss ideas on how to improve our mental health or perhaps give support to others who might need it. Even a loneliness forum we could have for those times when we get lonely. It doesn’t have to be a cure we are seeking but rather an option to help ease it.

Depression which many of us go through could be another sub -section that members could use to support and / or offer suggestions.

It’s not a place to seek diagnosis or replace professional help.
If we have a mental health section in this forum, will i be cured?
Probably not but you’ll most likely have addition support from others in your suffering

If they are diagnosed as pychopaths then they would be in the 10% called mentally ill, now wouldn't they?

Why are you working so hard to stigmatize the mentally ill as dangerous murderers?
Thank you. Unfortunately mental illness IS stigmatized and always has been. It wasn’t that long ago that people with mental illness were burned to a stake. After that they were thrown in an asylum.

There no doubt some people are psychotic. Some people hear voices and hallucinate. Some become anti social psychopaths. We’ve got examples of this in every culture throughout the world from slavery to religion.

Stigmatizing mental illness is the last thing we need. Keeping things bottled up only compounds the problem . Labelling people as evil is stigmatizing mental illness. Let’s not put mental illness in the ‘witch hunt’ category.

Perhaps if more people had a safe place to discuss their thoughts and emotions, there wouldn’t be as much external violence expressed in our world.

Let’s stop the blame games and shaming of human behaviour. We don’t have to like or approve of everybody’s behaviour but labelling others in derogatory terms has never proved helpful.

@PeppermintPatty Thanks for your suggestions! Your topic list looks quite interesting, we can give it a try. You may not be aware of our policy on creating new forums: if you suggest a new forum, you need to moderate and take care of it, if you are willing to do it, I will create it.
YES! I am willing to do that and thank you kindly for your consideration. 🙏😁

I think this is a fantastic idea! How many of today's problems that we hear about in the news every day are being caused by mental breakdown and mental illness of marginalized and alienated people who simply cannot cope with the stresses and demands of modern everyday life? I support your idea 100% :cool:
I agree. Most every wretched thing you here about these days traces back to mental illness or mental illness caused by addiction etc.
Of course not all people suffering hurt others but regardless, they are suffering.

While I like the idea of having a mental health section, I really don’t think I’m the right person to moderate this .

I’ve got my own mental health issues which I think would interfere with my capability to do this objectively.

There are other members here who could do a far better job than I ever could but I do appreciate the offer all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back