Is Mexico as bad as we in the U.S. are led to believe?

Youngster

I'd like to visit Mexico but have some safety concerns. I tend to believe we are told it's worse than it really is. I'd like to hear from people who have actually been there within the past few years.

Well of course not the whole country, but as a rich American visiting a country with a high poor population, caution is advised. Safety in Mexico is a topic of interest to me, as we''l be traveling there next week. As with visiting poor areas in any country(U.S. included) it's a good idea not to flaunt your material wealth. See the following: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Well of course not the whole country, but as a rich American visiting a country with a high poor population, caution is advised. Safety in Mexico is a topic of interest to me, as we''l be traveling there next week. As with visiting poor areas in any country(U.S. included) it's a good idea not to flaunt your material wealth. See the following: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html
That goes without saying. I'd like to know your thoughts when you get back. Have fun.

Well, I used to go down to Juarez because there is a great dentistry down there, "Washington Dentistry".
The prices are less than a quarter of what you pay in the U.S. I took my late husband down there and
we had a wait while they made his crown. We walked a block away and wo-o-o-o-o!
On the next block, there were gangs on each side of the street shooting at each other!
Dead bodies in the street! It was like watching a movie!

I've also had many talks with people who had lovely homes in Mexico raided by gangs who took any
possessions that were worth anything! {This knowledge is secondhand) but they said the gangs
took paintings off the walls, stole jewelry, clothing, anything of value.
Anyway, Just thought I'd pass that on. Except for gangs, I've found the Mexican people to be
some of the nicest people I've ever met!

Well, I used to go down to Juarez because there is a great dentistry down there, "Washington Dentistry".
The prices are less than a quarter of what you pay in the U.S. I took my late husband down there and
we had a wait while they made his crown. We walked a block away and wo-o-o-o-o!
On the next block, there were gangs on each side of the street shooting at each other!
Dead bodies in the street! It was like watching a movie!

I've also had many talks with people who had lovely homes in Mexico raided by gangs who took any
possessions that were worth anything! {This knowledge is secondhand) but they said the gangs
took paintings off the walls, stole jewelry, clothing, anything of value.
Anyway, Just thought I'd pass that on. Except for gangs, I've found the Mexican people to be
some of the nicest people I've ever met!
It's a border town. I've heard it's best to stay away from border towns as that's where most of the gang violence takes place.

I'd like to visit Mexico but have some safety concerns. I tend to believe we are told it's worse than it really is.
I think it probably is, however as @Nathan said there are dangerous places and things to beware of. I am headed to Pueto Penasco (Rocky Point) in 2 weeks and have no concerns. I've also been to Mexico City and environs in the past few years.

Most of the usual American tourist areas, like Cabo San Lucas or Cancun are pretty safe. The Mexicans don't want to lose the tourist dollars and so are pretty protective. If you want to get more adventurous you can safely go to other places, but do some research first. And take common sense precautions, don't dress to attract attention, keep your money out of sight, don't go out into the countryside unless you really know its safe, etc. Do some online research and you'll find a lot of help. Going with people who have been and know more can be a good first trip.

On the whole Mexicans are honest friendly people. Good folks. However just like here there are bad actors, one difference is you have some sense as to where not to go and what not to do here more so than in Mexico. But you can learn, and I think it is worth the effort. Mexico is a great place.

Where do you plan to go? And what do you plan to do?

Oh, I looked at your website, interesting!

Last edited:
I think it probably is, however as @Nathan said there are dangerous places and things to beware of. I am headed to Pueto Penasco (Rocky Point) in 2 weeks and have no concerns. I've also been to Mexico City and environs in the past few years.

Most of the usual American tourist areas, like Cabo San Lucas or Cancun are pretty safe. The Mexicans don't want to lose the tourist dollars and so are pretty protective. If you want to get more adventurous you can safely go to other places, but do some research first. And take common sense precautions, don't dress to attract attention, keep your money out of sight, don't go out into the countryside unless you really know its same, etc. Do some online research and you'll find a lot of help. Going with people who have been and know more can be a good first trip.

On the whole Mexicans are honest friendly people. Good folks. However just like here there are bad actors, one difference is you have some sense as to where not to go and what not to do here more so than in Mexico. But you can learn, and I think it is worth the effort. Mexico is a great place.

Where do you plan to go? And what do you plan to do?

Oh, I looked at your website, interesting!
I'm still looking. Somewhere on the Pacific coast. Maybe Seyulita. Someplace small with a nice beach. I don't know the language. Not sure how much of a problem that will be.

Thanks for taking a look at the site. I just added an entertainment section. Right now I'm adding my short stories. Just started this morning. There will be more info. on hobbies and such in the future.
<Here's a link>

Most of the usual American tourist areas, like Cabo San Lucas or Cancun are pretty safe.
Yes
Very true

Had some in-laws down there
Native Mexicans
Acapulco

I say 'had'

The remaining in-law, mother of my SIL, was assassinated
Point blank to the temple
.22 round
Professional job
Assassins know a .22 round won't go thru the skull
Just bounce around, tearing brain tissue

There're some wonderful little towns in country
but
it's a crap shoot if you don't know anybody
or
Spanish (big ticket)

I understand Baja is wonderful to live! (so beautiful!) (great food)
Years ago, When I lived in San Diego, I used to drive way, way down the coast
of Baja alone and actually, (haha) once got my truck stuck in the sand.
A whole gang of Mexican guys surrounded my truck and I got a little scared.
but, the sweethearts, They dug my truck out of the sand! Helped me!
They really are the sweetest people!

Somewhere on the Pacific coast. Maybe Seyulita.
Never been there or very close, but did a quick internet search and found this: Is Sayulita Safe? Best Sayulita Mexico Travel Tips in 2023 https://travelmexicosolo.com/is-sayulita-safe/ which suggests it probably is safe. However I would not rely on a single source, I pay particular attention to people who have specific information about an area, not just general warning stuff.

My closest experience is a few hundred miles north in Los Mochis and Topolobampo. When I was there it was safe enough, but that was years ago, don't know today. The real attraction to that are is the train through Copper Canyon (El Chepe, https://chepe.mx/en/ ) One of the great train journeys of the world, Copper Canyon is much larger than the grand canyon, in winter you go from mountain snow to the tropics in just a few hours. Done it several times, but not recently. I am sure the train is safe, not as sure about the stops, but it wouldn't be hard to research. The nearby beaches are very nice, but harder to get to. I have a dolphin skull in my bookcase I found there.
Unfortunately is not on my list of safe American tourist places. @Gary O' tells a good cautionary tale...

Most of my experiences in Mexico are more like @Gaer 's.

Never been there or very close, but did a quick internet search and found this: Is Sayulita Safe? Best Sayulita Mexico Travel Tips in 2023 https://travelmexicosolo.com/is-sayulita-safe/ which suggests it probably is safe. However I would not rely on a single source, I pay particular attention to people who have specific information about an area, not just general warning stuff.

My closest experience is a few hundred miles north in Los Mochis and Topolobampo. When I was there it was safe enough, but that was years ago, don't know today. The real attraction to that are is the train through Copper Canyon (El Chepe, https://chepe.mx/en/ ) One of the great train journeys of the world, Copper Canyon is much larger than the grand canyon, in winter you go from mountain snow to the tropics in just a few hours. Done it several times, but not recently. I am sure the train is safe, not as sure about the stops, but it wouldn't be hard to research. The nearby beaches are very nice, but harder to get to. I have a dolphin skull in my bookcase I found there.

Unfortunately is not on my list of safe American tourist places. @Gary O' tells a good cautionary tale...

Most of my experiences in Mexico are more like @Gaer 's.
Wow! That train journey sounds incredible!

ChatGPT says:
It is not accurate to say that Mexico is "as bad as we in the U.S. are led to believe." Mexico is a diverse country with a rich culture and history, and like any country, it has its own set of challenges and issues. However, it is important to note that Mexico is also facing many issues, including crime, drug trafficking, and poverty. Additionally, Mexico has been facing many challenges due to COVID-19, which had a significant impact on the country's economy.

Mexico is a complex and diverse country, and its reality can vary greatly depending on the specific region or topic being considered. Some areas of Mexico have high levels of crime and violence, particularly in certain regions along the US-Mexico border. However, many parts of Mexico are also safe and welcoming places to visit or live.

It is important to consider specific information and context when evaluating the situation in Mexico, rather than relying on generalizations or stereotypes.

Those comments were generated by ChatGPT. Students are using that technology to generate their research papers. Life in the 21st century! :ROFLMAO:

I have good friends that live on border ranches south of me that are finding dead bodies so often they stopped reporting them due to all the reporting paperwork and hassle involved they now say let the predators clean it up, I know of several divorces from husbands not wanting to move off family lands, property values way down also. Ranches are now turned into armed camps. Everyone goes armed when outside they say. I used to visit them but not anymore. The trash left on private lands is beyond horrible along with the rape trees youngsters ask, "what is that?"

Last edited:
ChatGPT says:
It is not accurate to say that Mexico is "as bad as we in the U.S. are led to believe." Mexico is a diverse country with a rich culture and history, and like any country, it has its own set of challenges and issues. However, it is important to note that Mexico is also facing many issues, including crime, drug trafficking, and poverty. Additionally, Mexico has been facing many challenges due to COVID-19, which had a significant impact on the country's economy.

Mexico is a complex and diverse country, and its reality can vary greatly depending on the specific region or topic being considered. Some areas of Mexico have high levels of crime and violence, particularly in certain regions along the US-Mexico border. However, many parts of Mexico are also safe and welcoming places to visit or live.

It is important to consider specific information and context when evaluating the situation in Mexico, rather than relying on generalizations or stereotypes.

Those comments were generated by ChatGPT. Students are using that technology to generate their research papers. Life in the 21st century! :ROFLMAO:
I've watched others use ChatGPT. The answers it gave toward right leaning questions concerning current issues were biased toward the left.
It only generates answers from information that it was given access to. It has currently been disconnected from accessing new information. It's only using what information it already had. In my opinion it's a propaganda tool.

I've watched others use ChatGPT. The answers it gave toward right leaning questions concerning current issues were biased toward the left.
It only generates answers from information that it was given access to. It has currently been disconnected from accessing new information. It's only using what information it already had. In my opinion it's a propaganda tool.
How can it address current issues if it doesn't have access to new information?

I have spent 2 winters in Mexico and always felt safe. I would go again. I would not go to California where it seems the crazies rule. The US has had 7 mass killings this month and the month is not yet over.

In Mexico gangs fight gangs over territory and the drugs. In the US, you fire a lousy worker, he goes home and gets his gun, comes back and shoots 10 people.

Truth is I have also spent 2 winters in Port Isabel, Texas and I have felt safe there too. But they say you don't "Mess with Texas." I guess with California, ya, you go and mess with 'em!

I always liked Texas. Nice friendly folks, clean highways and I think they got the death penalty in case you want to start shooting folks for no good reason. Seems the folks in Texas are smarter than them folks out on the west coast!

Attachments

• Texas 1.jpg
    Texas 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Texas 2.jpg
    Texas 2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In early January Canadians were warned to shelter in place at their resorts in the Mazatlan area. The Sinaloa gangs were very violent.

Lots of areas are safe if you use caution. Wherever you’re thinking of heading, do lots of research first.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/some-...xican-unrest-others-see-calm-return-1.6219923

Several cities in the Mexican state of Sinaloa exploded into violence Thursday after the arrest of alleged drug trafficker Ovidio (The Mouse) Guzman, who is a son of former cartel boss Joaquin (El Chapo) Guzman. The violence is particularly fierce in Culiacan, Mazatlan, Los Mochis and Guasave.

I have spent 2 winters in Mexico and always felt safe. I would go again. I would not go to California where it seems the crazies rule. The US has had 7 mass killings this month and the month is not yet over.

In Mexico gangs fight gangs over territory and the drugs. In the US, you fire a lousy worker, he goes home and gets his gun, comes back and shoots 10 people.

Truth is I have also spent 2 winters in Port Isabel, Texas and I have felt safe there too. But they say you don't "Mess with Texas." I guess with California, ya, you go and mess with 'em!

I always liked Texas. Nice friendly folks, clean highways and I think they got the death penalty in case you want to start shooting folks for no good reason. Seems the folks in Texas are smarter than them folks out on the west coast!
I live in Oregon and have been to Texas. I have relatives there. I would agree with your assessment. Where in Mexico did you go?

I have only been to Mexico on cruises so took tours. The only places I walked around were tourist shopping areas.

Back