Is Retirement All It's Cracked Up To Be?

I've heard that CBD oil works well. The article in first link lists 9 health benefits of CBD oil, including helping with arthritis and pain (shown as separate categories). The second linked article explains the difference between cannabis oil and CBD oil including the properties of each. My grandson is getting acupuncture for chronic pain in his back. He says it works quite well for him. I hope you will find something that gives you relief.
https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/health-benefits-cbd-3516616/

https://draxe.com/nutrition/cannabis-oil/

I checked those links, OED. Didn't learn anything new, heh. But it did refresh my memory as to why documented results are not widely available -- because CBD is still illegal federally, so no real human trials can be conducted. Brilliant.

A buddy of mine (who is now 80) took CBD oil for about a year to help with hip? or knee? joint pain. He claimed it helped, but then finally admitted that it didn't. That was a huge thing for him to admit, cuz normally he will defend whatever he is doing till the end of time, and even lie about it rather than admit he was wrong about anything.

The cortisone shot I got in my wrist yesterday has made a huge difference. I woke up this morning normally, instead of from wrist pain, and haven't had to take any tylenol since before the shot.

"Is Retirement All It's Cracked Up To Be?"​

The notion of retirement is misunderstood by many. We’re not necessarily horses put out to pasture. I’ve heard many say they want to travel when they retire to see and experience all of the things they’ve wanted to do in their lives. At 74, I can no longer hitch-hike around the world. Thank God I did all of that while I was still relatively young. I searched the globe while I was limber and I can now return by plane/train/bus to those places I think are worth the trip rather than wasting my time going back to visit the black hole of Calcutta in the heat, with my back in pain and my knee throbbing. So yes, retirement is all it’s cracked to be ........ if you take it by the horns.

I may look into Acupuncture for my tight, tensed muscles...especially in my neck and shoulders.
If you decide to try acupuncture ask friends for references rather than close your eyes and point in the telephone book. Not all acupuncturists are quacks but not all of them know what they are doing either.

"Is Retirement All It's Cracked Up To Be?"​

The notion of retirement is misunderstood by many. We’re not necessarily horses put out to pasture. I’ve heard many say they want to travel when they retire to see and experience all of the things they’ve wanted to do in their lives. At 74, I can no longer hitch-hike around the world. Thank God I did all of that while I was still relatively young. I searched the globe while I was limber and I can now return by plane/train/bus to those places I think are worth the trip rather than wasting my time going back to visit the black hole of Calcutta in the heat, with my back in pain and my knee throbbing. So yes, retirement is all it’s cracked to be ........ if you take it by the horns.
I’ve never understood many people’s obsession with travel, and with the assumption that every one wants to do it when they retire.

It interests me not in the least. Aside from that, I like the known comforts of home. But whatever.

I’ve never understood many people’s obsession with travel, and with the assumption that every one wants to do it when they retire.

It interests me not in the least. Aside from that, I like the known comforts of home. But whatever.
I can't answer that question but travel ("See the world") is a standard reply to, "What are you going to do when you retire?" so the assumption is clear.

*Is Retirement all it's cracked up to be?*
Too early to tell.
We had to close our NYC Restaurant in January. Had a lot of discussions during last year due to Covid. My Hubby turned 66, so we decided he would take Social Security. We drew off our Savings and paid off our mortgage. Unfortunately, we couldn't sell the restaurant and had to walk away, with some debt (sorting it all out). Ended up with Covid-19 in February, thankfully recovered.
So haven't technically sat down and let it sunk in. People keep saying "wow, you retired". I keep responded "we had to close our restaurant, will have to look for work once this whole pandemic thing subsides" le sigh.
Long story short, we are limited with what we can do ie: places to travel and things to see. Definitely what we thought "retirement implied".
For me, not being responsible for our Business has definitely lessened my anxiety and stress level but now I have a whole new bunch of items on the list eg: what do I do with my non-working time?
I keep saying that I'm in limbo. I guess my question to you guys would be how long does the LIMBO STAGE go on for?

Too early to tell.
We had to close our NYC Restaurant in January. Had a lot of discussions during last year due to Covid. My Hubby turned 66, so we decided he would take Social Security. We drew off our Savings and paid off our mortgage. Unfortunately, we couldn't sell the restaurant and had to walk away, with some debt (sorting it all out). Ended up with Covid-19 in February, thankfully recovered.
So haven't technically sat down and let it sunk in. People keep saying "wow, you retired". I keep responded "we had to close our restaurant, will have to look for work once this whole pandemic thing subsides" le sigh.
Long story short, we are limited with what we can do ie: places to travel and things to see. Definitely what we thought "retirement implied".
For me, not being responsible for our Business has definitely lessened my anxiety and stress level but now I have a whole new bunch of items on the list eg: what do I do with my non-working time?
I keep saying that I'm in limbo. I guess my question to you guys would be how long does the LIMBO STAGE go on for?
So sorry you had to close your restaurant; these last couple of years have just been awful, worries me so much about all the businesses.

For me, the limbo stage is still going on but it mostly has to do with where we live, long story. Oh, and welcome to the site by the way. :)

Too early to tell.
So haven't technically sat down and let it sunk in. People keep saying "wow, you retired". I keep responded "we had to close our restaurant, will have to look for work once this whole pandemic thing subsides" le sigh..
Long story short, we are limited with what we can do ie: places to travel and things to see. Definitely what we thought "retirement implied"..
It's called purgatory.

Too early to tell.
We sold our business and retired going on 5 years ago. For us, the limbo lasted a few months and after two years we were completely relaxed and oh so happy. We have acreage and lots of projects to keep us busy though. Think half of getting used to retirement is the loosening of the "harness" ...not having to adhere to the same old work schedule. Learning to let yourself just do "nothing" sometimes and enjoy yourself by reading, taking up new hobbies, or just potzing around...lol.

Hang in there, you'll make it and have the limbo in your rear view mirror.

We are so glad we retired, hope you will be too!

People have asked me in recent years when I was going to retire (will be 71 in August) and I've always told them when I'm no longer physically able to work. That time has come (arthritic hands) and I'm not happy about it. I've been self-employed since 1985, working in a shop in my backyard. I started my toolmaking (injection mold actually) apprenticeship in 1968 and that's all I've done since.

I had to abandon a lot of the old-school methods and ideas that I learned from the old Germans and Austrians that I worked for, and with, back when. I had to get into computerized machining and did so over a period of years in the 1990s. It was a big learning curve, but I enjoy it so much more than the old ways. Compare it to a farmer going from a team of horses to a tractor.

Closing one's business is nothing like retiring from a job that most people barely tolerate or maybe even hate. I enjoy what I do and it gives me a purpose in life; it gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning. There are a million things I could do to my house and/or yard but I won't do them because I don't want to. Nor do I have any interest in traveling. I already know that I will get lazier and lazier as time goes on.

So I'm in the process of doing a little tweaking on my (mostly bond) investment portfolio and will start withdrawing the interest and divvies instead of having them re-invested. I'm not happy about reaching that milestone either. Next stop is the nursing home I guess.

Oh well, it is what it is, there are no dress rehearsals.
whistle.gif

I've been thinking of trading my 2007 Corvette in on a new one. But who knows, too many unknowns right now.

Vette-July-13-2019.jpg

C8.jpg

Closing one's business is nothing like retiring from a job that most people barely tolerate or maybe even hate. I enjoy what I do and it gives me a purpose in life; it gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning. There are a million things I could do to my house and/or yard but I won't do them because I don't want to. Nor do I have any interest in traveling. I already know that I will get lazier and lazier as time goes on.

My grandfather had to retire from the police at the age of 55, it was compulsory to do so back then. Grandfather was a keen gardener, others, like neighbours and his former police friends, were impressed with his garden and many would say, can you do mine? He did and it grew into a business. My grandfather enjoyed a police pension which gave him the luxury of not being dependant on the income from his gardening business, so he could be choosy about what he took on.

Granddad was still gardening thirty years later, he loved it. But a well meaning police buddy told him that he shouldn't be doing all that labouring at his age. Grandfather took that advice and retired to his armchair. He lived for another eleven years, sadly, he didn't know much about the last ten, he lost the plot. His lesson is a lesson that I have learned, as Dolly Parton once said: "I would rather wear out than rust out."

Whatever you do I wish you well, and if your government forces electric cars on you well at least you will still be able to sit in your lovely Corvette, listening to Prince, as he sings: "Little Red Corvette." You can even make nostalgic, "brum, brum, noises, just like it once did for real"

Personally, I think it is. I looked forward to it all my working life, and wanted to retire early enough to get some relaxation in before my days were up on this earth. Too many people I know delayed their retirement, and found themselves too old and sickly to enjoy themselves. One person who I worked with passed on shortly after retirement. I hear many stories of people actually dying in the workplace of age-related illness or accident.

I live a simple life, always have. To me, just being able to live my days without having to set alarms, drive to work in snow blizzards at 5am, and deal with working for 'the man', punching the time-clock, 10 minute breaks, and deal with all the aggravations of the workplace is a blessing. For years before I retired, I thought about the day that I could say goodbye to the daily grind.

Retirement is what it's cracked up to be, and I deserve every minute of it! How about yo

Personally, I think it is. I looked forward to it all my working life, and wanted to retire early enough to get some relaxation in before my days were up on this earth. Too many people I know delayed their retirement, and found themselves too old and sickly to enjoy themselves. One person who I worked with passed on shortly after retirement. I hear many stories of people actually dying in the workplace of age-related illness or accident.

I live a simple life, always have. To me, just being able to live my days without having to set alarms, drive to work in snow blizzards at 5am, and deal with working for 'the man', punching the time-clock, 10 minute breaks, and deal with all the aggravations of the workplace is a blessing. For years before I retired, I thought about the day that I could say goodbye to the daily grind.

Retirement is what it's cracked up to be, and I deserve every minute of it! How about you??
The key to a good retire life is to keep it simple...like you thats what i did and at 83 im STILL keeping it simple..

Retirement is what it's cracked up to be, and I deserve every minute of it! How about you??
Its great for about the first 6 months to a year. Then you start looking dor things to do. TV sucks and sitting in front of it even worse.
But, you know what they say about a home owner, he's just a guy on his way to the hardware store ..

Its great for about the first 6 months to a year. Then you start looking dor things to do. TV sucks and sitting in front of it even worse.
But, you know what they say about a home owner, he's just a guy on his way to the hardware store ..
Stupid phone

Old Dummy. I was a tool and die maker for 39 years. When the computers started running the machines the company didn't let us older workers learn because they didn't want to waste time teaching people who were going to retire in a few years.
It backfired on them though. They picked a few of the brighter young folks, sent them off to get well trained and they learned very well. 3 of the first 4 they trained quit and went to a better job soon after.

I've been retired for 14 years . What I miss most was the machines. Working in a factory, they had the machines, I didn't have any at home. When I was working If I had a project around the house I could always take parts to work when I needed to. Since I retired I start a job and say this would be so easy if only I had a lathe or a mill or a grinder.

Early days into retirement for me having just pulled the pin last december. Definitely a somewhat strange feeling not having the work environment, dealing with technology issues and getting used to it all. I like the term above limbo. does seem to describe things at the moment. Having acerage helps going forward and will keep me busy. Unexpected temporary spike in lumber prices has forced me to put those off this summer so forcing me to just slow down. Even slept in to 6:30 am today. Following more sports like the eurocup and north american games helps the adjustment. Having the 6 month border collie around also gets me out and about a lot and a great way to meet people while out for a walk. Done all my major traveling so that is not on the agenda and retired to the countryside where i have no roots.

Its an interesting transition. I think i will need to learn contentment with just what is in the moment

I checked those links, OED. Didn't learn anything new, heh. But it did refresh my memory as to why documented results are not widely available -- because CBD is still illegal federally, so no real human trials can be conducted. Brilliant.

A buddy of mine (who is now 80) took CBD oil for about a year to help with hip? or knee? joint pain. He claimed it helped, but then finally admitted that it didn't. That was a huge thing for him to admit, cuz normally he will defend whatever he is doing till the end of time, and even lie about it rather than admit he was wrong about anything.

The cortisone shot I got in my wrist yesterday has made a huge difference. I woke up this morning normally, instead of from wrist pain, and haven't had to take any tylenol since before the shot.
The effects of that shot should last you a while. I know when I got cortisone for my knee, it lasted me longer than expected. I got a second shot and when I knew that was about to wear off I had an epiphany...well sort of. I'd read about additives and food allergies that can exacerbate the problems with arthritis. I had read about it in a book by Gary Null, PHD. At the time I was using about two packs of Hawaiian Punch sugar free grape drink mix. Something just told me to discontinue using and drink green tea instead. Within 24 hours, my symptoms, which was mostly stiffness not pain, disappeared. I've been drinking one or two mugs of green tea ever since and that was several years ago. I very, very rarely get arthritis pains and just recently have noticed a little stiffness has returned if I sit too long.

Just recently my DIL and I were talking about pain management because she suffers with joint and other pains (she has Fibromyalgia) when she pointed out that the drink mix I was using probably had aspartame in it. I used to be hooked on that stuff but it proved to be bad news. She just told me today about a procedure that was suggested for her other knee (she had a knee replacement in one last year). The nerves in the area where there's pain are cauterized. This procedure sounds like what was done to me to cure my atrial fibrillation 5-1/2 years ago. The areas that were "misfiring" were cauterized. I haven't had an attack since. I don't know if cauterization would be practical for your situation though.

Back