Is your life filled with the wonderful sights and sounds of tourists?

In a post, a member mentioned "leafers"- people, who come for the fall foliage- and drive at a snail's pace to see every tree. I get them, and especially on days when I have an appointment. There they are-slowly driving along, like they've never seen a tree before. I also get the NASCAR people for the races. They come in pickup trucks with 4 somewhat sober guys stuffed in the truck, and one guy in the back with his arms around a keg, guarding it with his life.
If you live in "tourist" country, you have to put up with them.

Frankly I don't like tourists at all, although sometimes I'm a tourist myself. To see the crowds in Florence or Venice for example makes me angry and sad at the same time.

Fortunately not , because I live far enough outside of the city that we don't get too many tourists, at least not enough for it to affect the traffic, etc...

I have a home in Spain as most of you know.. it's very close to the beach... and of course the tourists outnumber the residents for 6 months of the year.. even on our gated community, because so many absent owners rent their homes out to holidaymakers, and it means despite paying a lot of money annually for the use and upkeep of our communal pools we as owners are unable to use them during the summer months while they're filled with the tourists..

I have learned a lesson from this.. if I buy a new home, I will not buy anywhere near a tourist area..

I live in the Orlando, Florida, area. The "Happiest Place on Earth" isn't joy-producing for the locals who have to drive on I-4.
I have a feeling you will win the prize (along with anyone from Anaheim). We get the snowbirds in the wintertime but they are spread out the metropolitan area so don't really notice them until Spring Training starts and then it can get rather crazy here.

When I go into Washington DC to visit museums there are always a zillion tourists. The tourists themselves are fine, but all the idling tourist buses are very annoying. Also all the idling food trucks. Air pollution, bleh.

I have a feeling you will win the prize (along with anyone from Anaheim). We get the snowbirds in the wintertime but they are spread out the metropolitan area so don't really notice them until Spring Training starts and then it can get rather crazy here.
Many, many years ago, there were a few months each year when Central Florida AND Disney "belonged" to us, the locals. We could drive around town like we owned it. We could go to Disney like...well...it was OURS. We always had season passes and we could go for a couple of hours and have a good time.

Now, frankly, locals aren't particularly welcome. We don't buy souvenirs. We don't buy "extra packages". We don't eat or drink much. We don't stay in overpriced accommodations. But we pay the price for Disney's popularity....oh, yes, we do.

I live in a small village that time forgot and tourists never knew. The nearby coastal area is slightly popular, but most tourists think that Scotland only has a west coast, and I live on the east. Fine, it's quiet for the locals and the real problems are on the other side.

A few years ago the roads round the top of mainland Scotland were designated as the NC500 - the North Coast 500. This became the 'bucket list' must do for people who never have been let near a car or motorhome. The roads are narrow and hilly and unsuitable for large vehicles. There are few camp sites or stopping places. They go through small villages, much to the annoyance of the locals and leave their rubbish everywhere.

It's a beautiful, rugged area, and I avoid it like the plague since the NC500 was born.

It’s very busy from June until school goes back. I try to accomplish any chores early in the day. Vineyards to see in the fall. Also, on weekends during ski season. Busy highways and high priced gas. They come here because it’s beautiful, so I don’t mind all the tourists, as long as they leave behind $.

Last summer, we met a group of Japanese photography students and their tutor, they stopped us to ask about our film cameras and we ended up having coffee with them at a local cafe. They showed us their photos and we told them a bit of local history. It was fun.

During the 2012 Olympics we met lots of tourist, mainly Americans, and they were great. It was such a happy time and seeing so many people from around the world coming here to enjoy it too, made it all the more special. Happy days.

I know some people complain about the crowds but, I love it! :)

Reno is a tourist town. You can avoid it if you stay out of downtown from June through September. On weekends the freeway is packed so I stay off of it.

Lake Tahoe is insanely popular and the traffic moves at a snail’s pace. However, gambling and tourism is why we have no state income tax and incredibly low property taxes.

Sights and sounds of the occasional little gang of hoodlums, yes. But tourists? Never.

But I live in about a 1-sq-mile, lower-middle class, run-of-the-mill residential area constructed in the 70s. Aside from a couple of condemned former meth-labs, there's nothing to see here.

Last edited:
People come from all over the world to visit Yosemite. So, yes, it gets very busy at times with buses and tourists.
But, that's what its there for, to see the waterfalls and all the beautiful scenery it has to offer.
No, that's not 'what it's there for'. The natural world has been there since before people and now it's people who exploit it. It's the same everywhere.

I live in the Orlando, Florida, area. The "Happiest Place on Earth" isn't joy-producing for the locals who have to drive on I-4.
I avoid I-4 at all costs. Even the FHP avoids it. I use Routes 92 and 27 as often as possible. They put in express lanes on the east side of Orlando and now they are doing the same to the west side. It will help to move things along, but you will have to pay tolls to get through Disney and Orlando a little quicker.

Depending where I am going, I will sometimes use Route 50 over to the turnpike.

In a post, a member mentioned "leafers"- people, who come for the fall foliage- and drive at a snail's pace to see every tree. I get them, and especially on days when I have an appointment. There they are-slowly driving along, like they've never seen a tree before. I also get the NASCAR people for the races. They come in pickup trucks with 4 somewhat sober guys stuffed in the truck, and one guy in the back with his arms around a keg, guarding it with his life.
Leafers, I never heard that term. We call them “tree huggers.”

Last edited:
The only place around here that has a lot of tourists, is usually Cooperstown in the summer. I've gone to the Baseball Hall of Fame in the summer, and the traffic is horrible. There are quite a few other museums and the opera. Some wealthy people used to have summer homes there near the lake. Around here, the only slow moving vehicles are the Amish buggies. They are a common sight and we see them almost every day.

Living in the largest city in my country, tourists are a year round thing. The high season is May through October , but many people come here in the dead of winter for snow sports activities and of course the great food scene in Toronto goes on year round. With about 150 language groups in the city, every ethnic food you can think of can be eaten in Toronto prepared by people who know how to make it properly. JImB.

Absolutely enjoy tourists. They provide the money to pay for the services a wage tax would normally cover.

Back