Is your retirement financially difficult or comfortable?

That’s really tough Ruthanne. I bought pet insurance because even though I have the monthly payment Maltese often have expensive health issues when older. Vets in Nevada are really expensive.
I have dog insurance too with a $500.00 deductible. I have not had to use it yet because the vet bills have always been under $500.00. My income is very low, too so that's what makes it difficult mostly.

The retirement really scares me. I had bad dreams as the brake were lost and there were miles of down hill ahead.

Glad to see everyone is comfortable in their retirement. It seems that as long as one could live within what they have, it is comfortable.

With several small pensions and SS, wife and I are projected to have over $7000/month without touching our savings. I want to retire soon, but still worry about not having enough.

Here in Canada the amount of our Government pensions is not affected by any private pensions we receive. If our annual total pension income is greater than a certain amount we do have to pay

The Clawback of our Old Age Security pension that starts at age 63 can happen if your net world income exceeds the threshold amount ($81,761 for 2022), you have to repay part or your entire OAS pension.

I ditto @Gary O's response.
"For us, the word is comfortable
Not working, or going to work for somebody else
Yet an income that pays everything, and we can do pretty much what we want, when we want while putting X amount away
No year long cruises, or annual trips to Cabo"

It's coming up on 4 years since my husband passed but that has not negatively impacted my finances. I learned how to pay myself 1st and handle money pretty well every since I was in my twenties. Other factors contributing to being comfortable:
~ For the. most part, I am debt free.
~ As a co-op unit owner my housing expenses are much lower than average. Our HOA fees are only about 29% of average rents for 2 BR apartments in our county. Our mortgage is paid off.
~ As a State of New Jersey retiree I get excellent benefits, including a pension which more than covers my expenses, a Medicare PPO & an RX plan.
In addition the state reimburses me $46 a month toward Medicare.
~ For 12 years I was able to invest my social security (this year I'm using it to help my loved ones).
~ Except for my RMDs, I don't need to touch my investments.

Until COVID I was taking several weeks vacation annually. I think things have worked out (financially) better than I expected. I like that @HarryHawk used the word "blessed" to describe his situation. I feel very blessed also.

Last edited:

Back