It is a new chapter....

Mercy me.... what a week!

Not a time for feeling lonely or feeling aloneness.

I still work seasonally.... I am an Enrolled Agent with the IRS, working at HR Block..... July 15 was the deadline.... extended from April 15. Someone please tell me why, if people have three extra months to get their forms in, why do they wait until the last day.... the last minute?

But, the extra money is nice.... anyone retired and looking for work.... being a tax preparer is a good way. Classes will start soon for first year preparers to work the next tax season..... I have worked with HRBlock for 13 seasons now, made more money every year (except one)....

I have concerns with the coronavirus, especially when the state shut down Mar 23, but again these last few days when I was called in to work.... I would only do "drop offs"... so I didn't have to sit across from clients....

Yesterday, I ordered an air purifier to put in my office to help clean the air.... they do say the coronavirus is here to stay, just like the flu....

And, please, please, get you flu shots this year.....I don't every year, but this fall, I am getting a flu shot. Who wants a combined flu-coronavirus episode? no one.... so for once, even if you usually don't, please the the flu shot.

It is HOT and HUMID here..... I have so much outside work, and I have to get it done early before the sun gets too hot. I will swim later... but now... already been outside doing some work, now inside with a cup of coffee....

These days just keep rolling by....

Staying home most of the time, but sometimes duty calls. My BIL has been very ill for months. He passed this morning. I talked with him yesterday as they had made the decision to have hospice come in for his final days. When I entered the house yesterday, I was speaking "low" to my sister, and my BIL said, "Don't be whispering. I know what is going on." So, I looked at him and I said, "Today is a good day." and he said, "It is what it is, and it is a good day." Bless his heart, he was talking this morning until his heart finally gave out.

My son, on the other hand, met me halfway over the weekend to pick up his dog I had been watching. When we parted, we always say, "Drive careful." Well, I drove careful, but he drove fast. 🚓 He got stopped for speeding, 15 over the limit. When the officer👮‍♂️ walked up to the car, he provided his license and registration and a comment that he was happy to see him even if he was getting a ticket, that he totally supported the police in their work. He got a warning instead of a ticket. But, I know he was sincere in his conversation with the police officer, who told him, "Slow down and have a good day."(y)

Thank you for your sincere thoughts for my family.... my sister is doing well.

I, on the other hand, am very tired. I had the grandkids all week, well, two of them. We tent camped.... and it has rained. But, we were able to swim in the lake, fish, walk trails, and eat lots of food. We were doing outside activities, keeping away from people. And, I guess we were successful, but I am tired. And, as soon as I got home, I started the canner.... canned 14 pints of sweet pickles last night, along with 14 pints of salsa, put most the okra in the freezer, and canned a canner of 2 quarts potatoes, 5 quarts tomatoes.... sure am tired today.

Thank you for your sincere thoughts for my family.... my sister is doing well.

I, on the other hand, am very tired. I had the grandkids all week, well, two of them. We tent camped.... and it has rained. But, we were able to swim in the lake, fish, walk trails, and eat lots of food. We were doing outside activities, keeping away from people. And, I guess we were successful, but I am tired. And, as soon as I got home, I started the canner.... canned 14 pints of sweet pickles last night, along with 14 pints of salsa, put most the okra in the freezer, and canned a canner of 2 quarts potatoes, 5 quarts tomatoes.... sure am tired today.
WoW ! no wonder you are tired.., but I bet the children had a wonderful time with you, so you've achieved a great thing for them and for your sister , just remember to take care of your own health too :)

I don't know if I posted already that I purchased a pressure canner.

This has been a learning experience, which just shows you that and old dog can learn new tricks. In the past, I always used water canners. I have tried pressure canning so many new items in the past month.... I canned beef.... first time.... sketchy feeling so I took it out of the jars and put it in baggies in the freezer.... :unsure: Then, I did hamburger.... that was a success. (y) Next, I tried canning chicken. I think the first set was a failure...the water got hazy, so it became dog food. I did a second attempt, and I feel really good about it. Used it on salad when my son was there for lunch. Just popped open a pint and it was ready to go on top of salad.

I'm glad to learn how to can meats. And, I canned potatoes. Now, you can laugh all you want saying potatoes are plentiful, but I'm looking to can meals.... So now, I can have canned roast, potatoes, and green beans. Pop open the cans and heat it up. And, save money.

That was my first toy. Then, I got a food saver.

Thank you, Youtube. I watched a lot of videos on how to use the food saver to vacuum seal dry goods like crackers, cookies, and pasta products. I haven't tried this new toy yet. I have been a little busy, but I hope to try using it soon. The vacuum seal extends the life of frozen food, up to 2-3 years. The vacuum seal on jars will work that long as well.

Come on, now, pandemic.... I'm ready for that food shortage now!

If I could only can toilet paper. :ROFLMAO:

I can't believe my last posting was on the first of August... and here it is, the end of August. I guess I have been busy and didn't realize how busy I really was.

I had a second round of grandkids visiting. They wanted to be in the water all the time. Amazing that so many pools were closed when the CDC posted that the chlorine in the pools would kill the virus, but still, pools stayed closed. We spent three days swimming at the lake, nice sunny times except for one downpour, when we here in a shelter house while 3-4 inches of raid fell. Yes, I left my windows down and could not abandon the kids to go close my windows. It took days for the car to completely dry out.

The garden has still been producing, though not as much, but it is just as well. There are no more canning jars or lids to be had. I collected over a 100 jars this summer in addition to what I already had, and filled them all up. I found 16 jars at Target last week which will be filled before the end of summer. I am now working on meals in jars, you know, where you just open a jar and all the contents for the meal is ready to go. I fixed six taco soup jars a couple days ago, and I am going to try one out today. If anyone has any ideas for meals, please, let me know.

It is August, and now school has started, and I will see less and less of the family until the holidays. Now is the time that I take courses online... from now through November. That keeps me very busy, and it keeps my mind busy also.

I went with a friend to an archaeology presentation on Saturday. I love archaeology. I love digging... and I mean digging anything with a trowel. These presentations were Indian relics, which are my least favorite historical items. My favorite.... digging Biblical archaeology in Israel. In the states, my favorites are the historical digs. There's not much archaeology going on nowadays with the covid-19. Maybe next year. The presentations were nice representing the area for Indian history. There were no speakers or special sessions, but it was a beautiful drive. The scenery was a change from my norm.

I cannot believe it is the end of August already. I worked this last week, when I wasn't in classes, so the week just flew by, but now I am behind on yard work and housework. But, I have all of September to get caught up!;) Who am i kidding, I will never get caught up.

You certainly have been a busy bee, Ellen. Next week I begin my busy time as I plan on visiting my son for 2 weeks down the shore. I fully intend to get some fun in this summer, even at the tail end of it. Looking forward to getting out in that boat as often as possible. I know I'll have at least 3 days on it over the Labor Day holiday and on the weekends. If it is warm enough, we'll even go out in the evenings. How's that pressure cooker coming? I am so leery of them since some years ago, my aunt's blew its top and the chicken inside stuck to the ceiling. I'll stick with the oven thank you. I use my slow cooker all the time.

How's that pressure cooker coming?

I'm having problems with anything that is pressure canned for 90 minutes. There is, what is called, siphoning from the jars, that means, the seal isn't going to hold. I have about relented to a maximum of 75 minutes, meaning using pints instead of quarts for those items requiring high amounts of canning time. Thanks for asking.

Enjoy your time with family

I'm having problems with anything that is pressure canned for 90 minutes. There is, what is called, siphoning from the jars, that means, the seal isn't going to hold. I have about relented to a maximum of 75 minutes, meaning using pints instead of quarts for those items requiring high amounts of canning time. Thanks for asking.

Enjoy your time with family
Your seal should hold as long as your lid is put on a clean jar and there is about an inch of room at the top. Good luck with it. No better feeling than growing and preserving your own food.

It is so hard to be motivated some days.... It was a piddle day.... didn't get much done.

But I earned brownie points with my fur babies. I cleaned out the freezer yesterday because winter meat was/is coming. I found an old package of hamburger. I cooked it up today to make dog food with 2 cups of rice and some green beans.... the dogs loved me (more than usual).

It was a busy weekend.... on the mountaintop, so to speak. My daughter and family came on Friday and Saturday, and my son and family came on Sunday and Monday..... After my daughter visited, I told my son that all the snacks were gone along with all the Kool-Aid, Gatorade, cookies, watermelon, fruit, and strawberry milk. :) So I cooked a big meal on Sunday....ham, mac and cheese, veggies, and a peanut butter pie, cheesecake, and blackberry cobbler. I told him they could snack on desserts.... and they did.

I went out in a paddle boat, went out in a canoe, and swam in the coldest water of the season. It was a cold Labor Day weekend. There are a lot of touristy sites in this area, so we visited a few since it was just too cold to spend time in the water. Today, the heat index is 95.... I know the water would be warm today, but all the swimming areas here close on Labor Day. I did get in one last swim yesterday evening.... now for the fall weather.

Changed the wreaths on the doors and brought up the pumpkin fall stuff. The mums are beginning to bloom.... the only ones that survive are the white flowers... all the nice fall color mums have died away.

The grandkids planted pumpkin seeds this year. They didn't do well, but they got to take pumpkins home to decorate/paint for the porch. I would have preferred to can a couple, but there weren't any extras..... I guess I will buy pumpkin for pies in the fall...

I have a class later, so I think I will study .... after a nap.

I love the dogs. You have an interesting life, Ellen. I loved hearing about your family being there for the holiday.
Thank you, but they all live out of state.... with school on now, I might see them once before the Holidays... even grandparents day at the school was cancelled.....:( But, the next birthday is in early October.... then there is halloween.... I only have two dogs BTW... one belongs to my son...... I have a fenced in back yard and doggie door.... so they are always in and out even if I am not home.

I have got to stay off facebook. That is why I came to this forum.... for the peace.....

I was up early, and I first thing, I checked out facebook..... oh, all the false news and personal insults that are slung everywhere. You simply can't carry on a decent conversation anymore. I do wish the NEWS was NEWS.... instead of sensationalism based on wanting increased ratings. What is the name of the award that goes to the actors/actresses???? I see "newscasters" every day that are deserving of awards for best drama, or best drama queen....

I love the peace on this forum.

Last edited:
Okay.... now I am depressed on this forum......😲 I saw an interesting thread about posting a picture of your hometown.... and everyone had these wonderful pictures of the ocean, pools, beautiful homes and gardens, architectural remains and modern buildings.....

I look outside, and I see a two-lane country road with a street light in the dark. :oops:

I guess it is a sad day. I just bought a small bicycle for my youngest grandchild for a birthday present. No toddlers left, only two-wheelers.... I'm feeling ancient today. They grow up so fast.

Back