It's surprisingly easy to deceive people

I think hiding illness really depends on whay kind of a community you are in, or specifically, who you are with.

I've known people who are really sharp, notice all kinds of details that others do not. Like a medical person blurted out to me once, "You have a slight limp". Yes, yes I do. It showed up a lot back then because one knee was giving me a lot of trouble. It comes and goes now, that knee trouble. See a doctor? Why? All they can do is replace it. How fun. I'll wait on that surgery.

You cannot walk around telling everyone everything. Would be nice, I guess, if we lived and worked in communities that were that kumbaya and kind, a Giant Support Network of a town of city. But people are just not like that! In every 10 people, you're going to find at least one psycopath-type and if you're really unlucky, she is your boss, or you have married him.

And guess what quality about 22% of CEOs have? They tend to be on the psychopath side of personality types - very interested in themselves alone, very willing to destroy weaker opponents or those perceived to be weaker opponents. (My ex-spouse is like this.)

Profiling CEOs and Their Sociopathic Paychecks
When Your Boss Is a Psychopath

In your book, maybe the main character has people with psychopath traits all around her at work, so she justifiably does not trust them?
https://www.choosingtherapy.com/signs-of-a-psychopath/
Psychopathy

Doesn't trust have to be earned? Seriously - think about that. Doesn't it?

Back