It's Time to Re-visit the Art of the Cigar Box

iu
iu

lf

"Abraham Lincoln: Never-Before-Seen Civil War Era Wooden Cigar Box. 5" x 7.5" x 4" wooden box with blue paper trim. The lid is stamped "Lincoln P.T.L." above an eagle and wreath. There is a paper end label which features a beardless portrait of Lincoln, titled "A. Lincoln, Fabrica De Tabacos" with the address of a Havana producer. Opposite end stenciled "Colorado 100". Lid still attached, secured on the opposite side with a cord. The tall shape is typical of early cigar boxes. Somewhat delicate, as to be expected. Almost certainly contemporary with Lincoln's Presidency. We are reliably informed the maker was Bancés y Suaréz of Havana. Cigars named after famous American statesmen were routinely exported to the U.S. during this period."

From the Collection of David and Janice Frent

My father took me to a fair in Chicago. I was too young to know what fair it was, but there was lots to see and do. There were some men making cigars. I suppose they were for sale, but then I thought it was just an exhibition on how cigars were made. There was a lot of rolling by hands on the table, between hands, and a nearly finished cigar slapped into a mold, made of two metal plates that could hold a half dozen cigars. I don't know what happened after that, because were just passing by. It all looked very unsanitary. There may have been human spit involved. I suppose it's different now.

How did Prince Albert get into the can?
375px-Prince_Albert_tobacco_advertisement%2C_1913.jpg

"Prince Albert is an American brand of hand-rolled-cigarette and pipe tobacco, introduced by the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in 1907. It has been owned since 1987 by John Middleton Inc."

"Prince Albert is one of the more popular independent brands of pipe tobacco in the United States; in the 1930s, it was the "second largest money-maker" for Reynolds. More recently, it has also become available in the form of pipe-tobacco cigars. (A 1960s experiment with filtered cigarettes was deemed a failure. The blend is burley-based and remains one of America's top-selling pipe tobaccos."

"The tobacco was personally named by R. J. Reynolds after Edward VII, who was known as Prince Albert before being crowned King. The portrait of Prince Albert was based on one acquired by Reynolds at a tea party with Mark Twain."

HOW TO SPOT FAKE CUBAN CIGARS ?​

"This guide will help you tell fake Cuban cigars from the real thing".
051214-SpotFakeCubans.jpg

"One of the questions I’m often asked by other cigar smokers is, “How do I know if I bought a box of fake Cuban cigars?” It’s a good question because, even though on October 14, 2016, the U.S. Treasury Department announced that they had removed the limits on bringing Cuban cigars and rum into the United States from Cuba and other countries, there are still plenty of counterfeit Cuban cigars to be had – or to put it another way – to be duped". (Read More)

HOW TO SPOT FAKE CUBAN CIGARS ?​

They can't speak Spanish. 🤣

Back