I've been on a peanut kick lately. How do you like your peanuts?

Ruth n Jersey

Do you like them in the shell? salted or unsalted.
Dry roasted in the can?
When visiting the south I tried boiled peanuts. I really didn't like them. I wasn't sure if I should take the shells off.
Lately my son has been eating the shells and all. I don't know how he could even swallow those dry shells.
My favorite use to be the little bag of Planters peanuts,swimming in oil and salt. They always sold them near the candy bars. I'm not sure if they are available anymore and I bet that greasy old oil has been changed to something "healthy" and there went the flavor.
Now I like sitting and shelling them out. They are so habit forming.

Roasted and salted. I haven't had one of those little greasy bags of them from the vending machine in ages.

I ate them boiled once when I was down south; had never heard of boiled before. They were pretty good.

There was a Planter's Peanut store downtown when I was a child. There was a huge barrel on it's side, rolling continuously while roasting peanuts in it.

Planter's Peanuts had the famous "Mr. Peanut" logo. A guy dressed up like him would often walk up and down the street, handing out mini bags of free peanuts.

When I got my first car, a VW Beetle, I painted the "Mr. Peanut on the driver's side door. He was easy to paint.

273939433135977958a216417834681f.jpg

Last edited:
In the shell, roasted and well salted. Used to frequent a "peanut shells on the floor" bar some years ago. There was some sort of primal satisfaction about crunching the shells open, chomping the legumes and then tossing the hulls on the floor while enjoying a cold brew.

The peanut shells help keep me busy. The pistachio shells make me crazy.
I saw you like to feed the squirrels. I used to buy bulk in-the-shell raw peanuts for the pileated woodpeckers here. I have one of these holders:

af25a8764cbcd497e85f492ae191ad9c.jpg

You unloop it so it's straight like a stretched Slinkey, pour the peanuts into it, loop it back into a circle, then hang it as high as you can get it. It holds the peanuts inside, but the birds can pull them out through the coils.

salted. I ordered a bunch of trail mix and it has plenty of peanuts and walnuts in it all unsalted as it is organic. I wasn't paying attention to the organic part. My son will eat them. I found my old fashion real y & S licorice which I loved as a kid. It isn't candy, more medicinal, but if you love the real licorice, bitter but good, this is great. Can only eat a small amount every other day as it affects liver, and kidneys. But is good for digestion and a not good for hypertension or heart failurewith edema.

This thread reminded me of GORP, good old raisins and peanuts.

GORP was supposedly invented by a couple of surfers in 1968 but I always think of it in connection with the Girl Scouts.

These days I leave out the raisins and add a handful of chocolate chips for a salty-sweet snack.
When I went on one of my white water rafting trips, the guides said it stood for "granola, oatmeal, raisins and peanuts." Whatever it is, it's pretty good.

Back