John Stewart cries when he talks about the loss of his dog

They are family. I still cry when I think of the things they (cats and dogs) used to do. I will go to pieces with the current ones also. I sometimes think I should not get any more when they go. But noooooo, I will rescue more.
I'm with you. I'll always have cats. If I think I'm not long for the world, I'll get a cat that isn't either. I'll have them as long as I can care for them.

Jon's dog was a pitbull.”

@Pepper I used to feel similarly about pit bulls but I see it differently now having read Bandit: Dossier of a dangerous dog, (1991) bu Vicki Hearns. I’m still cautious around those and similar dogs because of the potential to do real harm which men have bred into them and because there are so many vicious, twisted people who like to bring out that potential.

I first read her book Adam's Task: Calling animals by name, (1986) which convinced me she had a lot of good insight into dogs. Reading about her posthumously now online I can see why I got that impression. Vicki Hearne

“Hearne .. attended the University of California, receiving a B.A. in English.

She subsequently spent more than 25 years studying animal behavior as a horse and dog trainer. Central to Hearne's view on animal training was her belief that animals should not be defined by behaviorists' dictates, that in their individuality they have the capacity to be in reciprocal relationships with humans both emotionally and morally. In addition to her poetry, she authored several books on animals and animal-training theory, including Adam's Task, Bandit, and Animal Happiness.

In the mid-1980s she was offered an appointment at Yale University, inducing a move from California to Connecticut. Eventually, she settled in Westbrook, Connecticut.”

I don’t know if I still have the Bandit book about but I remember her describing pit bulls as protective and exceptionally moral dogs with a keen sense about people’s intentions.

As I said, I’m still cautious around that and similar breeds but I no longer think the danger flows from the dogs natural inclinations, only from their being mistreated and having been bred with enhanced capacity to do harm.

My son’s dog died on Wednesday. She was an English Setter. Her name is Blaze. She could give my wife and I the best greeting when we visited. Of course, she knew I carried treats for her. She had heart issues and would have terrible coughing spells. I would lay on the floor with her and rub her belly. She loved it. I think she was 13 or 14. My son buried her ashes at our house in the mountains. He said he put up a cross and my granddaughter made a memorial plaque that he mounted on top of the plot. She was a good dog and a great watch dog.

Death of Jon Stewart's dog prompts flood of donations to animal shelter

Jon Stewart's tearful farewell to his dog, Dipper, on "The Daily Show" quickly had the New York City animal shelter the pup came from inundated with donations. A week later, the money is still rolling in.

"We're just shy of $50,000," Tiffany Lacey, Animal Haven's executive director, told CBS News on Friday, four days after the show aired. "This is a big deal, and it's unexpected," she said of the donations. Three days later, the cash pot had expanded by another 10 grand. "We are at $60,000 now and they are still dripping in," Lacey reported late Monday afternoon.

"This is in memory of Dipper, so the donations will be used for the dogs," notably vet care, training, food and treats, Lacey added.

Many of us who've had pets over the years understand Jon Stewart's reaction to the death of his dog, I abhor people who might say it's only a dog, why are you crying. I can't understand that. Our pets bring us joy and unconditional love and we in return shower them with love. And I thank him for adopting a rescue, Dipper hit the jackpot.
When we had our last two dogs put to sleep DH was a mess, he cried for days he was so overcome with grief. And then we adopt another dog and start the process again, sadly now it is up to me , I hope I live out my dog then I will only foster.

Back