Lara's Southern Porch Party & Poetry

Lara

Friend of the Arts
Hi and thanks for stopping by! I left the porch light on in hopes you would. I'll start off with a poem I just wrote. My real name is Laurie but I go by "Lara" here because "Laurie" is already in use by an active member. I like Lara better anyway (less complicated). Maybe I'll legalize it :) Here's my poem I penned today. The link below is the beautiful Sax music by KennyG that I was inspired by. The poetic form I used is called Cinquain (pronounced "Sin Cane") which is 5 lines per stanza and must have 2-4-6-8-2 syllable count:

Summer Night

warm night
veranda view
night-jasmine lingers
under a canopy of stars
they dine

music
moon-kissed merlot
sweet as a summer's rose
stargazer-lilies and fireflies
enchant

summer
moonlight and mood
in sensual silence
barely dancing to KennyG
hearts one
~ Lara

"The Moment"
Kenny G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=447yaU_4DF8

Last edited:
You two are fast. Thank you for viewing and commenting. I used to have Night-Jasmine when I lived in San Diego and yes, the aroma, is intoxicatingly glorious.

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I left the porch light on in hopes you would. I'll start off with a poem I just wrote. My real name is Laurie but I go by "Lara" here because "Laurie" is already in use by an active member. I like Lara better anyway (less complicated). Maybe I'll legalize it :) Here's my poem I penned today. The link below is the beautiful Sax music by KennyG that I was inspired by. The poetic form I used is called Cinquain (pronounced "Sin Cane") which is 5 lines per stanza and must have 2-4-6-8-2 syllable count:

Summer Night

warm night
veranda view
night-jasmine lingers
under a canopy of stars
they dine

music
moon-kissed merlot
sweet as a summer's rose
stargazer-lilies and fireflies
enchant

summer
moonlight and mood
in sensual silence
barely dancing to KennyG
hearts one
~ Lara

"The Moment"
Kenny G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=447yaU_4DF8

Lovely, Lara, Kenny G is one of my favorites.

Hi Lara, lotta traffic on your porch! I enjoyed reading your poem, but never experienced jasmine flowers. Here's a Ken Gorelick version. :) In 1997,he earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. Using circular breathing, Kenny G held an E-flat for 45 minutes and 47 seconds at J&R Music World in New York City.

Thank you meanderer…so so much. That was beautiful. Then I watched Stan Getz' "Autumn Leaves" and it was interesting to compare the 2. Getz sounds smoother and more mellow than KennyG. The 2 saxophones look different so that must be why the sounds are different.

Thank you meanderer…so so much. That was beautiful. Then I watched Stan Getz' "Autumn Leaves" and it was interesting to compare the 2. Getz sounds smoother and more mellow than KennyG. The 2 saxophones look different so that must be why the sounds are different.

There are alto, tenor, bass & baritone saxea-----------Kenny G plays alto sax most times & Getz played tenor and that's why the difference. Do a UTube for Charlie Parker, Gerry Mulligan, John Coltrane and listen to some of the greatest sxaphone ever.

Thank you TeeJay and Grumpy. Looking forward to your poems! Have been enjoying your diary.
Thank you Lon and Applecruncher. I can't wait to listen to all your suggestions!!

I love all the support here. What a friendly bunch crowded here on my porch lol. Sweet tea anyone? Mint Julep?

Attachments

• dsc07280.jpg
    dsc07280.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 151
2008-10-06-ireckon.jpg

The Reckoning
…I reckon it’s time to beckon for the check…at the Beanery. Recognize that sometimes…things just don’t add up…in our eyes …reckon I might just run out….of fingers to count with. Can I wash a dish?
…I reckon I will recline…awhile, and figure out what lumber…we will need. I recommend a plan…of action, when we build…as members of the guild. My reckoning fails…when calculating how many nails.
…nor, did I reckon I would recite….half the night, on the price of oil. A drop here…a drop there, I recoil at the viscosity of oil. The tin-man made out OK…in his own way…I reckon …he had the heart for it.
…I reckon that “90% of this job is half the battle”…I know…Casey said so…I reckon. A recipe is calling…at the Beanery…I reckon I will recede to a table…while I am able, and write on….a napkin….or two.

Meanderer, did you write "The Reckoning" yourself??! I thought about stating that my " only i " poem was in the style of Avant-Garde but then I thought maybe it wasn't as avant-garde as I was trying to be. But yours IS! It's amazing! I love it!

Meanderer, did you write "The Reckoning" yourself??! I thought about stating that my " only i " poem was in the style of Avant-Garde but then I thought maybe it wasn't as avant-garde as I was trying to be. But yours IS! It's amazing! I love it!
Thanks, but I tried writing in the meandering, "String-Cheese" style. To paraphrase the words of Richard Nixon...I am not a poet!:)

Trust me, meanderer, the "Grand Poobah of Poetry" has granted you the title of "Your String-Cheese Poet Highness". Good job. (and did you also do the abacus art?)

Ameriscot, a sweet tea coming your way for a sweet friend :love_heart:

Trust me, meanderer, the "Grand Poobah of Poetry" has granted you the title of "Your String-Cheese Poet Highness". Good job. (and did you also do the abacus art?)

Ameriscot, a sweet tea coming your way for a sweet friend :love_heart:

Aww thanks! The only thing I miss food-wise from the US is being able to order real sweet iced tea when I go to a restaurant.

Annie, my friend told me about Crystal Light instant teas.....I never thought I'd like instant tea, but it is a good product, not sure you can get it there, I like the peach flavored and lemon, I have just about quit brewing tea after I tired this.

Annie, my friend told me about Crystal Light instant teas.....I never thought I'd like instant tea, but it is a good product, not sure you can get it there, I like the peach flavored and lemon, I have just about quit brewing tea after I tired this.

Thanks Jackie, but I never really liked instant teas and can make my own sweet tea from hot at home, but that never solved the issue of being able to order it when eating out in a restaurant.

Thanks....no, I found the artwork online.

Back