Let's post anything and everything pertaining to Valentine's Day.

true-love.gif

Saint Valentine

iu

When I try to research the St. Valentine we commemorate with love, it gets more and more confusing. It appears there were at least two or 3 martyrs named Valentine who perished on Feb 14th.

Here's one of the briefest stories from Wiki-

Saint Valentine (Italian: San Valentino, Latin: Valentinus) known as Saint Valentine of Rome was a widely recognized 3rd-century Roman saint, commemorated in Christianity on February 14.

From the High Middle Ages his Saints' Day has been associated with a tradition of courtly love. He is also a patron saint of epilepsy.[2]

Saint Valentine was a clergyman – either a priest or a bishop – in the Roman Empire who ministered to persecuted Christians.[3]

He was martyred and his body buried at a Christian cemetery on the Via Flaminia close to the Ponte Milvio to the north of Rome, on February 14, which has been observed as the Feast of Saint Valentine (Saint Valentine's Day) since 496 AD.

There are also stories claiming that he married couples in order for the male to avoid conscription into the Roman Army.

Also, another story has Valentine imprisoned for his Christian faith, restored sight to the jailer's daughter, fell in love with her but was still beheaded by the emperor.

The night before he died, he left her a letter signed "from your Valentine".

💝

The supervisor I had when I was in my 30's was a few months younger than me. We were both into music and shopping. He was very thoughtful and generous as far as getting us presents for our birthdays and holidays. One Valentines day, he bought me this 45, What You Won't Do For Love. I was blown away because I'd never seen anything like it.
R43e591644fc40b8e80858092aeeca6d4.jpg

Back