Life on the Patio

Patio Life

So, I'm going to try using this diary. In the past I have not been too consistent, we'll see how I do. LOL

Today will be a day to do much of nothing. Plenty of left overs in the frig, house is sort of clean. OK the house is never totally clean, but it's not cluttered and mostly dusted. I need to clean the bird cage. The kitchen floor needs mopped, but I'm not doing it today. Hubby is making breakfast and then he will bake bread. He does all the cooking and food shopping.

Tomorrow will be very busy, so today is very laid back.

Yesterday was good. Went out to dinner with Hubby and the neighbors, so 6 of us. I could not sleep last night. Finally went to sleep about 2am, got up at 6:30am so I could take S. for her weekly blood draw.

S is 59 and has brain cancer. She has made it a year, maybe a few months left.

We pick up our new exchange student this afternoon. He is 16yrs old and from Denmark. He will be with us for the school year. It will be 110F when he arrives. The heat is always a difficult thing to adjust to.

I need to get a few small household tasks done. I am tired. I need energy for later today.

Yesterday was as busy as I thought it would be. The kids from next door made breakfast here. We all went to pick up our exchange student. Went out for early dinner, got home about 6:30pm. Got our kid settled in just a bit, he was very tired and had hit the wall. Neighbor came over for a bit and we sat on the patio having late coffee. Went to be about 10:30 and slept really well!!!

Today is phone store, grocery store (Hubby will do), I left message for school counselor for an appointment to get kid registered. School starts Monday. I got 3 loads of laundry done - 1 of mine - 1 for kid - 1 for neighbor grandma who has cancer. I just do the towels and bedding so her daughter has less work to do.

It's now too hot to do anything. I wish it would rain.
Gyros later today with our family (hubby, kid and I), neighbors (2), friends from across the street (2) an d1 other friend. Afterwards we all come back to our place for cake and wine.

I am busy, tired and happy.

Yesterday was as busy as I thought it would be. The kids from next door made breakfast here. We all went to pick up our exchange student. Went out for early dinner, got home about 6:30pm. Got our kid settled in just a bit, he was very tired and had hit the wall. Neighbor came over for a bit and we sat on the patio having late coffee. Went to be about 10:30 and slept really well!!!

Today is phone store, grocery store (Hubby will do), I left message for school counselor for an appointment to get kid registered. School starts Monday. I got 3 loads of laundry done - 1 of mine - 1 for kid - 1 for neighbor grandma who has cancer. I just do the towels and bedding so her daughter has less work to do.

It's now too hot to do anything. I wish it would rain.
Gyros later today with our family (hubby, kid and I), neighbors (2), friends from across the street (2) an d1 other friend. Afterwards we all come back to our place for cake and wine.

I am busy, tired and happy.
Patio Life...how very kind of you to help your neighbor with the medical condition!

Getting to know our exchange student is fun. He started out bragging about his country and life, very normal. He has told us a bit about the food, they don't eat many eggs in Denmark. He had his first deviled egg yesterday, he liked it.

We got him registered in school, 8am appointment. Went to Urgent Care for his sports phys. He did the online info class and filled out all the papers. Today he will take them to the school so he can start practice.

Had a big family dinner with the neighbors, 7 of us at the table. Lots of fun. Afterwards the kids went to the mall LOL. I fell asleep at 9pm in my recliner. Today our kid will sleep in, still jet lagged.

Our neighbor (the grandmother) with cancer is doing ok at the moment. She is physically able but in real mental decline, sort of like Alzheimer's. Hubby has looked into term life insurance for her, has to be vested immediately. This is so her daughter will be able to go to school and get a good job to support herself and her 12 yr old daughter. It isn't any sacrifice to help them. As the old song says "(S)He's not heavy, (s)he's my sister" The family of community.

I will make potato salad today and get all the fixings for chicken burritos. Need to make the not spicy burritos.

Sounds so great, Patio...it appears where you live there is a "village" thought concept when it comes to helping each other. Wonderful.
Didn't know that life insurance could be secured if there was a major pre-existing condition like she has. That would be a Godsend for them. Posts like yours give me hope for humanity!

Well, yes, I did miss a day or two.
Had an old fashioned heart attack on the 1st. One stent is in place, the second one will be put in on Monday. I slept a lot, good drugs.

Things I learned: half the people I know are afraid I will die and not be there to help them deal with things they can't / don't want to do.

A few people have found it necessary to tell me how my being in the hospital has upset their plans for the weekend.

Some people are sure things will be just fine and don't like it that I want no visitors so I can sleep and rest. It seems I am depriving them of being helpful. LOL

I might post on Sunday, Monday for sure not, Tuesday who knows at this point.

Well, yes, I did miss a day or two.
Had an old fashioned heart attack on the 1st. One stent is in place, the second one will be put in on Monday. I slept a lot, good drugs.

Things I learned: half the people I know are afraid I will die and not be there to help them deal with things they can't / don't want to do.

A few people have found it necessary to tell me how my being in the hospital has upset their plans for the weekend.

Some people are sure things will be just fine and don't like it that I want no visitors so I can sleep and rest. It seems I am depriving them of being helpful. LOL

I might post on Sunday, Monday for sure not, Tuesday who knows at this point.
OMG...pray you get well soon and back to feeling great and wonderful. Its fantastic you are doing so good! Yes, people are really "into themselves" a lot aren't they?! So many haven't learned to just "listen" and take their cue from what you really want, not what's on their agenda.
But, people are people and "it is what it is" as my hubby always said. Hang in there and let us know when you are up and about..we'll love hearing from you when you feel like it.

th-1.jpeg

I'm feeling a bit better, happy to be home.

still really tired. Hubby is taking good care of me.

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes and thoughts.

Fantastic that you are back home Patio. Just take it easy, day by day. Kick back and read a good book or something.
So glad you are able to be back home, sit up and take nourishment - no place like home for a rapid recovery. Sounds like you've done marvelously well!

Today was not so good. I did get hungry, ate a bit more than half a cheese crisp, just cheese and flour tortilla. My stomach and intestines' went in to full rebellion. Spent most of the day in pain, until the diarrhea hit again, I've had this from the day after I came home from the hospital. Feel like a goose. But the pain stopped. Back to eating white rice, toast, a bit of scrambled egg. I have lost 7 lbs in 7 days. I am staying hydrated.

My joints hurt and my sciatic nerve is very unhappy. Once I can walk more my back should feel better. As soon as the slice in my groin heals I will be ready to walk more.

I'm tired and ready to feel better - now!

Today was not so good. I did get hungry, ate a bit more than half a cheese crisp, just cheese and flour tortilla. My stomach and intestines' went in to full rebellion. Spent most of the day in pain, until the diarrhea hit again, I've had this from the day after I came home from the hospital. Feel like a goose. But the pain stopped. Back to eating white rice, toast, a bit of scrambled egg. I have lost 7 lbs in 7 days. I am staying hydrated.

My joints hurt and my sciatic nerve is very unhappy. Once I can walk more my back should feel better. As soon as the slice in my groin heals I will be ready to walk more.

I'm tired and ready to feel better - now!
For the diarrhea, try the BRATS method...banana, rice, applesauce, toast. It works.
Takes time for you to get back, suggestion: just don't try to overdue it, surgery is an insult to your body, just take it slowly and kindly.

This morning was ok. I did one load of laundry, put the giant pile of dirty dishes into the dishwasher, cleaned the toaster and one very small area of counter top. Cleaned just the front of the microwave. Took me an hour.
Ate a bit and took a 1.5 hr nap.
Woke up to the same intestinal stuff. So I am just resting for the remainder of the day. Now that the drugs from the hospital have worn off - I have noticed the house is a complete mess!!!!

Hubby seems to think that as I am well enough to be home - I am 100% well. I explained it to him again. He just won't help unless I get angry - I don't have the energy to waste. He is all talk and no do. Why I think this time will be different, I have no clue.

Hope you heal rapidly, Patio. Doesn't look like you're going to get any help, for which I am so sorry!

I don't understand why anyone left his/her mess for you to clean, sick or not, in the first place.
Best wishes.

Quick note. I woke up at 4am. Only did a couple of tiny things and went back to bed at 7am, after I took my meds. Woke up at 10am. I do want to do a couple of tiny things and take a shower.

I hate showers. Have to wait until my groin heals to take a nice long bath.

Because I can no longer take the ibuprofen my hands, knees and sciatic nerve hurt. I will ask about what I can take at my apt on the 28th.

Update 4pm. My neighbor took me to the store and I bought food I think I can eat, small portions, for about a week. Ate yummy hummus and pita chips, my stomachic doesn't like it. Oh well. Hubby did a bunch of housework!!! My small chat must have done some good. He also hired a woman to come over Thurs and do the heavy stuff.

I will call the heart Dr Monday and leave a message about my not being able to eat much. Will also call my PCP for an appointment so I can get a referral to the heart Dr. and make the insurance co happy.

Last edited:
For the diarrhea, try the BRATS method...banana, rice, applesauce, toast. It works.
Takes time for you to get back, suggestion: just don't try to overdue it, surgery is an insult to your body, just take it slowly and kindly.
Liberty, thank you for the suggestion. I am going to try it.
I forget that the stent placement is surgery. Thinking of it as heart surgery to place stents makes much more sense.

Today was better. Some icky tummy when I eat, but sooooo much better. I'm still very tired but awake enough to not be happy about it - I will take a tiny short walk in the morning before it gets hot.

I was kind to myself today.

Well, I didn't take a walk this morning. Did not sleep well. Woke up at 2am, ate toast about 6am and went back to bed. Sort of slept until 8am. By then it was almost 100F, not walking in that heat.

I'm up now, tired.

I figured out why my brother is going to be in the city on Sunday. He is going go to a party on Sat. I could just go over there and see him for a few minutes and come home. Whatever.

Back