Local Changes Due to Coronavirus.

All Virginia schools are closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year as of today.....
Parents are being given the choice to either have their children held back a grade (repeat the same grade they're in now) or forward them to the next grade.....makes sense to me.

Last edited:
All Virginia schools are closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year as of today.....
Parents are being given the choice to either have their children held back a grade (repeat the same grade they're in now) or forward them to the next grade.....makes sense to me.
I think this is going to be the rule rather than the exception. Los Angeles Unified School District (2nd largest district in the US) announced yesterday that they will remain closed until at least May 1.

Interesting that in Virginia there's enough parental/school interest in children repeat a grade that the system would offer it as an option. I'd have thought it would be a rare exception.

Last edited:
I would think that the kids had enough months of whatever grade they were in to move forward. It's just 3 months off out of a 9 month school year. Unless a child has learning issues I can't see the need to make them repeat.

And can't their out of work parents pick up the slack and educate the kids? Both my parents always worked, but dad taught me math and mom taught me how to write and English. BOTH read to me daily. Parents took parenting seriously in those days.

On second thought, why dont the teachers be the final decision makers if the kids get promoted or not, IF the kids and parents are diligent about finishing the school work online that they receive on a daily basis? that makes more sense to me now.

We went to the bank yesterday. Only the drive thru was open. The teller was talking to us on a screen. There was one other customer at the other lane. It took 20 minutes to get a cashier's check.
There have been reports of runs on banks.
There are reports of ATMs limiting amounts that can be withdrawn. I never use ATMs.
The grocery store had a sign limiting cash back added to your bill to $20. I never use cash back, either.
Fortunately, there isn't much need for cash at the moment.
when-things-are-closed.jpg

What I'm finding eerie is how quiet it is outside. I live a stone's throw from the Washington, DC, Beltway, and have always treasured the morning of January 1st every year, because that's the only time we can't hear a constant low-level hum of traffic on the Beltway. Now it's like New Year's Day morning, all day long, every day. And no cars on our street, and no plane flights overhead, either. It's like I've suddenly been transported to a very rural area. Weird!

What I'm finding eerie is how quiet it is outside. I live a stone's throw from the Washington, DC, Beltway, and have always treasured the morning of January 1st every year, because that's the only time we can't hear a constant low-level hum of traffic on the Beltway. Now it's like New Year's Day morning, all day long, every day. And no cars on our street, and no plane flights overhead, either. It's like I've suddenly been transported to a very rural area. Weird!

Same here. Very quiet and kind of eerie.

What a great idea. I have seen reports of school-age kids out at playgrounds like everything is normal. You have to wonder what the heck their parents are thinking (or not thinking.)
It makes me sad that people can't or won't police themselves.

It's a shame that the city workers and the taxpayers have to waste resources on something like this.

We never seem to run low on chuckleheads in this country.

Every day it seems that we get a new request from our government officials.

Today our Mayor has asked that we make all sidewalks in the city one way so people using them are all facing the same direction and remaining at least six feet apart. The side of the street you use would follow the existing flow of traffic.

Back