Looking for others wanting warm weather and a retirement haven....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveled a 1/3 of the world in the merchant marine for my early career so I knew there are true havens to be had if you dare step out of your normal comfort zone.

My search eliminated all but two locations.... Belize and the island of Montserrat. Montserrat won.... in my estimation the trade winds blow more frequently ... the people are friendlier ... the community is smaller with less crime and if you want a villa you get more for your money....

I'd like to see more expats come and enjoy this island.... If you can own a home in the states or Canada ... you can own an ocean view furnished villa not far from one of the beaches for about the average cost of a home in the states...
My home is valued at about 200K ... real estate tax on that home is 134 dollars per year. At present I figure 1000 dollars a month is adequate to live well on this island once you have establish a home and have procured wheels.

I'd like to see more expats come and enjoy this island.... If you can own a home in the states or Canada ... you can own an ocean view furnished villa not far from one of the beaches for about the average cost of a home in the states...

Hi Hydrodog, welcome to the forum.

Are you in the real estate game?
Montserrat eh? or Mordor?
d7bn.jpg

Cleaned up after the latest eruption have they?

http://www.montserratvolcano.org/Merapi.htm

I like my 'paradise' a little more stable, but thanks anyway.

Geeeze, and people think OZ is dangerous?

Ocean beaches are nice places to visit but it would get boring in time. I like have four seasons per year although I complain when it;s too cold or too hot or too dry,etc.

My wife and I stayed at a bed & breakfast on the beach in St.Augustine Florida for three days. We loved it and had a great time but three days was plenty.

I have a cousin who has lived in St.Augustine most of his adult life. He hasn't been to the beach in many,many years or even looked out at the ocean.

Idealistic places are only idealistic when you visit them. When you live there the magic doesn't last.

This is my not very humble opinion.

BTW.... Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Last edited:
The volcano was dormant for 400 years....

... rarely do strat... type volcanos erupt for longer than 15 years ... We haven't had much activity for over three years .... the new port is being constructed .... geothermal wells are drilled and reliable and cheap power will soon be available instead of diesel generation... work on the cruise ship pier will soon start...
No I'm not in real estate.... but have an interest in promoting this island because I'm going to be living there. I've spent time there and know a lot about the island ask questions if you have an interest ....
This island is not for everyone .... but for some this place is an affordable paradise. Sure I'd like Nevis or St Kitts but the costs and being allowed residency don't compare .... Draw a circle with a 50 mile radius .... and they all could fit in ...
I you think you may like this island do your homework ... then visit on vacation ... check it out ... see if it is for you or not ....

Hi Hydrodog, welcome to the forum.qestions ...

Are you in the real estate game?
Montserrat eh? or Mordor?
d7bn.jpg

Cleaned up after the latest eruption have they?

http://www.montserratvolcano.org/Merapi.htm

I like my 'paradise' a little more stable, but thanks anyway.

Geeeze, and people think OZ is dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back