Looking to Get a Tablet

Oh how awesome! I hate those little plugs the devices come with these days! I have such a hard time with them. They are a real problem on my bluetooth, which has a horribly short cord.

My son had to ditch the Kindles he had for his daughters, as they had ruined the charger plugs.

I am certainly going to look for these. I didn't know there was such a thing. That is a wonderful tip, and I am so greatful to you for telling me!

Wonderful wonderful idea!!! Thank you.
Re the charger plugs. They have tiny pins that are easily bent.
I found that the best way to avoid that is to find a short charger cable and leave it on all the time. Pulling it in and out is what damages the pins.
I have 5 tablets. My Samsung Galaxy is the best. This iPad that I am using takes fits at times.
Talk to Siri about that.

I found that the best way to avoid that is to find a short charger cable and leave it on all the time. Pulling it in and out is what damages the pins.

That's what's going on with my tablet, Camper. I should be receiving the magnetic cable setup that HappyFlowerLady recommended ^^ in post #6. Might have to duct tape it in to keep the connection strong with those pins, but a magnetically attached power cord sounds like it would do the trick. Assuming, of course, that the internal micro pins are still ok.

Although I use the tablet almost exclusively as an eReader, I'm extremely reluctant to get a Kindle because Amazon is already way too much up in my business. Don't really want Jeff Bezos knowing every book I electronically check out of my public library.

Last edited:
That's what's going on with my tablet, Camper. I should be receiving the magnetic cable setup that HappyFlowerLady recommended ^^ in post #6. Might have to duct tape it in to keep the connection strong with those pins, but a magnetically attached power cord sounds like it would do the trick. Assuming, of course, that the internal micro pins are still ok.

Although I use the tablet almost exclusively as an eReader, I'm extremely reluctant to get a Kindle because Amazon is already way too much up in my business. Don't really want Jeff Bezos knowing every book I electronically check out of my public library.

If the magnetic charging gizmos don't do the trick I will probably pull the trigger on a Samsung Galaxy 10.
Don't throw the tablet away. Give it to someone handy. Or do it yourself.
I took the back off one and soldered the charger directly to the battery terminals bypassing the pin charger. The battery still gets charged. I drilled a hole through the back and put the wires through.

Don't throw the tablet away. Give it to someone handy. Or do it yourself.
I took the back off one and soldered the charger directly to the battery terminals bypassing the pin charger. The battery still gets charged. I drilled a hole through the back and put the wires through.
Wow! Thanks for the tip! It would be wonderful to be able to rescue this tablet.
I'll check with hubby about whether he has a soldering gun. I suspect not but who knows what's lurking in his magic tool collection...

Are you suggesting we use one of those small (like 4" cord) micro chargers? The back will still click on? Meaning that the charger isn't too thick?

Wow! Thanks for the tip! It would be wonderful to be able to rescue this tablet.
I'll check with hubby about whether he has a soldering gun. I suspect not but who knows what's lurking in his magic tool collection...

Are you suggesting we use one of those small (like 4" cord) micro chargers? The back will still click on? Meaning that the charger isn't too thick?
The micro chargers are to be used when the tablet is first purchased and left on and only used for charging instead of taking it off and on which damages the pins.
Charging it direct to the battery is a bit of work and it's different for all makes of tablet.
But an electronic hobbyist can figure it out.
You have to solder two wires one to the positive and one to the negative on the battery and thread those two wires through a hole you drill in the back cover.
Then you connect the charger to those two wires. There are various ways of doing that.
You can just use any charger that has the same voltage and put clips on it to connect to the two wires.
You could even pick up a charger cable from the dollar store and take the end off and find the two wires that have the voltage .
You need a voltmeter for that.
It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I mean if you're going to throw it away anyway what have you got to lose?

Talk to Siri about that.

That's a good tip, about the charger cable.

And as far as Siri, she's stupid. (IMO)
I've cussed at her. It's funny what she replies.

The micro chargers are to be used when the tablet is first purchased and left on and only used for charging instead of taking it off and on which damages the pins.
Charging it direct to the battery is a bit of work and it's different for all makes of tablet.
But an electronic hobbyist can figure it out.
You have to solder two wires one to the positive and one to the negative on the battery and thread those two wires through a hole you drill in the back cover.
Then you connect the charger to those two wires. There are various ways of doing that.
You can just use any charger that has the same voltage and put clips on it to connect to the two wires.
You could even pick up a charger cable from the dollar store and take the end off and find the two wires that have the voltage .
You need a voltmeter for that.
It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I mean if you're going to throw it away anyway what have you got to lose?

Too late for this now, at least with my existing tablet. Will try the magnetic cable thing when it arrives. Maybe the tablet and cable can be juryrigged. If not, DH will crack the case to see if he can follow your instructions and maybe learn from a helpful youtube video out in cyberspace. He does indeed have a soldering iron as it turns out.

@Ken N Tx those are so great! I think I'm going to have to have some, and buy them for my blue tooth as well. Sometimes I avoid using stuff, just because of the chargers.

They come in a set with several different types of connectors if you have several different types of tablets to connect (like me), or you can get a set with several of the micro-usb ends , like the Kindle uses, and most keyboards and headphones.
I have the little ends in my headphones and my tablets (iPads/Kindles ) as well as my iPhone . The keyboards seldom need charging, so I have not bought any more of the connector ends, but you can buy those separately, too, if you just need more of the connector ends and not the cord end. I only use two of the three connector cords because I am able to keep everything charged up by always having something on the charger.

Also, @A2ZGrammie , if you have Amazon Prime, then you can buy a new kindle on payments of about $10 a month for the 7” ones. You can also get a good used on on eBay pretty cheap if you shop around.

The Amazon package was supposed to arrive yesterday. Checked the tracking and saw this.

The pins aren't yet completely shot. If I wiggle the connection end of the charging cord I can sometimes get it to charge. I'm hoping to avoid tablet surgery. Maybe if this connector gets firmly duct taped to the tablet it will maintain a constant connection to the internal pins.

Even if it doesn't work, I'll have this ready to go for my next (or fixed) table, saving myself from a repeat of this problem.

Amazon.JPG

The little connector pieces fit snugly into the connection port on the tablet or phone, and you should not have to tape them into place. If the whole connection port is broken and is not able to charge at all, then the little magnetic chargers probably won’t help that; but they do work great to keep the charging ports alive and well.
What @Camper6 said about leaving the charging cord attached to the tablet, is basically what happens when you use the magnetic charging connectors, because the end that is inserted into your tablet stays in there all of the time once it is inserted.

Here is a picture of the connector inserted into my Kindle Fire. This “lives” in the charging port, and then I just connect one of the magnetic ends of the charging cord when the Kindle needs charged .
F587F5F6-2673-40E6-BDAB-25D2909D278D.jpeg

The little connector pieces fit snugly into the connection port on the tablet or phone, and you should not have to tape them into place. If the whole connection port is broken and is not able to charge at all, then the little magnetic chargers probably won’t help that; but they do work great to keep the charging ports alive and well.
What @Camper6 said about leaving the charging cord attached to the tablet, is basically what happens when you use the magnetic charging connectors, because the end that is inserted into your tablet stays in there all of the time once it is inserted.

Here is a picture of the connector inserted into my Kindle Fire. This “lives” in the charging port, and then I just connect one of the magnetic ends of the charging cord when the Kindle needs charged .
View attachment 76504
Guess I'll learn on Weds whether this will work for my current tablet.

Back