Many parents are hesitant to give their kids a Covid-19 vaccine. What if schools require it?....

PopsnTuff

"This is going to be a huge issue, and I don't think most people understand that yet," a school law attorney said.

As pharmaceutical companies race to manufacture a Covid-19 vaccine, many people are wary of a shot that is working its way through the approval process at record speed during a highly politicized pandemic. While some professions could require employees to get the vaccine, experts say schools almost certainly will require students to — potentially setting the stage for a showdown between reluctant parents and education officials.....read on....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ant-give-their-kids-covid-19-vaccine-n1240741

(Probably won't be till next year but will still be a dilemma imho :( )

I think that is a very long way off, and I think a lot more is going to be learned about both the disease and the vaccine before it would even be recommended for children, let alone required. Seems already established that “ when and if”, priority will be given to healthcare personnel, first responders and the populations already shown to be highly vulnerable.

First of all, there is no vaccine out of the testing phase yet so we're speculating about something we actually have zero data on. But I'll play along because it's not quite 5:30 AM, hubby is asleep, and I don't have much else to do right now.

According to everything I've read none of these vaccines has been tested on children, elderly, or people with serious underlying health conditions. None. It seems prudent for parents to take the position of not immunizing their children with something that hasn't been tested in their age group.

The extreme politicizing of this pandemic and vaccine process has been a lesson on what not to do.

First of all, there is no vaccine out of the testing phase yet so we're speculating about something we actually have zero data on. But I'll play along because it's not quite 5:30 AM, hubby is asleep, and I don't have much else to do right now.

According to everything I've read none of these vaccines has been tested on children, elderly, or people with serious underlying health conditions. None. It seems prudent for parents to take the position of not immunizing their children with something that hasn't been tested in their age group.

The extreme politicizing of this pandemic and vaccine process has been a lesson on what not to do.
You always say it so well, Star!

Couldn't agree more with you.

Gotta always look behind the curtain to see who's controlling what.

"At the moment, no children are included in the vaccine trials, another source of concern among some parents. Regardless, the surgeon general has authorized pharmacists to administer the future vaccine to children ages 3 and older."

Any guesses as to who appoints the surgeon general?

As for public schools possibly requiring a Covid vaccine deemed iffy by roughly half of Americans, those districts will sing a different tune if local private schools and homeschooling groups reap massive enrollment bumps by parents fleeing public school demands.

Public school funding is based on enrollment and/or attendance. They'll be financially devastated if even 10% of their families suddenly withdraw.

Gotta always look behind the curtain to see who's controlling what.

"At the moment, no children are included in the vaccine trials, another source of concern among some parents. Regardless, the surgeon general has authorized pharmacists to administer the future vaccine to children ages 3 and older."

Any guesses as to who appoints the surgeon general?

As for public schools possibly requiring a Covid vaccine deemed iffy by roughly half of Americans, those districts will sing a different tune if local private schools and homeschooling groups reap massive enrollment bumps by parents fleeing public school demands.

Public school funding is based on enrollment and/or attendance. They'll be financially devastated if even 10% of their families suddenly withdraw.
Chaps my behind something fierce when ultimately, at the end of the day, it always boils down to money.

Chaps my behind something fierce when ultimately, at the end of the day, it always boils down to money.
Parents will vote with their feet if they feel their children's long-term health may be at stake. They'll also start recalling school boards via the ballot box. Of course school funding is tied to enrollment and attendance parameters. How else should funding be determined?

Schools will continue offering alternative learning options until parents are comfortable with a vaccine or suffer dramatic funding cuts. Forcing a vaccine on their children will make parents more recalcitrant not more agreeable. It's human nature. Push humans and they push back.

Before the polio vaccine was approved for widespread distribution, field trials lasted a year and involved 1.8 million children.

Back