Mars, We Love You

mars-is-red-poem-nasa-mars-card.jpg

I wonder if Mars is flat, too.
When we run out of tax dollars, the U.S. will certainly be FLAT broke. How much did that project cost again? Mars is not a friendly place, any planets that scientist theorize we could survive on is light years away..now that is mind bending thought. I say shut the project down and feed the hungry. I once, as a joke, ask our science teacher if the world was flat, he answered who cares. Your ''I wonder if Mars is flat,'' brought back many good high school memories. :cool:

Do dreams die?

Mars-Mindset.jpg

"I’d say I was like eight when I realised it was over. I got on a roller coaster and I got really scared, so I realised that going on a rocket ship probably wasn’t a great idea. I also leaned forward a little bit (during the roller coaster ride) and couldn’t breathe, so I decided that going to a place with little to no air was also a bad idea."

I just saw a piece on the areas on Mars the U.S. wants to avoid when landing there in the future. Apparently they are concerned there might be nasty forms of bacteria there. Granted that is their theory because stating there is bacteria there is saying there is life there.

Colonizing Mars may require humanity to tweak its DNA

If humanity is ever going to settle down on Mars, we may need to become a little less human.

Crewed missions to Mars, which NASA wants to start flying in the 2030s, will be tough on astronauts, exposing them to high radiation loads, bone-wasting microgravity and other hazards for several years at a time. But these pioneers should still be able to make it back to Earth in relatively good nick, agency officials have said.

It might be a different story for those who choose not to come home, however. If we want to stay safe and healthy while living permanently on Mars, or any other world beyond our home planet, we may need to make some tweaks to our species' basic blueprint, experts say.

https://www.livescience.com/mars-colony-human-genetic-engineering-tardigrades.html

Colonizing Mars may require humanity to tweak its DNA

If humanity is ever going to settle down on Mars, we may need to become a little less human.

Crewed missions to Mars, which NASA wants to start flying in the 2030s, will be tough on astronauts, exposing them to high radiation loads, bone-wasting microgravity and other hazards for several years at a time. But these pioneers should still be able to make it back to Earth in relatively good nick, agency officials have said.

It might be a different story for those who choose not to come home, however. If we want to stay safe and healthy while living permanently on Mars, or any other world beyond our home planet, we may need to make some tweaks to our species' basic blueprint, experts say.

https://www.livescience.com/mars-colony-human-genetic-engineering-tardigrades.html
While this is somewhat frightening, the space-science behind it may be helpful, even necessary at some point, if people are going to be able to survive on Earth. Genetic manipulation to protect us against increasing radiation on Earth may be required in the future. /-;

From your link: "Some researchers and exploration advocates have even suggested using designer microbes to terraform Mars, turning it into a world much more comfortable for humans. This possibility obviously raises big ethical questions, especially considering that Mars may have hosted life in the ancient past and might still host it today, in subsurface lakes or aquifers. (Permanently changing our own genomes for radiation protection or any other reason may also strike some folks as ethically dubious, of course.) ...After all, she said, one of the main reasons we're exploring Mars is to determine if Earth is the only world to host life."

Great links - Thank you for posting!

Meet The 'Space Train' Concept That Can Get to Mars in 2 Days
"Charles Bombardier, a Montreal-based innovator, has unveiled a concept for a hypothetical space train called Solar Express that can shuttle passengers and payloads between planets faster than any existing systems."

"So, how would it work? Well, according to the team, Solar Express would consist of a series of aligned cylinders roughly 50 metres (164 feet) in length. Six of these cylinders - which you can think of as train cars - would link together in a straight line and hurtle through space."

SolarexpressHeader_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Meet The 'Space Train' Concept That Can Get to Mars in 2 Days
"Charles Bombardier, a Montreal-based innovator, has unveiled a concept for a hypothetical space train called Solar Express that can shuttle passengers and payloads between planets faster than any existing systems."

"So, how would it work? Well, according to the team, Solar Express would consist of a series of aligned cylinders roughly 50 metres (164 feet) in length. Six of these cylinders - which you can think of as train cars - would link together in a straight line and hurtle through space."

SolarexpressHeader_1024.jpg
Can't really get my mind around the mechanics, but this grabbed me-

"(1,864 miles per second) - dropping the travel time between Earth and Mars to less than two days." Wow!

Back