Mature Dating - Part 2: Be Upfront About What You Want

Yes, I think living with some other old gals would be fun, if you had some of the same interests. I had actually thought of building a sort of communal house with 3-4 wings where everyone would have their own master bedroom, bath and sitting area and a common kitchen and living room. I am sort of anal when it comes to cleaning and picking up after one's own self, and some people are not..

others-295.gif

Because I'm free, divorced and over 21 I've found that my penchant for moving at a moment's notice lends itself to renting furnished rooms instead of whole apartments. These set-ups usually include one room that is "yours" - your bedroom / living area combo - along with shared kitchen and bath facilities.

These are usually all-guy set-ups, so there's no worries about gender-blending. I'm not always happy with sharing the bathroom, but the kitchen is fine since I don't do any fancy cooking.

These days in this area they go for around $125-150/wk.

I miss the old days, like in the B&W movies from the '30's and '40's that usually showed a "ROOMS FOR LET" sign in the window of some urban building. "Men's Rooming House" is another term that I've frequently seen in the movies, but rarely in real life.

I think the commune idea rocks! :cool:

Although I have never lived in a commune so don't know firsthand if it's true or not, I've been told that the downfall of the commune was that relationships got in the way of their effectiveness. Too me, it totally makes sense that they would work better as people got older.
Divide up the chores and have lovely evenings around a campfire chatting and laughing. As people got older and perhaps needed assistance, it makes too much sense to pool the resources and have a nurse or someone to help on site and save anyone from going to a nursing home. The financing might get complicated, but if everyone went in on an equal basis, it might work. OR some could contribute financing while others contribute in talent - whether that is cooking, gardening, or whatever.

I think as we get older, we appreciate the true meaning of friendship more and a commune could work. I wonder if there are any out there already?

I think as we get older, we appreciate the true meaning of friendship more and a commune could work. I wonder if there are any out there already?

The buzz word these days is "intentional communities" rather than "commune", but i think they're basically the same thing.

According to the Fellowship for Intentional Community there are over 100,000 U.S. citizens living in such arrangements. Here's their directory in case you want to start looking ... :D

Although I have never lived in a commune so don't know firsthand if it's true or not, I've been told that the downfall of the commune was that relationships got in the way of their effectiveness. Too me, it totally makes sense that they would work better as people got older.
Divide up the chores and have lovely evenings around a campfire chatting and laughing. As people got older and perhaps needed assistance, it makes too much sense to pool the resources and have a nurse or someone to help on site and save anyone from going to a nursing home. The financing might get complicated, but if everyone went in on an equal basis, it might work. OR some could contribute financing while others contribute in talent - whether that is cooking, gardening, or whatever.

The only places I know of are assisted living homes...Bleeaach!! As people get older, they usually get more set in their ways and not as flexible in accepting others ways, so that could be a drawback. Also, there is still the relationship thing, families don't go away as you get older, sometimes they get more intrusive trying to stick up for their older loved ones. I would like the idea of owning the place and just renting out space, that way if someone was totally incompatible with others or did not contribute to the overall living arrangement, they could be asked to leave and not have financial entanglement.

All in all, an interesting concept, if I were alone I would be open to trying.

We have ventured off topic on dating here, but still an interesting conversation.

... We have ventured off topic on dating here, but still an interesting conversation.

As long as Matrix doesn't have a problem with it, neither do I. I know there are many forums where the Topic Police are constantly on the prowl for the slightest deviation from the topic, but I've found that oftentimes the most interesting conversations result from such deviations.

I miss the old days, like in the B&W movies from the '30's and '40's that usually showed a "ROOMS FOR LET" sign in the window of some urban building. "Men's Rooming House" is another term that I've frequently seen in the movies, but rarely in real life.

I think the commune idea rocks! :cool:

Phil, I remember when ROOMS FOR LET were very common. In fact, my mother and I lived in one such place for awhile, shortly after moving to Memphis. It was owned by an old German couple that were concentration camp survivors. It was one of those large 3 story older houses that was divided up into small apartments. The owners lived on the first floor, and there were three apartments on the second floor and one on the third. There were only two other families living there, and we all got along great, visiting each other and watching television together in the evening. Us kids would go from apartment to apartment, and since we were all in the same house our parents knew where we were. This was in the '50's.

There are not many of these types of houses left that are conducive to room letting, and ones that are still standing have generally fallen into ghetto areas and uninhabitable by sane people. There are some former very beautiful houses in an area of Dallas that still have rooms for rent. Sadly, they are jewels that have seen their better days.

What I want, eh? Allow me to begin paring down my wish list . . .

Realistically, I think . . . someone easy going with a killer sense of humor who I find and who finds me both physically and intelligently attractive. That oughta be a sinch... So, now (re: Part #3) to lure them into a dark alley.

OH! That brings to mind that great book, "The Collector"; fascinating and creepy.

I've had some of my best - and worst - times in dark alleys, so I'm sort of conflicted here ...

But I think the use of the word "lure" clinched it for me - I have a full tackle-box. ;)

What I want, eh? Allow me to begin paring down my wish list . . .

Realistically, I think . . . someone easy going with a killer sense of humor who I find and who finds me both physically and intelligently attractive. That oughta be a sinch... So, now (re: Part #3) to lure them into a dark alley.

OH! That brings to mind that great book, "The Collector"; fascinating and creepy.

If that is the same story as the movie I just saw by the same name....I absolutely will never read it. CREEPY!! :eek:

Yes. Made in 1965 starring Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar. Great book and well done movie.

I LOVE scary stories, but the movie (made in 2009) was very violent and gory. Most likely the first one was not like that; I think they are scarier without all the graphic stuff.

Or maybe this is an entirely different story, too. I'll have to look it up.....going OT here again. :eek:

I LOVE scary stories, but the movie (made in 2009) was very violent and gory. Most likely the first one was not like that; I think they are scarier without all the graphic stuff.

Or maybe this is an entirely different story, too. I'll have to look it up.....going OT here again. :eek:

Yeah, I looked it up and was disappointed to see an abomination made in 2009. Well, the good and original flick still exists and you can't beat that. I agree that they are much scarier without the graphic stuff. Hitchcock was the master of that. Suuuuusssssssp . . . . . ense!

Back