Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is a charted set of human requirements that are important for an individual order to achieve complete development and self-actualization.

It's diagrammed as pyramid starting at the bottom with basic needs that must be satisfied, for an individual to be able to progress to addressing more secondary needs. It’s understood that a person who has to struggle to survive doesn’t think much about anything beyond that, able to progress upwards on the triangle only once survival and comfort are assured.
  1. Physiological needs - These are biological requirements for human survival. Examples include air, food, water, shelter, clothing, warmth, sex and sleep.
  2. Safety needs – Examples include protection from elements, security, order, law and stability.
  3. Love and belongingness needs – These are the first of social needs, involving the desire for interpersonal relationships and being part of a group. Examples of these needs include friendship, intimacy, trust, acceptance, receiving and giving affection and love.
  4. Esteem needs - Classified into two categories:
    1. A: Self-esteem, stemming from dignity, achievement, mastery and independence.
    2. B. The desire for reputation or respect from others, including status and prestige.
  5. Self-actualization needs – Examples include realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment and seeking personal growth and peak experiences.

maslow-5.jpg

I love charts and diagrams and things like this! I love the visuals that help me understand my own psychology and help me make more sense of the choices I've made as I've moved along in my life. Mazlow stresses that the achievement of the higher levels of the triangle are impossible to achieve when the lower level needs are not being met.

As someone who has struggled with poverty, scrambling to feed my family and keep a roof over our heads, I can completely understand that. When you're walking through the grocery store with a calculator so that you don't spend a penny more than the few dollars you have in your wallet, and that's ALL you have in the world, the idea of making new friends, starting a hobby, nurturing a romantic relationship whether it's one you already have or one you'd like to...these things all feel completely out of reach. And not just because it costs money to go to a movie or lunch with a friend, or buy the equipment or supplies for a new hobby, but even more (at least for me) was that I simply didn't have the horsepower, the brain space, the energy, whatever, to pursue anything beyond basic survival.

This isn't a Covid post. But when I remembered about this hierarchy, it occurred to me that in this current pandemic climate, a lot of folks are struggling to get their basic psychological needs met because of furloughs, layoffs, shutdowns, etc., and so the pursuit of those higher levels becomes more and more difficult, and not just because people are quarantining. I think it's a mental thing too. I mean, sure, people's survival is threatened because you get the virus and you might die, and there's also the stress that has the physical effect i.e. when you stay in "fight or flight" mode long enough, your adrenals because exhausted and you will physically collapse. But there's also the mental stress and effort and strain that I personally find to be as debilitating physically and hard labor.

Because I'm struggling with anxiety related to Covid, I'm finding it difficult to move beyond the first three levels. I'm maintaining my relationship with Ron, trying to with the kids and grandkids, and that's about it. I'm not feeling much accomplishment in any area, other than keeping the house up and tending to the plants.

I'm not very happy with the way I'm feeling as a result, anxiety aside. I tend to be a do-er, a high achiever, and this enforced inactivity and geographical restrictions are really chafing. :(

Thank you for such a concise and well thought out post. I can relate to almost all of it, as I too am stuck in the first three levels.

I was one sick gal at the start of this nightmare pandemic with a serious clinical depression from it all. I couldn't eat or sleep and just stared out the window all day. When my very funny darling husband couldn't make me laugh at all, he knew I was in real trouble. Thanks to my Bowmore, Doctor and "better living through chemistry" I'm now much better with medication. Still, when I feel I'm slipping I need to be proactive
and just shut all the news down.

I so agree with you on this..
"I love charts and diagrams and things like this! I love the visuals that help me understand my own psychology and help me make more sense of the choices I've made as I've moved along in my life. Mazlow stresses that the achievement of the higher levels of the triangle are impossible to achieve when the lower level needs are not being met. "

Were you also a Psych major? I've found my "Psychology Today" subscription very interesting and helpful through the years.

Thank you for such a concise and well thought out post. I can relate to almost all of it, as I too am stuck in the first three levels.

I was one sick gal at the start of this nightmare pandemic with a serious clinical depression from it all. I couldn't eat or sleep and just stared out the window all day. When my very funny darling husband couldn't make me laugh at all, he knew I was in real trouble. Thanks to my Bowmore, Doctor and "better living through chemistry" I'm now much better with medication. Still, when I feel I'm slipping I need to be proactive
and just shut all the news down.

I so agree with you on this..
"I love charts and diagrams and things like this! I love the visuals that help me understand my own psychology and help me make more sense of the choices I've made as I've moved along in my life. Mazlow stresses that the achievement of the higher levels of the triangle are impossible to achieve when the lower level needs are not being met. "

Were you also a Psych major? I've found my "Psychology Today" subscription very interesting and helpful through the years.
Thanks for your kind words @Kayelle. No, not a psych major. No college, a year at business schol after high school.

I finally got a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication because I was having some trouble functioning. 10 Days in and I’m beginning to feel some semblance of balance. It’s a relief.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words @Kayelle. No, not a psych major. No college, a year at business schol after high school.

I finally got a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication because I was having some trouble functioning. 10 Days I’m and I’m beginning to feel some semblance of balance. It’s a relief.
Oh I'm so glad you're starting to feel better, it often takes two weeks, or a little more. It's so scary to feel so scary.

Ah, Ronni - I've always found Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs depressing. You see that broad band of purple at the bottom? That's where I've spent most of my life. Oh well, at least I made it onto the chart!

@Ronni i am sorry to hear you are struggling. I thought you had returned to working, got back with your boyfriend, and were looking forward to a return to life as normal as possible. Hopefully medication will help you achieve all your goals.

Thanks @Aneeda72 💕

I moved back in with with my fiancé now that his daughter has her own house, and Ron and I are getting married in October, but I am barely working, and I miss my children and my grandkids dreadfully. I see my daughter and her kids but no one else.

I worry constantly about Ron because he’s working though he’s remaining isolated at his selected work sites so that’s good. I worry about my family even though they are as safe as they can be. I am a worrier by nature, and tend towards anxiety even at the best of times.

Intellectually I understand that I am in so much better shape than so many people. The consequences and ramifications of this virus have not hit me and mine and my life anywhere near as hard as a lot of other people. But my emotions have a tendency to over rule my rational thought and I just struggle.

Last edited:
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is a charted set of human requirements that are important for an individual order to achieve complete development and self-actualization.

It's diagrammed as pyramid starting at the bottom with basic needs that must be satisfied, for an individual to be able to progress to addressing more secondary needs. It’s understood that a person who has to struggle to survive doesn’t think much about anything beyond that, able to progress upwards on the triangle only once survival and comfort are assured.
  1. Physiological needs - These are biological requirements for human survival. Examples include air, food, water, shelter, clothing, warmth, sex and sleep.
  2. Safety needs – Examples include protection from elements, security, order, law and stability.
  3. Love and belongingness needs – These are the first of social needs, involving the desire for interpersonal relationships and being part of a group. Examples of these needs include friendship, intimacy, trust, acceptance, receiving and giving affection and love.
  4. Esteem needs - Classified into two categories:
    1. A: Self-esteem, stemming from dignity, achievement, mastery and independence.
    2. B. The desire for reputation or respect from others, including status and prestige.
  5. Self-actualization needs – Examples include realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment and seeking personal growth and peak experiences.

View attachment 113902

I love charts and diagrams and things like this! I love the visuals that help me understand my own psychology and help me make more sense of the choices I've made as I've moved along in my life. Mazlow stresses that the achievement of the higher levels of the triangle are impossible to achieve when the lower level needs are not being met.

As someone who has struggled with poverty, scrambling to feed my family and keep a roof over our heads, I can completely understand that. When you're walking through the grocery store with a calculator so that you don't spend a penny more than the few dollars you have in your wallet, and that's ALL you have in the world, the idea of making new friends, starting a hobby, nurturing a romantic relationship whether it's one you already have or one you'd like to...these things all feel completely out of reach. And not just because it costs money to go to a movie or lunch with a friend, or buy the equipment or supplies for a new hobby, but even more (at least for me) was that I simply didn't have the horsepower, the brain space, the energy, whatever, to pursue anything beyond basic survival.

This isn't a Covid post. But when I remembered about this hierarchy, it occurred to me that in this current pandemic climate, a lot of folks are struggling to get their basic psychological needs met because of furloughs, layoffs, shutdowns, etc., and so the pursuit of those higher levels becomes more and more difficult, and not just because people are quarantining. I think it's a mental thing too. I mean, sure, people's survival is threatened because you get the virus and you might die, and there's also the stress that has the physical effect i.e. when you stay in "fight or flight" mode long enough, your adrenals because exhausted and you will physically collapse. But there's also the mental stress and effort and strain that I personally find to be as debilitating physically and hard labor.

Because I'm struggling with anxiety related to Covid, I'm finding it difficult to move beyond the first three levels. I'm maintaining my relationship with Ron, trying to with the kids and grandkids, and that's about it. I'm not feeling much accomplishment in any area, other than keeping the house up and tending to the plants.

I'm not very happy with the way I'm feeling as a result, anxiety aside. I tend to be a do-er, a high achiever, and this enforced inactivity and geographical restrictions are really chafing. :(
I've got the bottom of that pyramid. The purple section. That's it.

Thanks @Aneeda72 💕

I moved back in with with my fiancé now that his daughter has her own house, and Ron and I are getting married in October, but I am barely working, and I miss my children and my grandkids dreadfully. I see my daughter and her kids but no one else.

I worry constantly about Ron because he’s working though he’s remaining isolated at his work site so that’s good. I worry about my family even though they are as safe as they can be. I am a worrier by nature, and 10 towards anxiety even at the best of times.

Intellectually I understand that I am in so much better shape than so many people. The consequences and ramifications of this virus have not hit me and mine and my life anywhere near as hard as a lot of other people. But my emotions have a tendency to over rule my rational thought and I just struggle.
I understand. You have struggled with fears of the virus from the beginning and the fact that you are still hanging in there, despite your fears, shows how strong you are. Just keep hanging on, apparently a vaccine is on the way

Back