Medicare Advantage Plan (MA)

I have a regular f plan but during my birthday month I can switch to a plan with less benefits without medical underwriting which I can’t pass. I can switch to a regular G plan for 50/less a month and the only difference is that I will have to pay the deductible which is less than 300/year.

I have a 195/month hsa from my former employer but have to go through via benefits to keep it. If you don’t do everything according to their rules you lose the benefit for life. I love my doctor who’s always been employed by the big hospital system.

I will leave however if they ever make it mandatory to join the EMB. It’s Medicare’s brainchild and is being used as a pilot program all over.

My buddy used to brag all the time about how little he paid for his advantage plan and how every thing was covered

well that was until his wife got breast cancer. The chemo was 4500 dollars out of pocket

plus she got it later in the year When the new year rolled it was another 4500 in out of pockets. Plus he had all his own stuff

needless to say he was lucky because New York is one if the few states that allows one to switch to Medicare at open enrollment with no underwriting. He ditched the advantage plan and learned his lesson
And how much would have it been if he had just Medicare?
I love the fact that with our MA plan there is a max amount we have to pay. $100,000. bill he would have to pay like $4,500 in in network and $7,500 if out of net work. Less than paying 20% of $100,000.

I love the fact that with our MA plan there is a max amount we have to pay. $100,000. bill he would have to pay like $4,500 in in network and $7,500 if out of net work. Less than paying 20% of $100,000.
If you carry a supplement plan that pays the 20% my experience and those of my friends are nothing. 16 years ago my mil spent a month in icu before dying and her bills were 72k. Between Medicare and her supplement she owed nothing.

It's the perfect solution for basically charging you for healthcare that, for being elderly, you should get for free. But, of course, the elderly are outliving their social security, um....benefit, and they just keep living longer and longer. So what's a gov't to do?

medicare and supplement would have covered it plus she could go anywhere they take Medicare , no network needed.

medicare covers 80% of bills and the supplements cover the difference

medicare and supplement

The subject was about Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
Medicare generally goes with a medigap and drug plan which is the equivalent of an advantage plan so I am not sure why you are comparing only Medicare which by itself is not an equivalent , it’s only one of The 3 components needed to have complete Medicare coverage

its comparing apples and potatoes..

few have Medicare without a supplemental medigap plan and drug plan ..they would have huge exposure as Medicare by itself only covers 80% of the bill as well as loads of other charges on things like being in a hospital as well as no prescription coverage .Medicare is not a comparison to an advantage plan by itself.

in fact anyone here even use Medicare with no supplement or coverage at work as a secondary ?

Last edited:
Medicare generally goes with a medigap and drug plan which is the equivalent of an advantage plan so I am not sure why you are comparing only Medicare which by itself is not an equivalent , it’s only one of The 3 components needed to have complete Medicare coverage

its comparing apples and potatoes..

few have Medicare without a supplemental medigap plan and drug plan ..they would have huge exposure as Medicare by itself only covers 80% of the bill as well as loads of other charges on things like being in a hospital as well as no prescription coverage .Medicare is not a comparison to an advantage plan by itself.

in fact anyone here even use Medicare with no supplement or coverage at work as a secondary ?
Medicare is not a comparison to an advantage plan by itself.

Medicare Advantage Plan (MA)​

That is what this thread was about.

The thread is asking the differences and benefits between Medicare advantage plans and going the Medicare route .

you can’t compare to Medicare without comparing Medicare with the equivalent coverage which is with a medigap plan and drug plan .

or is it that you know as little about this as in other conversations we have had.

you can’t talk about Medicare without talking about the supplement and drug planthat goes with it

The thread is asking the differences and benefits between Medicare advantage plans and going the Medicare route .

you can’t compare to Medicare without comparing Medicare with the equivalent coverage which is with a medigap plan and drug plan .

or is it that you know as little about this as in other conversations we have had.

you can’t talk about Medicare without talking about the supplement and drug planthat goes with it

Like this thread were you tried and failed saying dividends were not good.

https://www.thebalance.com/why-do-companies-pay-dividends-5185975

Part of link..

Why Do Companies Pay Dividends?​

Regular Medicare which is parts A and B is meant to be used with a part D for prescriptions and part C which is your 20% that Medicare doesn’t cover. The Medicare advantage plans have in effect covered all of these with one plan.

I don’t know one person that is stupid enough not to have parts C and D if they choose regular Medicare. A friend of mine had a serious surgery every year for the past 4 years and his out of pocket has been 7k each year. With a supplement it probably would have been zero but he would have had to be paying premiums for the coverage unlike MA which is often free or low cost.

The biggest problem with MA is that you have to stay in network or pay more to go out of network or that you can be denied the care you need.

I know 2 people that are only alive because they could go obtain the best care out of state. Some people can’t afford a supplement so they have no choice but to choose MA. Others are trying to save money.

Exactly the Case with Medicare …old Montanna seems to either like to argue or he comments on things he knows little about and shoots from the hip .

you have to be insane to only have Medicare and no supplements …in fact to even discuss Medicare without medigap and then try to compare It to an advantage plan is ridiculous

Exactly the Case with Medicare …old Montanna seems to either like to argue or he comments on things he knows little about and shoots from the hip .

you have to be insane to only have Medicare and no supplements …in fact to even discuss Medicare without medigap and then try to compare It to an advantage plan is ridiculous
I have Medicare Advantage and I have posted why I like it. I am not a expert like you. Sorry!

This thread is confusing to say the least .. the title of this thread is Medicare Advantage Plan
... that is what I have and will continue to have.

You cannot have both Medicare Advantage, and Medigap.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...edigap-vs-medicare-advantage-which-better.asp
Of course not ..

but old Montana asked what the chemo would have cost under medicare .

my answer is zero with Medicare and a medigap supplement …he was comparing to the 4500 out of pocket spent with my friends advantage plan

This thread is confusing to say the least .. the title of this thread is Medicare Advantage Plan
... that is what I have and will continue to have.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...edigap-vs-medicare-advantage-which-better.asp

I know that. Thanks for the link. It shows why many do not like Medicare Advantage as of the network "thing". Our small city has two hospitals and two major clinics and both are in network.

I have posted why I like our BC BS MA plan but one poster continues to say in so many words I do not know what I am talking about. I am not an expert on MA plans but I posted what I know and I thought that was what this board is about.

I know that. Thanks for the link. It shows why many do not like Medicare Advantage as of the network "thing". Our small city has two hospitals and two major clinics and both are in network.

I have posted why I like our BC BS MA plan but one poster continues to say in so many words I do not know what I am talking about. I am not an expert on MA plans but I posted what I know and I thought that was what this board is about.
But what was your reply about when I said with with Medicare and a medigap supplement plan the cost is zero for the chemo compared to 4500 in the advantage plan ?…that is what has us all scratching our heads …

then you said this thread is about Medicare .

that makes no sense to us.

hopefully you know Medicare and a supplement is not trying to use Medicare and an advantage plan

But what was your reply about when I said with with Medicare and a medigap supplement plan the cost is zero for the chemo compared to 4500 in the advantage plan ?…that is what has us all scratching our heads …

then you said this thread is about Medicare .

that makes no sense to us.

hopefully you know Medicare and a supplement is not trying to use Medicare and an advantage plan

you said this thread is about Medicare .

It is.

Medicare Advantage Plan (MA)​

I am impreseed that you are Johnny on the spot when I post.

And this was your question to me ….

I answered you

medicare and supplement would have covered it plus she could go anywhere they take Medicare , no network needed.

medicare covers 80% of bills and the supplements cover the difference

then you post this which makes no sense

Old montanna
medicare and supplement

And this was your question to me ….
And how much would have it been if he had just Medicare? A reasonable question. Got a reasonable answer?

What is your problem with me posting a fact?

20% of $100,000 is $20,000. That is a lot for most people.

medicare and supplement

And how much would have it been if he had just Medicare? A reasonable question. Got a reasonable answer?

What is your problem with me posting a fact?

20% of $100,000 is $20,000. That is a lot for most people.
It isn’t a reasonable question at all because an advantage plan is part. C which is Medicare and a supplement and drug plan all rolled into one package issued by a private insurer .

thr comparison is Medicare a supplement and a drug plan , always Or secondary Coverage from a job .

I doubt anyone here even has Medicare all alone and if they do then they are foolish since if they can’t afford all parts they should have the then they should find a cheaper advantage plan .

it isn’t even a question a rational person would ask if they were comparing costs and expenses in an advantage plan to Medicare …Medicare is rarely used as a stand alone ,if ever and if it is it is the exception as well as foolish .

so yes the cost as it should be compared is zero vs 4500 in the advantage plan

Back