Medicare Advantage Plan...Yes or No?

I had to go on the traditional Medicare for my retirement plan to pay the premiums and to get Part D through them (Silver Script). Sounded like a good deal at the time, but I no longer have dental and vision coverage. Now that I am starting to have tooth and eye problems, I am debating how wise choice it was. To get dental and vision insurance now would cost more for the premiums than if I just payed OOP.

I live in a rural sparsely populated zip code where Advantage plans are not even offered. Even if they were, I would not have chosen one. I never liked HMO's for the limitations they present. I like to choose my own health care providers. And life, for me, has always been about freedom of choice and believe that should not change as I get older.

A dear friend of mine is on an HMO plan (he chose that because he's thrifty (a polite way of saying he's a cheapskate LOL) and has regretted it ever since (10 years later). He's been cancelled by his insurance carrier 4 times and was left to forage for another one. Granted, he has some serious chronic health issues that may have not been accepted by the underwriters of Medicare supplemental insurance providers back then. But it was upsetting to me to witness his frustration.

I suffered with severe osteoarthritis in both knees for 12 years before becoming eligible for Medicare. I was working, and didn't feel that I could take the weeks off that are required for knee replacement surgery. When I became eligible for Medicare (I had retired by then) I also signed up for a supplemental plan through Cigna, already planning ahead for knee surgery.

I started with Plan N (or F? not sure now) and then was informed that that plan would be phased out and I should consider selecting another plan. So I chose Plan G. I pay $132 a month (plus the $135 a month that is deducted from my social security for Part B). The only amount I pay out of pocket is for the yearly Medicare deductible of around $195. No copays for doctor visits. Less to keep track of when those EOB's are received.

I had my right knee surgery done in Feb and the total bill was around $55,000. Cigna picked up every dime that Medicare didn't. I figure that to be around $25,000. Without a supplemental plan I would have been in debt until I die. Now I'm looking at a left knee replacement for quality of life.

I'm going to stick with Plan G for now even if I decide not to have the left knee done. Hedging my bets I guess. My health is pretty good except for being type II diabetic which is easily managed. But....who knows what the future holds? I would rather keep my current supplemental plan and the simplicity of it, even though it may cost me more than other plans.

I've been on an Advantage plan since I turned 65 and have been very pleased with it. I had both hips replaced on the plan and it cost me next to nothing. My sister has been on the same plan also for 3 or 4 years and is also very pleased; she has some cardiac, clotting and lung problems and has been very happy, too. Our plan is only available in our area , though. It's affiliated with our largest hospital and a huge group of physicians to choose from; it is also affiliated with MD Anderson down in Texas.

I know everyones situation is different and Lord knows there's a TON of options out there, gap, advantage, etc., but for what it's worth thought I'd share I'm on my third year with SCAN and couldn't be happier. I realize your mileage may vary and everyone should do their own research based on their individual needs. I don't have any personal experience with the other companies and options but I do with SCAN and so far have had no reason to consider anything else. I hope my satisfaction with them continues till I no longer require coverage. Don...

Back