Medicare Part B premium 2020: Rates and deductibles rising 7%

I was tempted to switch to one of those ''no premium'' Advantage plans, but someone told me that if I don't like it, I can't go back to traditional medicare and that those plans have large deductibles. I pay $120 for United Health plan G and another $43 for RX (pay $16 penalty for signing up late).

we don't want any of it....haven't had Healthcare for over 20 years...i'd like opt out option
One visit to the emergency room--one--and subsequent hospitalization for any number of serious things could cost you every cent of savings, your home, any real property you own. And seeing as how we're required to have Part A, what's the problem with FREE Medicare Senior Advantage so that it won't cost you everything you've ever worked/saved for. I don't get it.

I was tempted to switch to one of those ''no premium'' Advantage plans, but someone told me that if I don't like it, I can't go back to traditional medicare and that those plans have large deductibles. I pay $120 for United Health plan G and another $43 for RX (pay $16 penalty for signing up late).
"Someone" gave you some serious misinformation.

"Someone" gave you some serious misinformation.
She worked for the Council on Aging here in Tucson, I went to ask for help in choosing health insurance.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, where and how do I find an insurance broker? Do I just google ''insurance broker in Tucson"? Can I expect them to find me the best insurance or do they point you to whatever pays them the best commission? I'm dumb at this insurance stuff.

You don't really need a broker. Google Senior Advantage Plans in AZ. Hint: don't bother with the ones that say "Ad." Those are always right at the top. Just pick another one, enter your zip code, and it'll bring up what's available in your area. Click and compare.

GA is one of the states that provides basic advantage free, AZ might not be, but if it isn't, the cost is small. You won't be limited to basic, there are other Advantage plans that charge, depending on coverage. It's still going to be a whole lot less than a few grand every month.

The main difference in the regular medicare plus a supplement and the advantage programs is the fact the advantage programs are "managed care" and you in effect, give up your medicare to the program. I'm not happy with that. Show me tier one physicians that belong to these programs, then I might be interested. However, with that said, if I really needed the money it might be a different situation or to probably just stay with medicare part B.

Managed care programs don't always authorize what medicare says could be authorized under a specific medical issue. They "manage the care". Here's a good source article on it:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/010816/pitfalls-medicare-advantage-plans.asp

One visit to the emergency room--one--and subsequent hospitalization for any number of serious things could cost you every cent of savings, your home, any real property you own. And seeing as how we're required to have Part A, what's the problem with FREE Medicare Senior Advantage so that it won't cost you everything you've ever worked/saved for. I don't get it.
everything we own is in someone else's name.....$$$is hidden ...no record...all cash transactions

When I retired I joined Group Health HMO and was happy with it. Several years ago it was taken over by Kaiser and I was uneasy because of some stories told me by some cousins who had Kaiser in Oregon. Turns out it has been an improvement in coverage and service. In fact I had my annual checkup with my doc today - no copay, free flu shot and lab work all done in one visit in one building. I consider her to be a tier one GP who really knows her stuff and can handle my curmudgeonly self without effort. The only thing I hold against her is that she is so darn young :p

When I retired I joined Group Health HMO and was happy with it. Several years ago it was taken over by Kaiser and I was uneasy because of some stories told me by some cousins who had Kaiser in Oregon. Turns out it has been an improvement in coverage and service. In fact I had my annual checkup with my doc today - no copay, free flu shot and lab work all done in one visit in one building. I consider her to be a tier one GP who really knows her stuff and can handle my curmudgeonly self without effort. The only thing I hold against her is that she is so darn young :p
Think the proof is in the pudding when a person gets really ill. From what I've heard.
Plan to stick with the Medigap policy. We are very happy and are in the county of some of the best physicians in the country.
Thank God we are both healthy; certainly don't want any nasty surprises in the event of the worst case scenerio. We used to be
in the Medical business.

I like to choose my doctors. Right now I'm in pretty good health, don't take any medicine, don't even have a doctor except for my ENT doctor who I see 3 times a year for cleaning of my ears to prevent infection. I pay for Part D VERY grudgingly since I don't use any medicine. BUT, in the future I will surely not be as healthy and I want to be covered. After I read Liberty's link, I am more confused than ever. I think I'll keep my insurances.

If everything is covered, how can you have any better insurance than that? The supplement plans are clearly defined by Medicaid and I've known people that would have had to pay many thousands and thousands of dollars that didn't pay a penny extra with the medigap supplement and medicaid.

Of course, if you don't care to investigate and have a look see that's totally your biz. Color me corrected in trying to suggest anything.

I like to choose my doctors. Right now I'm in pretty good health, don't take any medicine, don't even have a doctor except for my ENT doctor who I see 3 times a year for cleaning of my ears to prevent infection. I pay for Part D VERY grudgingly since I don't use any medicine. BUT, in the future I will surely not be as healthy and I want to be covered. After I read Liberty's link, I am more confused than ever. I think I'll keep my insurances.
Sorry if I confused you at all. Didn't mean to. Personally, I just don't think it gets any better than a good Medigap policy. Physicians are aligned with specific hospitals and that can be an issue. Ask your doc and see what he or she says, why don't you, if you are considering changing. Don't want to say inappropriate things about Advantage programs, just personally wouldn't consider one for myself and husband unless the finances were dictating we had to - or opt out and just use the standard part B. The devil could be in the details...lol.

I wonder if this below is why that woman told me the above, but she knew I already had traditional Medicare:

{{Medicare Advantage, as we have explained on this page, is coverage you sign up for instead of Medicare part A and B. In fact, if you purchase a Medicare Advantage plan, you can no longer be enrolled in traditional Medicare. Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private companies that cover the same benefits offered in Part A and Part B (as well as some additional benefits not found in traditional Medicare). }}

Sorry if I confused you at all. Didn't mean to.

Oh, I didn't mean that YOU confused me, I meant that trying to figure out what to do is confusing me. So far I'm in good health so the ''no premium'' private plans look tempting. BUT I'm 77 and things might go south on me anytime and those plans might stop insuring or change requirements or fees, and that $6700 deductible is scary. Plus I like to choose my doctors. So, I guess I'm staying put, and that $120 for Medigap doesn't sound so bad after all now.

Oh, I didn't mean that YOU confused me, I meant that trying to figure out what to do is confusing me. So far I'm in good health so the ''no premium'' private plans look tempting. BUT I'm 77 and things might go south on me anytime and those plans might stop insuring or change requirements or fees, and that $6700 deductible is scary. Plus I like to choose my doctors. So, I guess I'm staying put, and that $120 for Medigap doesn't sound so bad after all now.
You got it PVC. Its the best, I think. Don't like giving up my medicare to "managed care" that decides what fits "their" criteria for treatment if and when you get ill. Like a good friend said "the last thing I want to do when I'm in the hospital with an operation is worry about the cost. Don't want no nasty surprises." You have insurance not for wellness, but for what might happen.

She worked for the Council on Aging here in Tucson, I went to ask for help in choosing health insurance.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, where and how do I find an insurance broker? Do I just google ''insurance broker in Tucson"? Can I expect them to find me the best insurance or do they point you to whatever pays them the best commission? I'm dumb at this insurance stuff.

If you use a broker that actually specializes in Medicare he/she should be able to help you. Too many agents really are in it just for commission and I know a few that brag that they typically can add dental, life insurance, etc. to ever sale. Those are the ones to stay away from.

You don't need a broker in Tuscon. Medicare is NOT rocket surgery but I do find those who don't use an expert tend to make poor decisions. You wouldn't go to court without a lawyer. Buy and sell a house without an agent. Why wouldn't you use a broker when it costs nothing?

The people who generally have the least amount of practical information about Medicare plans are those who work for the dept of aging, HICAP, or whatever they call that department in each state.

Please, find a good agent and let that person give you an education first and then suggestions second. I have many clients in AZ but happy to refer you to someone local if you wish.

Rick

everything we own is in someone else's name.....$$$is hidden ...no record...all cash transactions
If it's ok to ask...
Is this an indemnity policy like I have? Or are you piecing together parts of different plans? I understood no insurance agent would sell to someone of medicare age unless it was a medicare approved plan.

Just curious.

If it's ok to ask...
Is this an indemnity policy like I have? Or are you piecing together parts of different plans? I understood no insurance agent would sell to someone of medicare age unless it was a medicare approved plan.

Just curious.

I didn't know any non-Medicare plans were available nor are indemnity plans even legal in CA after age 64.

Curious - what do you have?

Rick

Blue Cross Blue Shield with the gap coverage
So I'm confused. Unless you have a group plan Blue Cross and Blue Shield are separate companies in CA. So I'm pretty sure you don't exactly have an indemnity plan but a group PPO. An indemnity plan would pay a fixed dollar amount rather than a percentage of what's left after Medicare paid.

Am I wrong?

Rick

Back