Meteorological Fall

Jules

SF VIP
Technically fall starts on September 22nd this year. At the end of August the weathermen started using the term ‘meteorological fall’. Since I live in western Canada, this term really applies here. The leaves have been changing colour and falling. Nights are quite cool/cold. I’m in no rush for ‘meteorological winter‘ if that term applies too.

Weather has a somewhat change in aviation. Did you know that flying in the winter can cause less turbulence than summer travel? The colder, drier air helps to cut down on the amount and severity of turbulence. There is also less airline traffic in winter and while al of this sounds good, with winter also brings some of the worse weather with snow and ice. If you have ever landed on a partially snow covered runway, you probably have noticed how pilots tend to make a slower landing before setting the plane down on the runway to prevent skidding.

Fall weather? Not happening here yet although a few nights have been cool. I like all the seasons as each has their best advantages. Summer: warm days and light clothing; Fall: cooler and diminished bugs; Winter: cold and great for walking outside; Spring: the best when everything outside wakes up and the smells of the ground and trees and flowers in the warming weather (my favourite season). "Meteorological" is a temperature cycle and it does vary greatly, i.e., we can have summer weather temps in fall, etc.

I am the opposite:) I cannot wait till it gets cold and the woods are free of most bugs(y)
not quite autumn yet leaves are green and still on the trees... but as I've aged I prefer the cooler weaher of Autumn, I can sleep better, I love the nights getting dark earlier so I can close up the house.

I'm surrounded by farmland, rivers and woodland, and bugs are not much of a problem here.. we rarely get Mozzies, and we don't have any dangerous wildlife in our woodlands..like Bears or cougars..we have Fairytale animals, like Deer, nd squirrels, and hares, and Pheasants, :love:. so I walk in the woods all times of the year...

Last edited:
We've had a fairly dry and hot August/September, and the leaves are starting to change color. If the forecasts are right, we should see some cooler weather setting in within the next week, or so. I'm ready for some nice cooler days.

I'm at southern end of Rocky Mountains near the Continental Divide Trail. Wild shubs are drying out. Since we had a pretty wet July there will be a lot of stuff to pull up and crush so they don't become tumbleweeds. Any morning now i expect the leaves on trees by north fence line and the couple on west end of property will start changing color.

While our days have been mostly sunny and mild our overnight temps have dropping considerably. I love fall for a variety of reasons. And i do better in cooler climes then hotter ones.

Last edited:

Back