Mice in the walls

If you want to find out where in the wall the mice are bring in a dog. Their sense of hearing is much more acute than humans.
I found that out in our office. Someone brought their dog in. He immediately went to the wall and barked. You can then check for openings where they might have come in. If you do find a hole, plug it with steel wool. They can't chew through it.

For them this is earning a living. They take food where they can find it. They are clever critters.
I remember a home made trap back in the good old days.

You get a container and fill it with water.
Then you get a stick and fasten it to the container so the mice can climb it and then get in. But you have to rig it so it works like a teeter totter. They get in but they can't get out and drown.
I worked in a building where they had grain sampling. Plenty of mice.

The humidifiers always had dead mice. That was o.k. It worked like a trap except it was my job to dump them. Everyone else was too squeamish.

Ugggh, I dislike mice and am terrified of them.View attachment 125140
Mice will not hurt you...except they get into dirty things and pee in places you don't want them to pee. I had one run across my barefoot once when I was a kid. In some ways they are like naked squirrels. Both of those critters messed with my cars. One squirrel stored grain in my pickup, a whole bunch of it. Mice stored a lot of grain in my mother's sewing machine cabinet in the spare bedroom.

FYI - poisoned mice or rats eat it an go home to die. If home is inside your walls, you will have a smelly house.

I don't have either but I do have a large black snake that considers my yard his home. We have an agreement. He does not bother me and I don't bother him.

Does anyone have a successful strategy for mice in the walls? I have tried and tried to prevent them, but have not had complete success. Now the weather is getting cool and I hear them. It makes me feel so helpless. I don't understand why manufactured homes are not required to be sealed up sufficiently for human habitation.
I use mouse traps, and it has been very effective. I also live in a mobile home, but I believe that they get in through heating ducts that are not being used. I have never had them in the walls, they are usually in the house, looking for food.

FYI - poisoned mice or rats eat it an go home to die. If home is inside your walls, you will have a smelly house.

I don't have either but I do have a large black snake that considers my yard his home. We have an agreement. He does not bother me and I don't bother him.
If you use poison make sure you have a pail of water around and access to it. They run for water when poisoned because it affects their digestive system.
What a terrible odor from any animal that decomposes.

Last edited:

We had a rat who ate the poison we put in the engine compartment of the car. He died there. One of his fellow rats ate part of him and then died himself. Right there. The carcusses dried there. It was hard to get off of the car.

I saw a program on television. It was a documentary from England.

It was about dogs. On a farm, they bring in these dogs called rat terriers. It's unbelievable when they turn over the hay piles what these dogs do to the rats. They just snap their neck and go to the next one. That's what they were bred for. That instinct doesn't leave.

Top 10 Rat-Hunting Dogs
  • Rat Terrier.
  • Cairn Terrier.
  • Yorkshire Terrier.
  • Norfolk Terrier.
  • Jack Russell Terrier.
  • West Highland White Terrier.
  • Dachshund.
  • Miniature Schnauzer.
Your dog may be cute but still a killer.

I don't do mice.... rephrase that. I don't do rodents in any form. I can count on one hand the mice I have had in my house over the last 60 years..... mice can climb about anything.... I went looking for a google for mobile homes.... and I found this.....

https://www.mobilehomesell.com/get-rid-of-rodents/ now... I liked....

CHASE THEM AWAY WITH DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
Diatomaceous earth is a white powder, made from the skeletons of microscopic water-dwelling organisms. These organisms live in rivers, streams, lakes, and other bodies of water. They’re called diatoms.

Because of its high absorbency, combining diatomaceous earth with essential oils is a great way to repel rodents. These critters can’t stand the smell of peppermint or lemon citrus essential oils. Combined with diatomaceous earth, you’ve created a rodent repellent that’s natural and safe for humans.

Back