Mice in the walls

I have a warehouse, where mice seem to be able to get under the bottom door seal of the garage door. I normally get one to two a year. I use the claw type mouse catcher, plastic and bait it with peanut butter mixed with caramel coffee syrup. Not much caramel, so as to make it runny but just enough to give it an inviting scent. It has never failed me, I think....they may be just too fat and immobile that I don't see them.

Every Fall and Winter, since we moved to the countryside, I have to contend with mice. I've tried various means of control, but found that the simplest and most effective means is to spot a half dozen basic traps, baited with cheese, in the basement. Those pests find their way in by squeezing under the garage door weatherstripping...I suspect....looking for warmth. So, any day now, I will place the traps, and if it is a normal year, I will probably squash a half dozen, or more.

My approach also, except that I bait the traps with peanut butter. I catch more with that than with cheese, and the mice aren't able to steal the bait. I've already squashed 3.

Poison...
If she poisons them and they die in the wall and start stinking, how's she going to get them out? I went on vacation and came back to a funny smell. At first it was faint, next day stronger and I realized a dead mouse was in here somewhere. I followed the smell which seemed to be along the baseboard in the living room where my computer and T.V. are. Nothing. Then it got stronger and seemed to be coming from the closet in the our studio room which part is adjacent to the hallway leading from the living room, part to the living room baseboard I first suspected. Nothing! Finally I called my son and he was able to come the next day. The odor had really gotten strong. Turns out the little critter had gotten trapped beneath the baseboard and died, not along the wall but along the studio window. Odor wafting through the house from dead mice in the walls would not be pleasant. Thank God I've only had mice get in here three times in the 49 years I've lived here.

If she poisons them and they die in the wall and start stinking, how's she going to get them out? I went on vacation and came back to a funny smell. At first it was faint, next day stronger and I realized a dead mouse was in here somewhere. I followed the smell which seemed to be along the baseboard in the living room where my computer and T.V. are. Nothing. Then it got stronger and seemed to be coming from the closet in the our studio room which part is adjacent to the hallway leading from the living room, part to the living room baseboard I first suspected. Nothing! Finally I called my son and he was able to come the next day. The odor had really gotten strong. Turns out the little critter had gotten trapped beneath the baseboard and died, not along the wall but along the studio window. Odor wafting through the house from dead mice in the walls would not be pleasant. Thank God I've only had mice get in here three times in the 49 years I've lived here.
yeah....its bad....not as bad as a fire caused by their gnawing electric wiring

I have no idea if it works, but I read that peppermint syrup or liquid is a winner getting rid of the pest. It makes them deathly ill and they pack their bags and find a new home. So maybe setting out peppermint candies might work, I don't think the ants would like it either. It's worth a try. The best offense would be a cat who has nothing better to do than wait for them to come out at night. They can do terrible damage to everything in the house, the electrical cords, walls, cabinets etc. There is no place they cannot go, except the bathtub !, if they make the mistake of going for water in the tub they cannot get out.

I have no idea if it works, but I read that peppermint syrup or liquid is a winner getting rid of the pest. It makes them deathly ill and they pack their bags and find a new home. So maybe setting out peppermint candies might work, I don't think the ants would like it either. It's worth a try. The best offense would be a cat who has nothing better to do than wait for them to come out at night. They can do terrible damage to everything in the house, the electrical cords, walls, cabinets etc. There is no place they cannot go, except the bathtub !, if they make the mistake of going for water in the tub they cannot get out.

I believe it's peppermint oil, which has a strong scent (and probably wouldn't work anyhow.) I wouldn't be setting out candy in hopes of running them off.

I got our first mouse this year, yesterday. My wife saw a mouse scampering across the kitchen floor, and she said it went under the dishwasher. So, I put a trap, baited with cheese, right next to the dishwasher, and within 10 minutes, we heard a "snap". That took care of that one, and I re-baited the trap, and put it in the same location....nothing there this morning, so hopefully that is it for now. If its a typical Winter, I will probably "eliminate" a half dozen of these pests in coming weeks.

Back