Microsoft are having a Laugh

Okay.

Back to the Windows updates ... I actually prefer to have it update while I'm around. It may take a while, but at least I can see what's going on and when it's done. When I see the little indicator that shows an update is available, I just click on it to get it going.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and advice,
there is nowhere that I can find, where I can set a time
to install updates, the only mention of time, is in the
"activity", area, mine has set itself, to 07.00 to 23.00, the
usual time that the PC is on, I tried to change it to, 07.00
to 08.00, but it reverted to the original time, same with,
13.00 to 14.00, I have tried changing things, while holding
down, the Ctrl, or the Alt, keys, nothing seems to work, I
bought and own the machine, yet I don't seem to have
full control of it!

Thank you all again.

Mike.

Okay. I don't find Windows unstable at all. I also spent many years coding stuff, so ...

Bottom line is that most Windows users are not likely to switch to Linux, regardless of anyone's wishes or preferences.
I think one issue is the lack of choice. I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but go into a computer store here and irrespective of the brand of computer, most will be pre-loaded with Windows. Unless you actually want to use a different OS, I suspect that most buyers will take what's offered.

At me, I went to a supermarket site, this afternoon, to
check availability and price of something, when I typed
the name of the product, my machine froze!

Grey screen, "Preparing to Update", (or something like),
"Do Not Turn Off Your Computer", after looking at this
screen, for half an hour, I got out my small pad laptop,
when I switched it on, I got similar messages on that, if
I hadn't already had grey hair, then it would have turned
then!

The little laptop, was open and ready first, the big machine
with the loads of memory and processors, took 55 minutes
to decide to come back and play.

I know we need these update, but they always come at the
wrong time for me.
😡🤬😡🤬

Mike.
My thought is that, in order to circumvent this, you simply turn on your device(s) before you go to the store — so that any updates are completed before you arrive at the store.

I switched to Dell Mini with 11 Pro about a month ago. I find it to be a different tool in the Shed.
So far, I have resisted the Cloud Based Stuff. We'll see as I have over 1T of storage. 24H2
Is to arrive sometime soon I believe. Key stroke commands make it easy to navigate its complexities.
I have a 2nd one too fall back on if Microsoft tricks me with the do not shut off your computer stuff.
Years ago I relied on the USPS. Now I rely on electronic backups. I can rely on junk mail from USPS.

Last edited:

Back