Missing and Found Dead

In 1991, I decided to give Investigations a try. My second case was a missing 17 y/o female that would walk the tracks across the street from her home to the school each day and then reverse the walk after school. We got a call at about 6 pm that day from a frantic mom that her daughter never made it to school that day. We asked all the usual questions like did she ever skip school before and so on. The mom told us she never missed a day of school, ever.

We walked the track about 4 times and didn’t find anything, so we brought the dog out and gave it a sniff of her perfume and her pocketbook that was lying in the closet and not being used that day. This gives the dog a few different smells to seek. When it got dark, the Sergeant called off the search, but I stayed behind and decided to give the track 1 more walk by myself.

I walked about a third of the way to the school when I saw a shiny object that caught my eye. When I turned on my flashlight and pointed it down at the shiny object, I saw a pile of debris that looked like it was piled over something. When I started clearing it away, an arm and hand appeared. I knew I found a body. The smell also gave it away.

I called for CSI snd the lead Investigator to return to the site. As it turned out, it was the missing girl. It took about 3 weeks to finish the investigation and take in our killer. An old boyfriend that was obsessed with her and couldn’t or didn’t want to let her go. Long story short, he pled guilty and was sentenced to life. In PA life is life. There is no parole. He just used his last appeal and the sentence had been upheld. He will die in prison. He was 18 at the time of the murder, so he could not appeal on age grounds.

I received a commendation for that arrest, but the family’s thanks meant more to me than the commendation meant. They were very thankful for the job we did, the arrest and the conviction. My Sergeant gave me all the credit, but I refused to accept it. I accepted the commendation on part of the whole department. It was a team effort. My Sergeant taught me a lot and it was because of him that I stuck to it and did that late walk on that night. He told me to “Never give up.” And that’s what I remembered my whole career. Had it not been for the light along the track that shined on her glass buttons, I would never had seen her.

I am glad you found her. It is so sad when people are never found…or never identified when they are. I would love to know what you think of using dna and genealogists to solve cold cases. I hear people say that they do not believe that law enforcement should be able to use sites like ancestry and others to trace family connections. I say we should provide funding for this very purpose.

Kudos to you 911.

You hear about this type of thing happening all/a lot of the time. Where they, LE, will look everywhere for the victim, and not be able to find them. Then later, a fresh set of eyes will look, and discover the body.

I watch a lot of crime shows..;)

Missing people are very difficult to locate. I have studied this topic for years, attended many seminars on the issue and spoke with a few hundred private investigators who deal with locating missing people. I am still looking for a nurse that got off work one morning, walked to her bus stop and hasn’t been seen since. Even though I am no longer employed, my search continues. A few years ago, I had a great lead, but it turned out not to be my girl, but she could have been her twin.

The one thing that sticks out most about missing people is that you don’t know what their thinking is. If you even mention the fact that maybe the person committed suicide, the family will not accept it as a possibility, yet we have found a lot of missing people have committed suicide.

Of course, we always have to figure out who saw the person last? After that, you can then trace their steps. Think about this. We had a 9 y/o boy go missing. On the third day, we found him hiding under a friend’s porch. His friend actually gave him up. He was afraid to go home because he got a note from his teacher that needed signed by his parents so they were aware that their son was caught throwing paper airplanes before class started.

I had to wonder if the child had a bad home life and was being physically abused. We investigated that possibility, but it came out false. The child had a good home life. He was just a scared little boy. His parents were very relieved that he was found.

We have missing person cases that goes back to the 50’s. At least now we do keep their DNA, so when we find a body that we can’t identify, we can run it through CODIS. A lot of missing people have been found through DNA.

We had a man go missing from boot camp during his first week. That was years ago. I don’t think they ever found him. It was at least 20 years since I last checked on him and he was stil AWOL. Why men do that, I never figured it out. If you want out, just go to the Sgt. and tell him you want out. He can start the ball rolling and if you have a good reason to leave, you will be on your way.

We had a couple of men that were needed at home for different reasons and were discharged. They weren’t allotted any benefits, but they were sent home. One fellow I really felt bad for. He wanted to be a Marine all his life. After high school, he immediately enlisted in the Marines. He was 1 of 9 children. He had been in boot camp 3 weeks when his father fell over dead with a heart attack.

A few weeks later, we received a letter from his mother asking us to please send him home because he was needed to help work and run the farm. He was the second oldest and the family really needed him to help work on the farm and also his contribution of pay to help pay the bills and feed the family. When we told him he was being discharged, he cried, but we did what we thought was best for his family.

A few years later, we got a letter from him thanking us for discharging him and he said in the letter he knew we did the right thing. He was almost 28 years old and again enlisted in the Corps. This time, he was able to stick it out and got in his 4 years of service. To me, he was a hero and a vigilant man of honor. I personally congratulated him for his work and the way he stuck to it. He left the Corps as a Staff Sgt.

Last edited:
May she R.I.P. and may her ex rot in hell. Seems that you had a very interesting job that you did very well. I can't imagine how many heartbreaking cases you must've had though.

May she R.I.P. and may her ex rot in hell. Seems that you had a very interesting job that you did very well. I can't imagine how many heartbreaking cases you must've had though.
He is still in prison where he belongs.

Back