Missing Perks

Wondering if anyone else misses the Perks you got while working, that are now gone
when you retired.

While working for a major hotel chain, as employees we had access to room discounts
that were pretty good.

Could stay at most of the chains hotels for 35-65 USDs per night.

We used this feature a lot and help spur us into more travel.

Also, our Christmas Parties were major productions with food, open bar, even some Ice Carvings!
The door prizes always included at least 5 vacations, usually a 3 night stay at one of the chain
hotels and wife and I won twice, visiting Washington DC and Tampa Florida (on the beach front).

Sure miss those Perks now.
Yes! Big time!!! I loved how when working on a college campus, we would make a dish and take it to the office in the morning and then at noon till one, everyone would gather and eat, talk, share on holidays like Christmas. I think it was no big thing if you were a little late getting back to work back in the day. I mean everyone, teachers, office workers, professors, custodians, maintenance workers-everyone brought a dish!

Yes! Big time!!! I loved how when working on a college campus, we would make a dish and take it to the office in the morning and then at noon till one, everyone would gather and eat, talk, share on holidays like Christmas. I think it was no big thing if you were a little late getting back to work back in the day. I mean everyone, teachers, office workers, professors, custodians, maintenance workers-everyone brought a dish!
My sister was college dean in Toronto and their admin offices had a very similar vibe. Cheerful, pleasant surroundings where people helped and supported one another (and the students).

She's remained close friends with many who worked in those offices, from clerks to kitchen staff to the college president, and greatly misses that aspect of working. The commute and endless paperwork, not so much.

Back