MLB isn't so "Major" anymore?

When I was a kid, I loved playing baseball. I grew up in the era when baseball was thought of as some kind of chess game. Chess isn't a spectator sport. Today, an average NFL game gets 17.5 million viewers, the 2023 MLB's World Series got 11 million. Superbowl gets 115 million. I think MLB is on the right track with the 30 second rule. The next thing is to get the managers off the field. The 2-3 minute caucus on the mound is not great TV. Watching a 60+ year old guy slowly walk from the dugout to the mound multiple times a game isn't "must see TV". I think there's enough action and drama in baseball to make it a major sport, but MLB has to get its players to actually play.

When I was a kid, I loved playing baseball. I grew up in the era when baseball was thought of as some kind of chess game. Chess isn't a spectator sport. Today, an average NFL game gets 17.5 million viewers, the 2023 MLB's World Series got 11 million. Superbowl gets 115 million. I think MLB is on the right track with the 30 second rule. The next thing is to get the managers off the field. The 2-3 minute caucus on the mound is not great TV. Watching a 60+ year old guy slowly walk from the dugout to the mound multiple times a game isn't "must see TV". I think there's enough action and drama in baseball to make it a major sport, but MLB has to get its players to actually play.
Frankly, I like the slow pace of baseball. On my antenna TV I can watch the occasional major league game, but a local station televises AAA baseball games from all over the country throughout both Saturday and Sunday. I love to watch the minors more than the majors. Lots more action. Lots more scoring. Lots more errors. And, lots more left to chance since these boys are not polished pros. Not slow games.

I know what you mean about major ball, but what turns me off most about televised baseball is the commercials. I hate their frequency and length. You are just back into to see the first pitch hit the catcher's glove with no idea what took place before hand. There are just way too many and too long commercial breaks.

But, football is the worst. Any break for any reason at any time and we are off to another commercial and one seen in the previous commercial break. They are constant and frequent. In baseball they are always at the change in sides at the inning break so I can time them and be off to the fridge, can, or phone call. But, with football they are constant and unpredictable. Eventually, commercials are going to kill the game just like they have televised movies with so many that you loose track of the story. You are right something has to change. Adverts have to change.

After the recent rule changes, it's not baseball any more.

Back