Monitoring Blood Pressure

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Is anyone monitoring your blood pressure? I just started a week ago and mine seems too high. I think there is a bit of a debate on what is too high. It used to be the top number could be 100 plus your age and be okay. Or am I incorrect about that? Then I heard 120/80 is normal. Mine was 188/89 today and it's been a bit higher and a bit lower this week. Mine used to be much lower and not that long ago.

What do you think?

What passes for "normal" blood pressure has changed over the years & the reason is obvious. The guidelines for what's normal are lowered to put more people on medication. They do the same thing for blood sugar. I have friends in their 80's who were put on blood sugar drugs because their doctors said their blood sugar was "Above normal." As a diabetic myself, I know what's normal & their blood sugar was normal for their age. A pancreas wears out - along with hearts, lungs, kidneys & joints as we age, & a slight elevation in blood sugar in an 85 year old does not mean drugs are needed.
Before I changed my diet & lost weight 36 years ago, I also had "high" blood pressure - around 180/90 & a doctor wanted to put me on medication.
I said "I'm going to make some lifestyle changes first & see if that helps."
He got very irritated & told me, "I wouldn't if I were you."
I said, "That's OK, because you're not me."
Ever since, my blood pressure has averaged 118/60.

You were correct about what is a common normal number, for bp (120 over 80) @Ruthanne
The much higher number that you are getting is too high.

But there are 2 possibilities. One is whether or not your monitor is giving you an accurate number or not. It could give you an inaccurate number, Either because it might not be working, or you might not be taking it correctly.

The other is, what were you doing at the time? You should sit for a few minutes and relax, before taking it, and follow the instructions carefully. The bp number can go up and down many times per day, in response to your activity level. That fluctuation is normal. It goes up to help you, if you are exercising, etc.... It also goes up, when you are nervous or upset or excitd, but should go back down, once you relax.

But if it stays up that high a number as you said you got , then that is too high, and you need to be checked out.

Drop salt in the meantime, as it causes bp spikes as well.

Btw, Ruthanne, if you can have anyone else check your bp for you, then be sure to take your own monitor with you, to see if it measures the same as theirs, at the time, or not.

I don't know but they might check your bp and the monitor at a pharmacy?

What passes for "normal" blood pressure has changed over the years & the reason is obvious. The guidelines for what's normal are lowered to put more people on medication. They do the same thing for blood sugar. I have friends in their 80's who were put on blood sugar drugs because their doctors said their blood sugar was "Above normal." As a diabetic myself, I know what's normal & their blood sugar was normal for their age. A pancreas wears out - along with hearts, lungs, kidneys & joints as we age, & a slight elevation in blood sugar in an 85 year old does not mean drugs are needed.
Before I changed my diet & lost weight 36 years ago, I also had "high" blood pressure - around 180/90 & a doctor wanted to put me on medication.
I said "I'm going to make some lifestyle changes first & see if that helps."
He got very irritated & told me, "I wouldn't if I were you."
I said, "That's OK, because you're not me."
Ever since, my blood pressure has averaged 118/60.
Good for you in getting your numbers down.

You were correct about what is a common normal number, for bp (120 over 80) @Ruthanne
The much higher number that you are getting is too high.

But there are 2 possibilities. One is whether or not your monitor is giving you an accurate number or not. It could give you an inaccurate number, Either because it might not be working, or you might not be taking it correctly.

The other is, what were you doing at the time? You should sit for a few minutes and relax, before taking it, and follow the instructions carefully. The bp number can go up and down many times per day, in response to your activity level. That fluctuation is normal. It goes up to help you, if you are exercising, etc.... It also goes up, when you are nervous or upset or excitd, but should go back down, once you relax.

But if it stays up that high a number as you said you got , then that is too high, and you need to be checked out.

Drop salt in the meantime, as it causes bp spikes as well.
I take it when I'm as relaxed as possible most times. Took it this morning. I have followed the directions to it. I realize that about salt but can't drop it all-we need some in our diet. I do try to cut it down, though. Thanks for your input.

Btw, Ruthanne, if you can have anyone else check your bp for you, then be sure to take your own monitor with you, to see if it measures the same as theirs, at the time, or not.

I don't know but they might check your bp and the monitor at a pharmacy?
I have portal hypertension. I am thinking of going in to the clinic to get it checked.

Are you using a cuff? Are you putting it over a bare arm?
Thick clothing will give you a higher reading.

For some reason mine has started to go up after decades of being low. And Win231 is right...the standards keep changing. Same for cholesterol targets. The doctor will tell you that they change the target, but cannot give a medical reason why.

I told the new doctor that every time they change the standards, the more they confirm that they don't know what they're talking about. My doctors dislike opinionated patients. They should have become vets.

Are you using a cuff? Are you putting it over a bare arm?
Thick clothing will give you a higher reading.

For some reason mine has started to go up after decades of being low. And Win231 is right...the standards keep changing. Same for cholesterol targets. The doctor will tell you that they change the target, but cannot give a medical reason why.

I told the new doctor that every time they change the standards, the more they confirm that they don't know what they're talking about. My doctors dislike opinionated patients. They should have become vets.
Yes, I am putting it on my bare arm.

I'm not familiar with that type of hypertension, Ruthanne, so take the very best care of yourself as possible! 💜

Googled it for you: I copied and pasted what they had there:
Portal hypertension is an increase in the pressure within the portal vein (the vein that carries blood from the digestive organs to the liver). The increase in pressure is caused by a blockage in the blood flow through the liver.

When you have portal hypertension, this increased pressure makes it harder for blood to flow normally through the portal vein. ... They swell up and may burst (rupture) under the added pressure. Treatment is needed to prevent them from bursting and bleeding. If bleeding occurs, it can be fatal.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=134&ContentID=179

Last edited:
That seems like something that needs to be monitored in some ways, ongoing. I don't know which ways, or how often.
I am sorry you have that problem, Ruthanne. :(

Have you had any blood draws, recently, before the epidemic became such a big factor? Do they do regular blood tests for liver function for you? Or sonograms or something else?

This all brings back up that other issue, that many of us hate to need to go into a medical facility, during the epidemic, even when we should be checked for an unrelated possible or known ongoing problem.
:confused:💛💙

High blood pressure can burst capillaries in your eyeballs among others things that impact all of your organs. I had an eye exam a few months back and the doctor said she saw some burst in very small vessels. She said to keep my pressure as low as possible.188 is hypertension and Ruthanne you need to get to a doctor.

That seems like something that needs to be monitored in some ways, ongoing. I don't know which ways, or how often.
I am sorry you have that problem, Ruthanne. :(

Have you had any blood draws, recently, before the epidemic became such a big factor? Do they do regular blood tests for liver function for you? Or sonograms or something else?

This all brings back up that other issue, that many of us hate to need to go into a medical facility, during the epidemic, even when we should be checked for an unrelated possible or known ongoing problem.
:confused:💛💙
No, I haven't had recent labs but need to have them however been too scared to go because of the pandemic. Also do need an ultrasound--it's on order now. I also need an endoscopy. Going to get to the labs first..trying to get my nerve up. Then will come the ultrasound.

I checked the reviews on that blood pressure measuring device and 3 pages down their were bad ones that said the meter gave wildly inaccurate readings--I'm wondering if that may be the case with me, too. Going to go to CVS and use their machine. Thank you for your feedback.

High blood pressure can burst capillaries in your eyeballs among others things that impact all of your organs. I had an eye exam a few months back and the doctor said she saw some burst in very small vessels. She said to keep my pressure as low as possible.188 is hypertension and Ruthanne you need to get to a doctor.
The device I used may be faulty. Going to check at CVS first.

Hi, @Ruthanne
I've been thinking of you, and wondered if you have managed yet, to go and get your bp machine checked out, to see if it is accurate or not. That seemed like a very good first step to me.

Many of them are not reliable, and it would help to know if yours is good or not.
Then, think about which feels safer to you, to try next after that...the labwork or the ultrasound.

I also hope your wrist improves, and was glad to see in other threads, that you and some others of us, are not doing anything this weekend, so some of us will still be in and out, around here! :)

Hello there @Kaila I went to CVS to see about getting it checked and the bp machine was temporarily closed and the minute clinic was away on lunch..didn't want to wait an hour in the store so came home. I ordered a new bp arm cuff monitor as I think it may be better than the wrist one I previously bought. It was a good price and had good reviews. I should get it tomorrow so we will see how that goes. I really appreciate your concern and will update you.

@Kaila I'm taking things one at a time now. Dealing with the BP and also a sprained wrist. I want to get them both under control, I mean better. I have messaged my doctor about the high BP and if it's lower when I use the new cuff I will message him again as an update. A month ago he started me on a new BP medicine and said he's starting me at a low dose. I asked him in my message if he wants to increase it now.

@Kaila I'm taking things one at a time now. Dealing with the BP and also a sprained wrist. I want to get them both under control, I mean better. I have messaged my doctor about the high BP and if it's lower when I use the new cuff I will message him again as an update. A month ago he started me on a new BP medicine and said he's starting me at a low dose. I asked him in my message if he wants to increase it now.
Wonder how many folks have higher than normal BP during this plague time, you know?!

Back