Mr. Ed seeking advice

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
I’m in a funk this Holliday season. The weather here is cold and dark, still recovering from two surgeries, absent from work for six days and angered a coworker for reporting a HIPPA violation.

I feel this year with COVID 19 and mandatory seclusion I have lost or misplaced JOY. I don’t how to generate JOY for the Holliday season.
I counted my blessings but sorrow and disappointment are quiet high on this year’s rector scale. I googled how to generate joy, some examples included`, go on an adventure, listen to music, meet someone new...etc.

What do you suggest to generate JOY?

I love to walk ,however, I broke my left foot in childhood injury. Several years ago I was responsible for overseeing medication intake for a 50-bed addiction recovery center. Standing for up to two hours daily aggravated bone tissue and nerve endings to the point that today I can hardly walk without pain.

With acupuncture however, I found relief and so I’ve gone back to receiving treatments.

I work at being positive finding the joy in the little things If you can donate to the food shelf or if there is an angel tree to buy gifts for kids or nursing home residents. It just puts life in perspective for me when I realize how much I have. Take care!!

Fill your day with things you enjoy that you can do at home. Call someone you know everyday to see how they are doing. Lifts your spirits and theirs, too. Set aside some time every day for reading and exercise. Take a walk or find a reason to spend just a little time outside. Watch a good movie or find an interesting documentary on TV. Get an early start on spring cleaning. I'm going to use the coming winter months to do a 'clear out'. If I haven't used it in the last year, it's going in my donation bin or the trash.
Joy just isn't going to happen for us, at this time. All we can do is find ways to fill our time well to ward off boredom. But, we all have to find ways to keep ourselves mentally and physically fit so that when we are free of this virus, we can enjoy our freedom.

First off you did the right thing concerning the HIPAA violation so pat yourself on the back for that.

Second I haven't had the Christmas spirit in forever. Don't want it either. But...I would suggest opening the blinds or drapes or whatever you have...put on some Christmas music and start decorating. Get your gifts bought and wrapped or whatever. No one to buy for? Buy for yourself. Make yourself some cocoa or eggnog or whatever your preferred drink is. Look for Christmas movies or stories to read. If it's snowing and you can't be in it...watch it through the window. Good luck! Hope you get better soon!

I'm not sure you can create joy. When things suck, they suck. Lack of joy is mental so I distract myself mentally. If I'm in a mental funk, just putting on the TV and watching something pleasant distracts me from the inner funk. You don't change reality but it feels bettter.

I don't have the holiday spirt I had years ago when my family was still here and I don't dwell on the fact. It is what it is. Instead I do what I enjoy the most. I don't even decorate much anymore. A small tree in our sitting room. I appreciate this when after the holidays I don't have to dismantle the house. It makes for more "me time". Sewing, reading, painting. My hubby loves doing models. Maybe you would enjoy that? There are so many to choose from.

Since I'm not interested in crafts or hobbies--the only thing I can stand to do with my hands is turn the pages of a book or operate a computer mouse or keyboard--I also put the TV on with something at least remotely pleasant. I'm lonely a lot & the TV provides background noise; plus I figure it'll get me used to the noise in the skilled nursing facility when that day comes.

When I'm feeling down, I've found that drinking mass quantities of alcohol and watching classic rock concerts on YouTube helps lift me out of the funk. The next day, I'm usually rundown from the alcohol, so I don't do much. That holds me over for several days until the world starts getting to me again, at which time I repeat the process.
You are being facetious, right? I hope

What's outside your window Mr Ed? I look at the changing of the leaves. A blue tit came to visit the bird feeder and a number of starlings. I kept an eye on the cats that wander around from the neighbour and observed their behaviour including my cat Treacle who was kept indoors but tail was wagging at the sight of the birds. I looked at the colours in my stir fry. I noticed my airplants were growing. I gave an ear to a friend who was very down and sent a text to a friend in the Czech republic who is now in a seniors home. The point I am alluding to Mr Ed is that we often don't see the pleasure around us in all its different forms. I hope you can find a few small things to lift your spirits. I wish you well. But I do understand how hard it is. Just some thoughts. 🤗

I think it's normal for you to not feel joy at this time. Give yourself a break for not feeling light-hearted. As things resolve, or you learn to live with the outcomes, life will feel less and less heavy. I doubt there are any shortcuts, but if you find some let me know.

Back