Mr. Ed seeking advice

I’m in a funk this Holliday season. The weather here is cold and dark, still recovering from two surgeries, absent from work for six days and angered a coworker for reporting a HIPPA violation.

I feel this year with COVID 19 and mandatory seclusion I have lost or misplaced JOY. I don’t how to generate JOY for the Holliday season.
I counted my blessings but sorrow and disappointment are quiet high on this year’s rector scale. I googled how to generate joy, some examples included`, go on an adventure, listen to music, meet someone new...etc.

What do you suggest to generate JOY?
This has been such a hard year for everyone and I feel and share your pain. Lonliness and isolation are joy-robbers.
Make a list of the things that make you happiest, even the little things like cozy slippers or a hot mug of coffee, tea or cocoa. List any music, movies or books that made you happy and search them out to listen to or re-watch or re-read.
If you are not allergic, a kitty to cuddle and love can bring you comfort and joy while being very low maintenance. I have two dogs and while they are NOT low maintenance, I would be very lonley without them. Keep connected with everyone on this site. We are a caring bunch, I think.

I have learned over the years that joy comes from within; that is from your heart. Shopping & buying stuff is only a very temporary fix. If you love books, get/borrow some good ones & read. If you love women, get yourself a good girl friend or wife & love her to pieces. If you love music, listen to your favourite artist. Alcohol helps but don't over do it or you will not have any joy the next morning when you wake up; just a bloody hangover. Nature lovers/hikers do well going outside each day. Just find your passion & go for it. One thing, DO NOT DO: Waste a lot of time reading or watching the news. Trust me; been there & done it but don't want to do it again.

This has been such a hard year for everyone and I feel and share your pain. Lonliness and isolation are joy-robbers.
Make a list of the things that make you happiest, even the little things like cozy slippers or a hot mug of coffee, tea or cocoa. List any music, movies or books that made you happy and search them out to listen to or re-watch or re-read.
If you are not allergic, a kitty to cuddle and love can bring you comfort and joy while being very low maintenance. I have two dogs and while they are NOT low maintenance, I would be very lonley without them. Keep connected with everyone on this site. We are a caring bunch, I think.
Lost a post again. This is annoying.

FYI I feel better! Last week the incident with my coworker was resolved. I resumed acupuncture treatment, I reached out to a former counselor of which I will begin video sessions next Thursday. The prevalent of events occurred today at work when two residents asked for help and I was able to oblige.

Hi Mr Ed
I’m new to this forum and as I was glancing through the posts, yours caught my eye, because boy, can I relate!!! I seem to go in and out of this supposed joy thing. One day I’ll be fine and can get into a bit...the next day, nothing. So what I do? Crank up oldies 50 60’s music on alexa. Sing or dance around for a bit. I also read a lot...great escape for me to put myself in someone elses story rather than my own. I will also throw myself on the phone and call someone to meet up for coffee or something just to make myself get out of the house. Let’s see...what else do I do? I used to like to go to a store or somewhere just to smile at people and see them smile back, but face masks have kind of killed that one. I no longer watch ANY news, national or local, nor do I read magazines or newspapers and that has made an AMAZING difference for the better. Man, that stuff would depress me like nobody’s business. It would anger me, frustrate me, sadden me...and I thought, “why am I doing this to myself? I can’t change it or do one damn thing about it.” So I just stopped and figure I’ll pop back out on Ground Hog Day and see what is happening😊
My only fear is that I will get sick and the doctors will ask me who the president is to check my mental status...and I will have to say that I don’t know. Uh oh!!! 😊. I hope some of this helps and that you will find what works for you💕

Hi Mr Ed
I’m new to this forum and as I was glancing through the posts, yours caught my eye, because boy, can I relate!!! I seem to go in and out of this supposed joy thing. One day I’ll be fine and can get into a bit...the next day, nothing. So what I do? Crank up oldies 50 60’s music on alexa. Sing or dance around for a bit. I also read a lot...great escape for me to put myself in someone elses story rather than my own. I will also throw myself on the phone and call someone to meet up for coffee or something just to make myself get out of the house. Let’s see...what else do I do? I used to like to go to a store or somewhere just to smile at people and see them smile back, but face masks have kind of killed that one. I no longer watch ANY news, national or local, nor do I read magazines or newspapers and that has made an AMAZING difference for the better. Man, that stuff would depress me like nobody’s business. It would anger me, frustrate me, sadden me...and I thought, “why am I doing this to myself? I can’t change it or do one damn thing about it.” So I just stopped and figure I’ll pop back out on Ground Hog Day and see what is happening😊
My only fear is that I will get sick and the doctors will ask me who the president is to check my mental status...and I will have to say that I don’t know. Uh oh!!! 😊. I hope some of this helps and that you will find what works for you💕
Thanks to Kathleen's Place, excellent advice I particularly like the idea of hibernating until Groundhogs Day, but alas Bill Murray would drive me crazy. I can't name the president of the USA. Perhaps I'm detached from reality, oh well, the present state of all things global and local I'm not missing much.

Back