Mrs. Doubtfire - funny scene

I wasn't a Robin Williams fan, with one exception: "Mrs. Doubtfire". Saw it again recently, and this scene always cracks me up
I'm curious. Why weren't you "a fan" of Robin Williams? Was there something about him I don't know? I always saw him as a warm and fuzzy clown knocking himself out to make the world laugh. He always made me laugh. And sometimes brought me to tears...like in "Patch Adams". I even cried in Mrs. Doubtfire too lol.

I watched the scene and I laugh every time I see him jump over all the tables in the restaurant to rescue the man choking.

@ Lara

Happy to answer your question. Robin was too "manic" for my tastes, ESPECIALLY in interviews and talk shows. He couldn't sit still, seemed not to be able to give a sensible answer to a question. I didn't like Mork & Mindy, never saw many of his movies such as Good Morning Vietnam or Patch Adams....and I know he had a large body of work. But I was shocked and saddened when I heard he had taken his life.

I watched the scene and I laugh every time I see him jump over all the tables in the restaurant to rescue the man choking.
YES! "Help is on the way, dear!" The Pierce Brosnan Heimlich maneuver. :laugh:

But, and this might surprise you, I've always loved Jim Carrey...seen almost all his movies. I know people who cannot stand Jim, and I mention it because some feel Jim is more irritating than Robin ever was. Go figure :shrug:

Thank you for your response. I understand what you're saying and I agree. He was "manic", unable to sit still, and answered questions with a joke. I like many of Jim Carrey's movies but there's something about his personal life I don't like. Can't remember what it was since I never pay much attention to hollywood buzz.

My nephew's wife is a comedian and was a writer for Jim Carrey until her recent pregnancy with twins. She had 2 girls and she's hoping now to get her job back.

Forgot to mention I liked Robin's song from the animated Aladdin.

Jim Carrey's biggest hit movies show him doing a lot with his rubbery face, flexible body, but he's been called the ultimate over- actor.

That is probably my favorite scene from Mrs. Doubtfire. The reason it's my favorite has nothing to do with Williams, and everything to do with Sally Fields. "The whole time?" repeated several times in different emotions was absolutely classic. And then that mantra of "I have to go/we have to leave" scene was brilliant. She's an underrated, amazing actress.

Hey Ronnie,
Sally has won 2 Oscars, 4 Emmys, and been nominated for a list of awards a mile long. I don't think she's underrated or unappreciated. :) Her performance in Sybil was stellar imo.
At 71 she still looks fantastic.

@ Lara

Happy to answer your question. Robin was too "manic" for my tastes, ESPECIALLY in interviews and talk shows. He couldn't sit still, seemed not to be able to give a sensible answer to a question. I didn't like Mork & Mindy, never saw many of his movies such as Good Morning Vietnam or Patch Adams....and I know he had a large body of work. But I was shocked and saddened when I heard he had taken his life.

YES! "Help is on the way, dear!" The Pierce Brosnan Heimlich maneuver. :laugh:

But, and this might surprise you, I've always loved Jim Carrey...seen almost all his movies. I know people who cannot stand Jim, and I mention it because some feel Jim is more irritating than Robin ever was. Go figure 🤷
The manic way he was in interviews & talk shows was part of his illness, which is why he committed suicide.

There's an excellent biography, "Robin" by Dave Itzkoff.

Robin Williams was highly creative and such a fast, creative thinker that he seemed manic since his late teens - it had nothing to do with the horrific Lewy Body Disease, which developed toward the end of his life and prompted him to commit suicide.

I was a fan since the time he guested on Happy Days. Didn't love all his movies but sure appreciated his spectacular intelligence and tremendous wit. Especially loved Good Morning, Vietnam and Mrs. Doubtfire.

Last edited:

Back