My apartment bldg has been sold

Rent control is where the city sets the maximum rent that can be charged. It is a big city thing.

I learned of one case where if the landlord made improvements he could raise the rent. I this particular case the landlord replaced a perfectly good stove and was able to raise the rent. Friend of a friend, we were given the old stove and used it for years after.

I don't know how rent control works. I really feel for those who may not have had an option like this that worked for them.
In Canada, the rent control system is operated by the Province or Territory ( think US State ) not a city. That means that the system is wide spread and FAIR to all. Here in Ontario ( population 15 million people ) the maximum increase in 2023 is TWO AND A HALF PERCENT of the 2023 rent amount per month. The Landlord MUST give the tenant 90 days of advance notice of any rent increase. The tenant has a choice...move out , or pay the new monthly rent amount. JimB.

In Canada, the rent control system is operated by the Province or Territory ( think US State ) not a city. That means that the system is wide spread and FAIR to all. Here in Ontario ( population 15 million people ) the maximum increase in 2023 is TWO AND A HALF PERCENT of the 2023 rent amount per month. The Landlord MUST give the tenant 90 days of advance notice of any rent increase. The tenant has a choice...move out , or pay the new monthly rent amount. JimB.
2.5% is at least decent. Many states in the U.S. have nothing. And people are suffering. California allowed 10% last year and with rent prices in this state, that's a lot. I live in an area that had decent rent and property prices, but with the fires, big increased. I think things have increased all over though. Newsom, governor of California, should not have allowed 10%. He's a jerk.

2.5% is at least decent. Many states in the U.S. have nothing. And people are suffering. California allowed 10% last year and with rent prices in this state, that's a lot. I live in an area that had decent rent and property prices, but with the fires, big increased. I think things have increased all over though. Newsom, governor of California, should not have allowed 10%. He's a jerk.
Before AB1482 was passed there were no statewide rent increase caps in California. According to this 2019 law, city and county rent control ordinances take precedence over the state law. As you noted, only a tiny handful of states have any rent control laws whatsoever. Indeed, many, many states actually have laws outlawing the imposition of rent control by local municipalities.

California's state law is intended to be a backstop, permitting a 5% increase plus the increase in regional CPI, or a 10% increase, whichever is less. Before that, in California municipalities without rent contol laws landlords could rents as they damn well pleased.

Before AB1482 was passed there were no statewide rent increase caps in California. According to this 2019 law, city and county rent control ordinances take precedence over the state law. As you noted, only a tiny handful of states have any rent control laws whatsoever. Indeed, many, many states actually have laws outlawing the imposition of rent control by local municipalities.

California's state law is intended to be a backstop, permitting a 5% increase plus the increase in regional CPI, or a 10% increase, whichever is less. Before that, in California municipalities without rent contol laws landlords could rents as they damn well pleased.
Yes, it's egregious. I guess the 10% is better than nothing. I've heard Florida is a nightmare in rent increases. I don't talk to my brother but according to my stepfather his daughter had her rent increased in, I believe, North Carolina, $300.00. She has a good job and luckily had the smarts to go buy a townhouse.

And they wonder why people don't have any money cushion or people are living out of their cars or on the street. I know some people do it to themselves one way or another but the working slob is not doing well.

Yes, it's egregious. I guess the 10% is better than nothing. I've heard Florida is a nightmare in rent increases. I don't talk to my brother but according to my stepfather his daughter had her rent increased in, I believe, North Carolina, $300.00. She has a good job and luckily had the smarts to go buy a townhouse.

And they wonder why people don't have any money cushion or people are living out of their cars or on the street. I know some people do it to themselves one way or another but the working slob is not doing well.
Yep. I remember when growing up, if any of us girls would say that when we grew up we wanted to live in a mansion or big, beautiful house, the others would say to her, "Well, you'd better marry a millionaire then." Now it's, "Oh you want to live in anything other than your car? Better become or marry a multimillionaire then."

I assume you are aware that the 10% increase was actually a combination? The max increase is 5%/yr, plus inflation allowance - which, again, is capped at 5%. Actual CA inflation in 2022 was 13+%.

Back