My Controversial New Plan To Rid Myself Of VA Dependence

hauntedtexan

Being a service connected disabled veteran, I am entitled to free medical care by the VA. Some folks have good luck with them, I am fed up with them and have decided to rid myself of VA care. Since 2005, when the VA admitted the 2 operations on my left foot were the wrong procedures and I became fully disabled, having to walk with a cane. They have prescribed 4 debilitating Hydrocodone 10's per day for pain. Along with 6 other meds to cover complications of the pain for blood pressure, joint damage, etc.

Having adjusted my lifestyle to what is similar to a hermit to minimize discomfort, I have decided to wean myself off all of the medication, the toughest being that damned opioid. Since I am 2 miles inside their 40 mile limit for accessing outside care, they refuse to take into consideration my travel difficulties and transportation issues due to the guaranteed DUI conviction if I drive under the pain pills that will show in my system 24hrs a day. If I don't show up for the mandatory blood work, they will no longer refill my prescriptions.

So, today is the beginning of "the weaning". If it kills me, I will die drug free. I have found instruction from the web on the steps to take because the VA hasn't got back to me, par for the course of their excellent caregivers. In 10 years, I have worked hard to never fully exhaust a monthly prescription of the pain pills, because I refuse to have them "own" me. and have turned in every months excess to the med-box at the police station. Wish me luck and if anyone else has weaned themselves off of medications, please send me hints so I can make it through this alive.

Good luck with getting away from VA and pain killer dependence. They may do alot of good for a lot of vets, but I couldn't wait to get away from the VA, after I came back from Vietnam.

You are eligible for Medicare? I just started so I'm not sure, but my SIL had a hip replacement last year, with very little out-of-pocket expense.

Being a service connected disabled veteran, I am entitled to free medical care by the VA. Some folks have good luck with them, I am fed up with them and have decided to rid myself of VA care. Since 2005, when the VA admitted the 2 operations on my left foot were the wrong procedures and I became fully disabled, having to walk with a cane. They have prescribed 4 debilitating Hydrocodone 10's per day for pain. Along with 6 other meds to cover complications of the pain for blood pressure, joint damage, etc.

Having adjusted my lifestyle to what is similar to a hermit to minimize discomfort, I have decided to wean myself off all of the medication, the toughest being that damned opioid. Since I am 2 miles inside their 40 mile limit for accessing outside care, they refuse to take into consideration my travel difficulties and transportation issues due to the guaranteed DUI conviction if I drive under the pain pills that will show in my system 24hrs a day. If I don't show up for the mandatory blood work, they will no longer refill my prescriptions.

So, today is the beginning of "the weaning". If it kills me, I will die drug free. I have found instruction from the web on the steps to take because the VA hasn't got back to me, par for the course of their excellent caregivers. In 10 years, I have worked hard to never fully exhaust a monthly prescription of the pain pills, because I refuse to have them "own" me. and have turned in every months excess to the med-box at the police station. Wish me luck and if anyone else has weaned themselves off of medications, please send me hints so I can make it through this alive.

I too have a service connected disability for hearing loss only, at 70%. Although I could use the VA for ALL MEDICAL I utilize NON VA doctors for every thing else. I have been extremely pleased with what the VA have done for me. I use Medicare & a Supplement for everything other than HEARING.

Good luck with getting away from VA and pain killer dependence. They may do alot of good for a lot of vets, but I couldn't wait to get away from the VA, after I came back from Vietnam.

You are eligible for Medicare? I just started so I'm not sure, but my SIL had a hip replacement last year, with very little out-of-pocket expense.

I had both hips replaced in 2013 (two separate surgeries and hospitalizations) and had VERY little out-of-pocket, too. I was actually surprised. AND, I am ecstatic about the results!

These "opioids" are becoming a real problem in the US. I saw a piece on the news recently where they said that 80% of those drugs are being prescribed by US doctors...they must be getting some Real Generous "kickbacks" from the drug companies. I've been prescribed this Junk twice in the last couple of years....for arthritis in my hip, and more recently a root canal. I took a couple of those pills, but they made me feel half drunk, so the rest of them are sitting in the cabinet. I've found that a generic Aleve...Naproxen Sodium...works just as well for me when I've overworked the hip, and I might take one or two of those a week.

Haunted, I don't have any personal experience but might suggest a couple of supplements that may help ease the withdrawal symptoms, also an article with more information about natural helpers. I think a vitamin B-50 complex will help to relieve some of the stress of withdrawal and balance the nerves. I use Solaray brand. Magnesium Citrate will help to relieve muscle tension, I use Natural Factors 150mg. caps. Also warm Epsom Baths will help sweat out the toxins through the skin while overall relaxation of the muscles.

Here's an article that may help with some suggestions. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...tary-chasing-the-dragon-opioid-addiction.aspx

It's better to get some medical assistance with detoxification, but I know that's not always easy or possible. I'll be thinking of you and I wish you the best of luck to get off those pain pills safely.

I'd pursue some kind of redress for the foot operations. Although I think permanent disability and continued 'care' would be their only compensation. I'd at least try to get in on a class action suit so your case is documented. I think tn's suggestion of medicare is the best solution now although they might try to bounce you back for accounting reasons.

As far as the opioids as long as you make steady progress ie reduction in number of pills per day or used I wouldn't be in a hurry. Not as serious but when I don't get my daily caffeine and wind up with caffeine headaches I've found lots of fluids, especially water before the headache gets too bad helps alot. Also do things like gingerale and a few drops of real lime or lemon juice in water or the soda also helps with nausea. Docs have also told me for pain I can do 2 tylenol and 2 motrin at the sametime which I was already doing for sinus headaches.

Good Luck, hang in there!

Back