My favorite thing to do when stuck in the house.

Well, actually, i do have a serious question about sculptures. How many of you are opposed to nudity in sculptures? I sculpt a lot of nudes but some people are abhored by them and tell me to put clothes on them. I see nothing wrong with the human body, (looking at it artistically). I have no one to ask except you folks. Please tell me what you honestly think about nudity in art. Here's a few:

Michelangelo sculpted and painted nudes (and did it for the Vatican no less), why not you. You have great talent.

Gaer, I'm not the least bit religious, but this is my favorite Michelangelo. Not only for it's realistic anatomical details, but it also shows and tells a story about maternal love and grief.

Your work is brilliant. Seriously good.
What inspired you to do this type of work?
What do you use to make it. Your medium?
What tools do you use?
How long have you been doing this
How long does it usually take you to do one?
Do you have a special room to do your work; like an own art studio ?

Ok I found one answer so far. Clay and tooth picks.
That’s so cool? You have amazing perspective. Everything is in perfect proportion.
Keesha, You are so sweet! Why don't you get some clay and try this? I could do a sculpture a day but don't have the money to get them all bronzed!
inspiration? It was an URGE! I was living up in a cabin in the mountains and had to drive quite a ways but I HAD TO HAVE CLAY! I made a sculpture, got it bronzed and sold it for a lot of money! I was ecstatic that someone would pay for a sculpture!
a studio? Yes, I have a little studio and gallery in front of my home. and a HUGE library.
I've been so busy with my writings I didn't have time to sculpt, or paint so I guess it's been 10 years since I started both painting and sculpting. I've reached a balance between all three. All, (Well, a lot of) my work is on Flickr.com under Cheryl Gaer Barlow (people), if you want to see the rest. Thanks for asking! I could do a lot better if I had real models!
But Keesha, If you want to try this I can explain everything I do! Let me know!

Last edited:
Keesha, You are so sweet! Why don't you get some clay and try this? I could do a sculpture a day but don't have the money to get them all bronzed!
inspiration? It was an URGE! I was living up in a cabin in the mountains and had to drive quite a ways but I HAD TO HAVE CLAY! I made a sculpture, got it bronzed and sold it for a lot of money! I was ecstatic that someone would pay for a sculpture!
a studio? Yes, I have a little studio and gallery in front of my home. and a HUGE library.
I've been so busy with my writings I didn't have time to sculpt, or paint so I guess it's been 10 years since I started both painting and sculpting. I've reached a balance between all three. All, (Well, a lot of) my work is on Flickr.com under Cheryl Gaer Barlow (people), if you want to see the rest. Thanks for asking! I could do a lot better if I had real models!
But Keesha, If you want to try this I can explain everything I do! Let me know!
A sculpture a day? That’s incredible. Even all the folds and creases in the last sculpture on this page is mind boggling. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that you can create such masterpieces in a day. Correction: that was Michelangelo!🤭😂

I looked up your work on Flickr.com but nothing shows up. Perhaps I need to join the site or something. An Etsy store showed up with nothing. Did they not sell well on Etsy? My husband and I have an Etsy store that I used to run but I stopped so he shut it down.

A few of your acrylic paintings showed up also but the main thing that showed up were your books on talking to angels sold on Amazon.

You certainly are multitalented. How long did you live in a cabin in the mountains for? Was it enjoyable? Why did you leave?

You remind me of myself. You have so many hobbies, you can’t keep up with them all. The idea of working with clay is interesting. Maybe some day I’ll check it out. At the moment I have too many things on my plate. My main hobby being my saxophone playing and singing. Plus I spend far too much time online yakking. Lol. THAT in itself has become a new hobby. 🤦‍♀️ Lol

When is the last time you made a sculpture?

I'm not fishing for compliments. Sculpting is my favorite activity (since I don't have a man, haha!) If we are to stay away from socializing, why not do something creative? Painting? Needlepoint? For me, a blank canvas or a lump of clay and I'm in Heaven! Thought I'd show you some of my work to be bronzed, to motivate you to do your OWN creative pursuits!

WOH! That's TALENT!!!! :love:

Well, actually, i do have a serious question about sculptures. How many of you are opposed to nudity in sculptures? I sculpt a lot of nudes but some people are abhored by them and tell me to put clothes on them. I see nothing wrong with the human body, (looking at it artistically). I have no one to ask except you folks. Please tell me what you honestly think about nudity in art. Here's a few:
These are amazing! I love the detail.

Nudity doesn't bother me.

Keesha, That's weird that the Flickr.com didn't come up! Sorry about that! No, Sculptures and paintings don't sell onEtsy so I got out of that! The last sculpture? a month ago,I guess, because I've been working on "cartoon sculptures" I designed but am not yet ready to show. Like you, I have more ideas than I can put into reality. Least we will never be bored, huh! Thanks for your interest.

Thanks guys! Oldman: It's one clump of clay and a toothpick! People just say, "Oh, I can't do that!" BUT YOU CAN! Just try. I really is a lot of fun!
Ruth n Jersey: Good for you! I loved to cook too but now I have no one to cook for except myself and I don't eat that much. So, Why even bother? It will be a month or so, before they are back from the foundry, but I can post them here after they are done. Oh, No, to copy art. Copying someone's art isn't really art in my opinion. These are out of my head. I have many more, but these are enough to post for now. Thanks again.
Do you have a website?

I'm only on Flickr.com. Type in "cherylgaerbarlow" and hit "people" on the dropdown. Keesha wasn't able to access it, but maybe you can. It shows most of (well, a lot of ) my artwork. Thanks,Liberty!
Will do. If you're ever in the Texas Hill Country/Gulf coast area...let me know. I've got great northern light and a separate place to paint, etc. Have a good friend that's a great watercolor artist. I was a commercial artist...yep, I know, nothing as boring as being a commercial artist...but hey, it paid the bills...tee hee. Love ya!

Thanks Liberty, My cousin was the art director of the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, WO and she is so burnt out on doing ANYTHING artistic now. Such a shame because she's wildly artistic! And my son is a professional graphic artist and Loves it! He has his own style and makes a good living at it. "Artist of design" on FB. I create but am unable to market anything. Why don't you share some of your artwork? Your own thread or this one! Love to see some of your work!

Oh, She's wonderful! I love her Abstract series and her Dancing Flowers series. See! She knows how to market her work. I would have no idea how to do that! But what about YOU? Your artwork?

Tasteful nudity is fine. Nothing obscene or disgusting in your creations! In my bathroom, I have a small David and two female nude sculptures that I picked up in Italy. One of my favorite sculptures is just a man's chest - really sensual, really not in my budget. (By the way, I want the man in 796.jpg - I was so sorry to learn that you didn't sculpt from live models!)

Oh, She's wonderful! I love her Abstract series and her Dancing Flowers series. See! She knows how to market her work. I would have no idea how to do that! But what about YOU? Your artwork?
Carolyn's main theme is "Angels", Gaer. Yes, she's marketing her work nicely and normally travels all over the country. She stays with me when she comes to this area. She's a fellow "Texan". I'll try to take some pics of my work around here and post it later. Have also done a lot of commercial graphics like catalog covers and line drawings. Thanks for asking!

Back