My First Cousin Passed Away Last Week

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
I got some sad news last Friday. My 1st cousin passed away on Thursday. I didn't meet him until 1999, sometime within a year after I met that part of my family. We bonded fairly quickly, both being Muslim and finding some other things in common. Last year he had fallen in the house, wasn't found for days until a friend had a welfare check done. The police broke in and found him up in his bedroom. After that he was hospitalized then sent to rehab. He was there for months but wound up going back for a short time. I had called his cell and the woman who looks out for him texted me from his phone and told me he had been readmitted to a facility and was due back home that day. I asked her to have him call me when he felt up to it. That was in January and he never got back to me. My middle grandson and I were talking about him a few days before I found out he passed...he said, keep trying him and we'll try to go see him. My cousin lived in another town and of course I wouldn't have headed out to see him without his okay.

My neighbor-friend upstairs is also his cousin. She called me to tell me but she wasn't sure it was true yet as of Friday early afternoon. I checked his FB page and someone had added a RIP comment. I should have called the masjid in town that he used to attend (until he got sick ) or my nephew-in-law, who attends the same masjid, sooner than I did. I hit my nephew up on FB Saturday and he messaged me back that my cousin's Janazah (funeral service) had already taken place that morning. I had been keeping him in prayer daily, even before he got sick. So now I just make a special Dua (prayer) for him, that Allah is pleased and permitted him into Jannah (paradise). He tended to be depressed and negative quite often (he had a terrible childhood and not much better adulthood), preferring to stay himself unless he was going to the masjid. But last time we talked, after all he'd been through with falling and the resulting weakness necessitating physical therapy for an extended time, he sounded more positive and hopeful than I'd ever heard him!

You have been experiencing a lot of loss lately, (((Diva))). I'm so sorry you must endure this, especially in such an avalanche.

I got some sad news last Friday. My 1st cousin passed away on Thursday. I didn't meet him until 1999, sometime within a year after I met that part of my family. We bonded fairly quickly, both being Muslim and finding some other things in common. Last year he had fallen in the house, wasn't found for days until a friend had a welfare check done. The police broke in and found him up in his bedroom. After that he was hospitalized then sent to rehab. He was there for months but wound up going back for a short time. I had called his cell and the woman who looks out for him texted me from his phone and told me he had been readmitted to a facility and was due back home that day. I asked her to have him call me when he felt up to it. That was in January and he never got back to me. My middle grandson and I were talking about him a few days before I found out he passed...he said, keep trying him and we'll try to go see him. My cousin lived in another town and of course I wouldn't have headed out to see him without his okay.

My neighbor-friend upstairs is also his cousin. She called me to tell me but she wasn't sure it was true yet as of Friday early afternoon. I checked his FB page and someone had added a RIP comment. I should have called the masjid in town that he used to attend (until he got sick ) or my nephew-in-law, who attends the same masjid, sooner than I did. I hit my nephew up on FB Saturday and he messaged me back that my cousin's Janazah (funeral service) had already taken place that morning. I had been keeping him in prayer daily, even before he got sick. So now I just make a special Dua (prayer) for him, that Allah is pleased and permitted him into Jannah (paradise). He tended to be depressed and negative quite often (he had a terrible childhood and not much better adulthood), preferring to stay himself unless he was going to the masjid. But last time we talked, after all he'd been through with falling and the resulting weakness necessitating physical therapy for an extended time, he sounded more positive and hopeful than I'd ever heard him!

very sorry for your loss. take care now.

Back