My flower garden

Just came in from the garden where I spent the morning from just after I first posted about 8:30. The bulbs and seeds have been planted, some weeds pulled. a mum transplanted from its garden center pot into a "real" one, and the lawn watered.

Glory be! There are tiny little green shoots of grass popping up. As my gramma would have said "You must have been holding your mouth right". It's supposed to start raining tomorrow and rain for the next few days so by this time next week, I'll be looking at what's really going to be a lawn. Yippee.

That's a disappointment. Those leaves are lovely , but those heavenly blue flowers are so beautiful! That specific type of morning glories, do usually take months to grow their stalks and vines and leaves first, before they begin to flower, but then, they are worth having waited for!

They don't mind some cold, and could flower through the autumn, but maybe not if you get too many cold nights, I don't remember exactly how much cold they can take.

But, perhaps your ground has too much natural nitrogen? Or is too rich? Those plants are wildflowers and don't do well if you give them lots of nice nutrients, even if it's in the forms of compost, etc.
Just thought I would share my ideas with you.
Morning glory is known to be incredibly invasive. They can overtake and choke out other plantings and are very hard to get rid of.

Depending on the type of grass seed you put down, it can take from 5 to 18 days to sprout. This I know as I've planted grass here. If I just go to Lowes & get standard grass seed mix it has oats in it. That will germinate in 5 days then the other grass will come later.

If I plant straight bluegrass then it takes full 18 days for it to show up.

When my wife & I use to have an in-ground garden. I got cattle fence panels. Put stakes in the rows of cucumbers, peas, anything that climbed. I would start up the fence panels & when the stuff came on no bending over. Just walk through the fence panels & pick your things. In winter I would put the fence panels & metal posts in the pole barn till the next year.

When my wife & I use to have an in-ground garden. I got cattle fence panels. Put stakes in the rows of cucumbers, peas, anything that climbed. I would start up the fence panels & when the stuff came on no bending over. Just walk through the fence panels & pick your things. In winter I would put the fence panels & metal posts in the pole barn till the next year.

I enjoyed reading what you wrote about what you and she used to do, Tom. Thanks for sharing that,. I can picture it, in my mind.

@Liberty
Loved those pictures, and your explanations!
I had no idea that banana trees could grow so heartily, in Texas!

Yippee! Almost all of the grass seed has sprouted, and I can tell that it's gonna be a lawn in just a few more days. The sun is supposed to come out Sunday to speed it along🌞 Then all I have to do is wait for a couple of weeks for it to be long enough and thick enough to mow.

It doesn't take a lot to please me:)

Oh, goody! There are two burning bush shrubs outside the back door that have finally started to "burn". Seems like it's happening later this year than in previous years. Once they start, it happens so quickly that there's hardly time to enjoy the bright red color, darn it. They will probably be bare already by the weekend.

The burning bushes are still in the midst of "burning" and might last another week. Camellia is in full bloom, knockout roses are still blooming, annnnd...the new lawn can probably be mowed in about a week. Life is good in the garden.

As a new lawn parent, I am happy to report that it has already been mowed once! This morning it was fertilized with a fertilizer for new grass and then well watered in.

The rest of the lawn has been treated with weed & feed and also well watered in.

So...we're supposed to get a drenching rain tonight. Mmhmm. Guess I don't need to worry about the fertilizers burning either the new or the old lawn.

Those burning bushes? One is flame red, the other started turning red, then decided to put itself on pause. Go figure.

One burning bush is still flame red, and the other is still on pause. In past years they've both been bare by now. Mother nature works in mysterious ways.

I went out bright and early to clean up what I started yesterday. It was still pretty cold out so I didn't last very long. In a few hours, I'll go back out and do more. If that doesn't wear me out, the lawn will get mowed. In summer, it needs to be mowed twice a week, sometimes more; in winter it only needs to be mowed once a week.

The lawn was invaded by dollarweed/pennywort this year. Grrrr. I may finally have gotten a handle on it because there's very little still left alive. After I mow, I'll spray again. One more time should do the trick.

ETA at 3pm: The mowing can wait until tomorrow. I'm bushed!

Last edited:

Back