My holiday weekend has started early. I threw my back out.

Good luck @PopsnTuff ... hope you get help ASAP!

For back spasms and locked up muscles I've had in the past, I always take a hot Epson Salt Bath first ... then reach for IcyHot Patches with some success, and sometimes Magnesium Gel w/MSM.
Thanks Bonnie for that good info....I hate baths and couldn't climb in and outta the tub anyways....but that magnesium gel w/msm sounds like a good option.....back in the day I worked for two health food stores and lottsa folks got good results from both those products sold separate.....dont remember there being a gel option either....definitely gonna look into it....

I might be getting shingles! Had my tele-health call with the doc for a good 20 minutes....almost got half naked on the screen showing her where my pain is....she suggested rotating ibuprofen with the tylenol, using the Icy Hot Patch with lidocaine by Salon Pas, since there is no prescription for this anymore, keeping a close eye on my back if a rash appears, then call her asap....Ive had the Shingrix shot for the elderly, with the booster about two years ago and its 90% effective against shingles outbreaks so how is it I might be getting this....

Secondly, if my pain continues for two more weeks, with no rash, I will need a back xray and maybe steroid treatment if one of the discs is ruptured....I will be very hesitant to go anywhere near the hospital, for sure.

My doctor always tells us to do that for pain, (rotate the paracetamol with ibuprofen ..or even take them at the same time , it's a standard reply for pain) ...but I absolutely hope she's wrong and you're not about to get shingles, that would be horrible... :(...but if you've had the shingles shot , you can still get it but it would be mild..(at least that's what I've been told) ..anyway , no harm in doing what she says and adding the icy hot patch to it, it just might work... hopefully it will..

@PopsnTuff I think that's one of the worst pain anyone could have, to do with a person's back, a lot of good suggestions, different things work for different people, i'm thinking physiotherapy may be an option...but... sadly, not with the no contact measure. Hope it's not shingles, that kind of pain is a whole category by itself. Don't let yourself get too worn down this pain, hopefully there's some kind of medical help out there for you. Take it easy.

I hope you feel better soon and definitely hope it isn't shingles. I swear by Epson salts also. If you can't get in the tub put a towel in a sink of hot water with Epson salts,wring out and apply. Put some type of plastic over the towel so you don't leak all over,sit and relax. It can't do any harm.
I also do what feels good. For me it is heat. Some people swear by cold. What ever you try only use for 20 minutes on and twenty minutes off.

@PopsnTuff I think that's one of the worst pain anyone could have, to do with a person's back, a lot of good suggestions, different things work for different people, i'm thinking physiotherapy may be an option...but... sadly, not with the no contact measure. Hope it's not shingles, that kind of pain is a whole category by itself. Don't let yourself get too worn down this pain, hopefully there's some kind of medical help out there for you. Take it easy.
Thanks @MickaC for your support and encouragement xo

I hope you feel better soon and definitely hope it isn't shingles. I swear by Epson salts also. If you can't get in the tub put a towel in a sink of hot water with Epson salts,wring out and apply. Put some type of plastic over the towel so you don't leak all over,sit and relax. It can't do any harm.
I also do what feels good. For me it is heat. Some people swear by cold. What ever you try only use for 20 minutes on and twenty minutes off.
Thanks @Ruth n Jersey....I've tried the ice pack cuz cold usually works better for me, but not this time....then was rotating with the heating pad, and nothing....but I'm defin gonna try the Epson salt technique as you explained above.....do those box of salts ever go bad or have an expiration date cuz I have some in the closet, like forever that I haven't used.....I'll try anything at this point in between all the otc pain killers I take 24/7.....not good, I know....

Thanks @Ruth n Jersey....I've tried the ice pack cuz cold usually works better for me, but not this time....then was rotating with the heating pad, and nothing....but I'm defin gonna try the Epson salt technique as you explained above.....do those box of salts ever go bad or have an expiration date cuz I have some in the closet, like forever that I haven't used.....I'll try anything at this point in between all the otc pain killers I take 24/7.....not good, I know....
I don't know if the box has an expiration date,mine is so old I put it in a plastic container so it wouldn't get hard. I've held onto it for years and it really didn't matter. I've has some around so long that it did harden and it still was very soothing when I used it. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. I wish you the best and hope it works.

If you can buy, rent, borrow, steal, come here, Get a TENS machine... they helped us BIG time after the car accident, and I had a buddy, who could NOT stand up straight because of his back, was walking around bent at the hips... 2 hours with the TENS machine every few hours, next day, he had NO pain... Very much worth looking into buying one... Good for the entire body...

1.jpg 2.jpg

Tens machines don't work for everyone... My local hospital leant me a Tens machine when I first put my back out years ago..it did nothing,.... it works for some people, but it just never worked for me

Keeping my fingers crossed that your pain is starting to ease now Pops..

Tens machines don't work for everyone... My local hospital leant me a Tens machine when I first put my back out years ago..it did nothing,.... it works for some people, but it just never worked for me

Keeping my fingers crossed that your pain is starting to ease now Pops..
You're so right Holly.....some things work and some don't and over the last few days the pain has been easing....maybe all the get well wishes are working! I need a new body!

I might be getting shingles! Had my tele-health call with the doc for a good 20 minutes....almost got half naked on the screen showing her where my pain is....she suggested rotating ibuprofen with the tylenol, using the Icy Hot Patch with lidocaine by Salon Pas, since there is no prescription for this anymore, keeping a close eye on my back if a rash appears, then call her asap....Ive had the Shingrix shot for the elderly, with the booster about two years ago and its 90% effective against shingles outbreaks so how is it I might be getting this....

Secondly, if my pain continues for two more weeks, with no rash, I will need a back xray and maybe steroid treatment if one of the discs is ruptured....I will be very hesitant to go anywhere near the hospital, for sure.
So sorry, popsntuff...I've had a bout of shingles....I had it on my face....I do now get the Shingle shot....

Back