This is bad, it is a pity that there is no real magic in the world,
that will change all guns into flowers, or trees, or just anything
that can't be used to kill others!

My condolences to all involved, either relatives or friends of the
dead, or just ordinary citizens of Buffalo, who can't believe that
it happened there.

Mike.

so sorry for your community.

what is the problem with the 'us' humans who cant seem to exist without guns. i think its sick.
what makes our people so enamored with weapons. is it guilt?

is it tv and movies which are nothing but shooting violence and killing of others as tho life, and death,
is all some movie fantasy. add to that the dark corners of this machine thingy im typing on and
the imagination becomes out of control for so many of our humans.

we numba one in guns and weapons and killings.
oh how the mighty have tripped and fallen over on themselves. smh.

This caught my eye too. He was evaluated AND sent for counseling so that tells me there was 'something' there. Maybe it had something to do with him graduating or not at the school anymore.

I can see not wanting to label or pigeon hole a young a person that could affect them the rest of their lives but there are those who are really troubled. Since his parents were engineers and he seemed academically smart himself he probably figured out or was told how to fool the counselors. It also could also be another indicator of the amount of threats they handle which don't lead to anything.

After threatening the school the parents are the ones that should've banned him from owning guns under their roof. Also wonder since the parents worked for the state they pulled strings or they were pulled for them even in the threat case.
You brought up some really good points. Background checks for gun-buyers need to be way more thorough. ALL sessions with a psychologist or counselor for behavioral problems needs to be in a database with a detailed summery.

But I thought the Sandy Hook shooter didn't purchase the firearms he used.

You brought up some really good points. Background checks for gun-buyers need to be way more thorough. ALL sessions with a psychologist or counselor for behavioral problems needs to be in a database with a detailed summery.

But I thought the Sandy Hook shooter didn't purchase the firearms he used.
I'm still trying to figure out what age he was when he made the school shooting threat. If it was around graduation time he could've been 18 which means juvenile protections and treatment are gone.

The biggest failure I see here were the parents who allowed him to have guns in their house after the school threat. They should've locked them up for a period or told him rent storage or gun locker at a club/range etc. If he was forced to pay for other things that's less money for his plot.

I think there are enough laws to me it's more follow up on threats in particular. Wether it's a domestic dispute, high schools, gang there needs to be more follow up over 6 month to year period. I think when he threatened the school shooting he was done the process in 3 months or so. There should've been more follow up interviews or counseling sessions.

Also is a counselor a medical professional with the authority/ability to declare someone dangerous. (Sidenote I heard this is how a lot of drunk drivers get off. They're sent to these 'programs' but they're not rehab. I was told this how undocumented addicts and alcoholics on their first offense escape rehab unless they volunteer because they can't be treated as an alcoholic or addict in some states)

Yes, there are way too many white supremacist theories out there, and too many people that believe them, this is a poison that divides our country.
I agree. I would not say the problem is "mental illness" as mentioned in other posts but one of "mentally influenced." When powerful people spout conspiracy theories, they are believed. Hate mongering promotes paranoia (a mental illness) - and this is the horrific outcome.

I have an update:
The 18yr old suspect appeared in Buffalo City Court this morning,he's charged with 1st degree murder,grand jury has indicted him,due back in court June 9th A few victim's family members were in courtroom,one called him a'coward' as he walked out
If any of you watch CNN,listen to what Wolf Blitzer has to say ,he was born&raised in Buffalo, he knows what he's talking about. I can't say that about any other journalist/reporter If the late Tim Russert moderator of'Meet The Press' were still alive he would be so upset&angry what happened here Sue

These incidents do tend to hit us harder when we have a connection to location. Thing is thanks to internet we hear about more of them even if we tend to avoid traditional news shows. Also thanks to the internet we often know someone who has a personal connection to location of the incident. Remember the NYC subway shooting this past in April this year? A long time cyberfriend has relatives that live in an area served by that very train. When visiting them she often takes it herself. We can imagine her and your emotions, @moviequeen1 and sympathize.

My heart goes out to all who lost a loved one in this incident. A long time 3D world friend of mine whom i communicate with via FB was one of many who've been posting tributes to the victims. This friend has always been a gentle, loving, idealistic soul. She was a beloved cousin of my now deceased best friend in High School and this last chapter of my life. She actually one a spot in Ballanchine's Ballet troop. Then quit to join VISTA while i was in training for it. In a discussion on the thread she posted about the Buffalo incident.

She wondered if maybe we all make more of a fuss about the victims, both deceased and survivors of such incident than we do about the perpetrators perhaps it would diminish the '15 minutes of fame' motive? It might with some of the shooters, but this guy had sociopolitical motive and i suspect we will see more of these in years to come. šŸ˜­šŸ˜¤šŸ˜­

I'm still trying to figure out what age he was when he made the school shooting threat. If it was around graduation time he could've been 18 which means juvenile protections and treatment are gone.

The biggest failure I see here were the parents who allowed him to have guns in their house after the school threat. They should've locked them up for a period or told him rent storage or gun locker at a club/range etc. If he was forced to pay for other things that's less money for his plot.

I think there are enough laws to me it's more follow up on threats in particular. Wether it's a domestic dispute, high schools, gang there needs to be more follow up over 6 month to year period. I think when he threatened the school shooting he was done the process in 3 months or so. There should've been more follow up interviews or counseling sessions.

Also is a counselor a medical professional with the authority/ability to declare someone dangerous. (Sidenote I heard this is how a lot of drunk drivers get off. They're sent to these 'programs' but they're not rehab. I was told this how undocumented addicts and alcoholics on their first offense escape rehab unless they volunteer because they can't be treated as an alcoholic or addict in some states)
The US's mental health system is extremely flawed. Tragically, it ranks pretty well globally. We have severely far fewer PhDs in mental health/psychology than we had in the 50s to 80s, and a person can become a school counselor, rehab counselor, and psych hospital attendant after just a few months of training, so no, they don't have the authority or ability to declare someone dangerous except as a concerned citizen.

We have GOT to entice people to become professional psychologists/psychiatrist, require insurances to cover psych treatment, and most of all, de-stigmatize mental ill-health.

I was at my local Tops today (in Batavia, just East of Buffalo). Did some shopping, left a donation and stopped and gave condolences to the manager of OUR store. Turns out the Buffalo store was the first he worked at...in fact he opened it (one of the first group of employees) You can tell he was distraught and not just as a Tops employee, but one who worked at that one.
The flag at our store, as well as others around town were at half staff

After all these mass shootings, apparently, there's still no system in place to enter at-risk people into a national or even statewide database so metaphorical flashing lights and sirens could be triggered as soon as they try to purchase a firearm. There have been warning signs for several mass shootings in the past few years, yet they just go under the radar. Evidently, it's not a high priority with law enforcement.

Back