My hometown is in mourning/shock

moviequeen1

My hometown,Buffalo,NY is in mourning/shock/disbelief after the God awful tragedy which happened yesterday afternoon at Tops Supermarket Grocery Store on Jefferson Ave. Its located on the east side of the city mostly African-American community 13 people were shot ,10 were killed ,3 victims were taken to Erie County Medical Center,1 person was released the other two are in stable condtion The security guard on duty at the store, who shot at the suspect, Aaron Stabler, age 55 recently retired as Buffalo policeman,another victim was 86yr old mother of retired Buffalo Fire Commissoner
The suspect is 18yr old Peyton Gendron drove 200 miles from his home in Binghamton,NY who purposely chose this area because of the high African-American population- 35% .He was arrested at the store,taken into custody charged with 1st degree murder. The FBI& local officals have said this is a hate crime/racially motivated
You never think when you read/hear of another mass shooting ,it couldn't happen in your area,sadly Buffalo is now on the ever growing list of these shootings. My brother called me last night asking how I was'my answer 'rattled' still am
I pray for the victims,& their familes,the people who regularly go to the store can no longer do so because its a crime scene
Its just a very sad time now, I ask you keep victims/their familes in your prayers Sue

There is nothing wrong with our gun laws or the guns themselves. They [guns] were instrumental in establishing this country. The problem is with the people that use them in a criminal manner, and with our legal system and how it deals with them.

Last edited:
My sincerest condolences to those who lost loved ones, to the entire Buffalo, NY area, and to you personally, Sue.

I despair over the gun violence in this country. If the Sandy Hook shooting (now ten years ago) that took twenty little children's lives plus six adult staff members couldn't move the hearts and minds of the pro-gun community, it's hard to imagine what will.

too sad for words. I think that most of these shooters are profoundly mentally ill.

We have to find some way to keep weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill.

We put a man on the moon. We can find a way to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, without infringing on the gun rights of others.

Been hearing about this all morning and so sad for all the losses. It is a shame that we cannot even go to the store anymore without worrying about being shot.
Wasn't there a shooting in Colorado over the last year or two in a supermarket. Mass killers/shooters are cowards dealing with anger so a soft target like a store is right up their alley.

Nothing will undo their heinous acts but it would've been nice to take himself out or did suicide by cop but that shows what a pos coward he was.

RIP victims and condolences to family and friends of those affected

Peace

Gendron has been investigated by law enforcement before.

In June 2021, police in Broome County were called by officials of a local high school who told them Gendron had threatened violence in comments made to fellow students.

“A school official reported that this very troubled young man had made statements indicating that he wanted to do a shooting, either at a graduation ceremony, or sometime after,” the same government official familiar with the case told The News.

State Police were sent to investigate and Gendron, under a section of state mental health laws, was referred for a mental health evaluation and counseling, the official said.
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/...afe308f9c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

... yet he was still able to obtain an AR-15 style rifle, probably purchased legally.

Wasn't there a shooting in Colorado over the last year or two in a supermarket. Mass killers/shooters are cowards dealing with anger so a soft target like a store is right up their alley.

Nothing will undo their heinous acts but it would've been nice to take himself out or did suicide by cop but that shows what a pos coward he was.

RIP victims and condolences to family and friends of those affected

Peace

Yeah, I think a lot of these incidents are "suicide by cop" events...deeply mentally ill people who somehow can't draw up the will to take their own lives and somehow decide to murder people, so that the police will kill them.

I have no idea why they would engage thinking like that...but, I guess that is the thing, their thinking has become very very deluded.

whatever is going on...horrible and sad...

Gendron has been investigated by law enforcement before.

In June 2021, police in Broome County were called by officials of a local high school who told them Gendron had threatened violence in comments made to fellow students.

“A school official reported that this very troubled young man had made statements indicating that he wanted to do a shooting, either at a graduation ceremony, or sometime after,” the same government official familiar with the case told The News.

State Police were sent to investigate and Gendron, under a section of state mental health laws, was referred for a mental health evaluation and counseling, the official said.
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/...afe308f9c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

... yet he was still able to obtain an AR-15 style rifle, probably purchased legally.
This caught my eye too. He was evaluated AND sent for counseling so that tells me there was 'something' there. Maybe it had something to do with him graduating or not at the school anymore.

I can see not wanting to label or pigeon hole a young a person that could affect them the rest of their lives but there are those who are really troubled. Since his parents were engineers and he seemed academically smart himself he probably figured out or was told how to fool the counselors. It also could also be another indicator of the amount of threats they handle which don't lead to anything.

After threatening the school the parents are the ones that should've banned him from owning guns under their roof. Also wonder since the parents worked for the state they pulled strings or they were pulled for them even in the threat case.

This caught my eye too. He was evaluated AND sent for counseling so that tells me there was 'something' there. Maybe it had something to do with him graduating or not at the school anymore.

I can see not wanting to label or pigeon hole a young a person that could affect them the rest of their lives but there are those who are really troubled. Since his parents were engineers and he seemed academically smart himself he probably figured out or was told how to fool the counselors. It also could also be another indicator of the amount of threats they handle which don't lead to anything.

After threatening the school the parents are the ones that should've banned him from owning guns under their roof. Also wonder since the parents worked for the state they pulled strings or they were pulled for them even in the threat case.

just tragic, just completely tragic.

I had endless little jobs in my life, to pick up money. One was working as a tutor.

One of the kids I tutored was 15, had already been convicted of manslaughter. He had that "one punch homicide." Got into a fight with another kid, on a metal staircase, punched the kid...the kid landed right on the edge of a metal stair...and that was it.

The parents of the kid were a doctor and I think the Dad was an engineer.

I can't begin to tell you how clueless these professional parents were, about the state of their own child.

The mother still thought this kid was going to go to Harvard and become a doctor. The father just wanted him to reach 18, so he could kick him out of the house.

I guess that parental love really blinds them to the reality of what is going on.

My counseling to the kid was simple. You don't have to get straight A's. Just get some C's, graduate high school, and get your car mechanic's license. You will have a decent life. You don't have to become a doctor, like your mom wants...or surrender to becoming a complete loser.

I don't know if I am expressing this well. Just the obvious, simple common sense solutions to this kid's problems? The parents just simply could not see it.

I guess that is part of the problem, the parents just don't know how to truly assess mental health issues.

The shooter was influenced by Great Replacement theory...

In one section of the manifesto, Gendron detailed his step-by-step plans for the day of the shooting. He also wrote about the corned beef hash he would eat for breakfast. He planned how he would drive to the supermarket, wear his body armor and carry his gun. He also wrote about live streaming the attack. Reportedly, the Buffalo massacre is the latest in a wave of mass shootings that were inspired by the Great Replacement theory -- a racist theory popular among white supremacists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Replacement#United_States

just tragic, just completely tragic.

I had endless little jobs in my life, to pick up money. One was working as a tutor.

One of the kids I tutored was 15, had already been convicted of manslaughter. He had that "one punch homicide." Got into a fight with another kid, on a metal staircase, punched the kid...the kid landed right on the edge of a metal stair...and that was it.

The parents of the kid were a doctor and I think the Dad was an engineer.

I can't begin to tell you how clueless these professional parents were, about the state of their own child.

The mother still thought this kid was going to go to Harvard and become a doctor. The father just wanted him to reach 18, so he could kick him out of the house.

I guess that parental love really blinds them to the reality of what is going on.

My counseling to the kid was simple. You don't have to get straight A's. Just get some C's, graduate high school, and get your car mechanic's license. You will have a decent life. You don't have to become a doctor, like your mom wants...or surrender to becoming a complete loser.

I don't know if I am expressing this well. Just the obvious, simple common sense solutions to this kid's problems? The parents just simply could not see it.

I guess that is part of the problem, the parents just don't know how to truly assess mental health issues.
That's a good way to put it. I think those issues are part of what's wrong today. Too much emphasis is put on success, career etc with too many either trying to appease their parents or they wind up totally ignoring them.

Emphasis needs to be put on taking care of one's self ie the basics which should include shop, cooking and basic economic/financial classes etc along college major or trade courses.

What I see with the current generation of young people is not only do they lack coping skills but they get upset or rattled when people don't agree with them, not because someone actually did something to them. If one doesn't think like them they become a target figuratively and literally.

Last edited:
The shooter was influenced by Great Replacement theory...

In one section of the manifesto, Gendron detailed his step-by-step plans for the day of the shooting. He also wrote about the corned beef hash he would eat for breakfast. He planned how he would drive to the supermarket, wear his body armor and carry his gun. He also wrote about live streaming the attack. Reportedly, the Buffalo massacre is the latest in a wave of mass shootings that were inspired by the Great Replacement theory -- a racist theory popular among white supremacists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Replacement#United_States
Yes, there are way too many white supremacist theories out there, and too many people that believe them, this is a poison that divides our country.

Last edited:
At my church this morning,Westminster Presbyterian,our minister,Rev Todd Leach announced there will be an interfaith prayer service at 5pm has invited 10 local clergy people as well .At Todd's previous church in Pittsburgh,it was close to the Jewish temple that was attacked by gunman,he knows first hand what something like this does to a community In part of his sermon this morning,Todd's voice was breaking as he quoted lyrics to Beatle's song 'All You Need is Love'
I'll be at the interfaith service, hoping this will bring some comfort/healing to those who have lost loved ones,as we come together as a community

My hometown,Buffalo,NY is in mourning/shock/disbelief after the God awful tragedy which happened yesterday afternoon at Tops Supermarket Grocery Store on Jefferson Ave. Its located on the east side of the city mostly African-American community 13 people were shot ,10 were killed ,3 victims were taken to Erie County Medical Center,1 person was released the other two are in stable condtion The security guard on duty at the store, who shot at the suspect, Aaron Stabler, age 55 recently retired as Buffalo policeman,another victim was 86yr old mother of retired Buffalo Fire Commissoner
The suspect is 18yr old Peyton Gendron drove 200 miles from his home in Binghamton,NY who purposely chose this area because of the high African-American population- 35% .He was arrested at the store,taken into custody charged with 1st degree murder. The FBI& local officals have said this is a hate crime/racially motivated
You never think when you read/hear of another mass shooting ,it couldn't happen in your area,sadly Buffalo is now on the ever growing list of these shootings. My brother called me last night asking how I was'my answer 'rattled' still am
I pray for the victims,& their familes,the people who regularly go to the store can no longer do so because its a crime scene
Its just a very sad time now, I ask you keep victims/their familes in your prayers Sue
Sue,
I am so very sorry that these things keep happening over and over again. The victims and their families have my prayers.

This was a terrible event. I feel for the families that lost loved ones. The world is sure full of surprises.

I have heard all of this, more or less, before. If you ask me, there are many things wrong with our society. I will just suggest a few and you can pick out the one you like or don't like: too many immigrants, too large cities, over-population, too many guns, too much striving for the "American Dream", too much human rights without human responsibility, poor education, too much wealth in too few hands, the poor feeling totally helpless, too much stress, too much technology, a feeling of losing control of our lives. As the world population increases, these kind of acts of violence will just increase.

Yesterday afternoon,I attended my church's interfaith prayer service at 5pm,it lasted 1hr 15 min. A few clergy people invited could not attend, they were at other services. We had leaders from Protestant, Sikh, Muslim communities. I'd say there were 150-200 people in our sanctuary
Towards the end of the service we had a surprise guest, NYS Atty General Letita James who had been in the city all day, visitng/talking to families of lost ones,telling us what it was like.I notice many were wiping away tears{inc me} when she was done, we gave her a standing ovation
The TOPS org is now providing free shuttle service every day from 10-7pm to the residents on Jefferson Ave to shop at another Tops location 4 miles away until their store is reopened
I want to thankyou all for your thoughts/prayers for our city, appreciate it Sue

Back