My laptop, Win 10, wouldn't boot up this morning

Paco Dennis

SF VIP
I think my laptop's hard drive just went bad. It gives me a message that it can't find an operating system. I have seen this many times in the past ( we refurbished computers for years ) so it is bed ridden and it needs to go to the computer hospital. I am using an old desktop with Win 7. Maybe I will use this until it dies. I will take the laptop to get an estimate and then decide what to do. I will get another laptop if I need to. I hope to spend about $2500 if possible. Probably have to get a used/refurbished one.

You have another way to get on the net to write this Paco Dennis,
ask Google or whichever you use about how to open the laptop
in Safe mode, if you can get in try it from there how to fix it.

Or go to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Join the forum, it is free and get some technical help from experts,
They are very good, or at least they used to be and I have had help
from there over the years.

Mike.

You have another way to get on the net to write this Paco Dennis,
ask Google or whichever you use about how to open the laptop
in Safe mode, if you can get in try it from there how to fix it.

Or go to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Join the forum, it is free and get some technical help from experts,
They are very good, or at least they used to be and I have had help
from there over the years.

Mike.
F8 doesn't work. I am going to drop it off at the store I bought it. They do good work, and will give me a reasonable estimate. I am not up to trying to troubleshoot and fix it. Sometimes getting these things working again can drive a person nuts! :)

Replace the HD with an SSD and increase the RAM. Doing so will increase the speed of the computer (probably double or triple the speed). Then install Linux.

That's what I did with the laptop I'm typing on right now. It's at least 12 years old, yet it's plenty fast enough with the upgrade, which cost maybe $75.

Back