My Life and Other Animals

Thanks Jackie, things are so different now, I am fortunate to have pleasant memories of the past. I don't know how the present generation will remember their younger years. If it doesn't have a microchip, what is there to remember :-(

I too liked your stories. Especially opening the backdoor to let the old year out and opening the front door to let the new year in! We will have to try that tomorrow at midnight! I also got a chuckle at the dog with two sets of teeth! HAHA!:)

A very Sloe Gin

In the weeks before Christmas, I collected sloes, with the intention of making Sloe Gin. I have no idea why I wanted to make it, it was just one of those things you did when foraging autumn fruits. In this case the fruits were not of the best so the resultant sloe gin was not quite up to standard. I also was given a recipe for Sloe Port which I thought interesting and years ago, when we had a Christmas tree, we would put on a CD of Christmas carols and pour a glass of port and somehow decorating the tree came easier.

My sloes were still in the gin, and wouldn't be available for anything else until Christmas, however I was given sloes which had been the remains of sloe whisky so I wondered if I used them, I could add some gin to them to make up with what was lacking in them. So using the whisky sloes, adding a little gin, then red wine, I let it mature until just before Christmas, made a sugar syrup and added that, plus the recommended quantity of brandy. I took a sip or two but decided it was just a bit too potent for my liking. I have no idea what name I could give to the concoction, I was told it was very nice but it wasn't sloe port. I just hope nobody wants another bottle because I don't think I could remember exactly how I made it.

Last edited:
...sounds like fast gin to me! :) New to me...a sloe is like a ...plum or prune??
:D Sloes are small bitter fruits of the blackthorn, a bit like damsons but smaller. Sloe gin is a liqueur so it depends how you get affected by alcohol, only fast gin if you're likely to run round the block a couple of times. Sloe gin if you put your feet up and nod off to sleep. :sleeping:
sloe.JPG

Cooking is becoming a chore for both of us. Truth is I haven't cooked for thirty years. I started cooking about the time i quit smoking. I gained 30 pounds when I quit smoking. When I started to cook, I sampled everything and got on a making bread kick. I gained another 20 pounds. To show off my culinary skills, I had a piece of toast for dinner with a light spread of honey on it.

It really surprises me to hear about people who don't cook. I used to care for an old lady who lived in sheltered accommodation and whilst, from time to time, used ready meals, she often did some cooking for herself, perhaps with a bit of help due to her failing eyesight, but simple things like making soup, I would help her clean the vegetables and she did the rest. She found an easy way by cooking chunks of veg. then using a potato masher to break them up when cooked solved the problem of either cutting them up small or grating them raw. I wouldn't give up cooking out of choice, home made meals are far tastier and have less chemicals in them.

Using a potato masher on large chunks of cooked vegetables doesn't sound too appetizing to me. What about frozen veggies?
food-drink-cooks-mashed_potatoes-mashers-potato-cooking-45430258_low.jpg

Back