My move is getting more real every day

Marie5656
When we moved here after 34 years in our old house I sat on the sofa and cried for a week. I was soooo out of my comfort zone! What a wimp eh? After a couple of weeks I got to know people and now wouldn't live anywhere else. It's frightening moving after years in the same place. A bit like uprooting an old oak tree, but by gum was it worth it. I've had a new lease of life and, having no grandchildren of our own, we've been adopted by a young family!

@Dolly I can relate. I am sure there will be some separation anxiety. I have always been a bit of a loner. But this isolation has taught me I need and WANT to be around people more. Socialization is so important. And the office of the aging in my new area has several activities for seniors as well. I am sure activities are different now, but once things open up more I am there.

Just heard from apartment mgr. Yesterday. They have a place ready for me. I have to go next week to give them more paperwork and I will get my move in date. Probably Nov. 1st.

I appreciate all of your kind words. As for strength? I do not know. Right now I am scared 💩less. What I am not doing is second guessing myself. I know it is the right direction for me. But I have been here almost 30 years. Wow.

@Dolly thanks
Good for you for not second guessing yourself! It's so important to follow your heart and instincts in situations like this. 2 years ago I sold my home of 20 years (the mortgage had become a big burden on retirement income). I needed the money from it before I could buy something else. The house sold in 12 days and I found myself scrambling to find a temporary place to live that would allow me to keep my 4 dogs, while I searched for a new home. I was about to buy a used motor home and just live on the road for a while, but a kind older couple who lived 70 miles away and who loved dogs understood my plight and accepted me as a roommate. Even still, I felt like a ship adrift with the tide. It was a difficult few months of my life, but I knew in my heart that I would find my new home sooner than later, and I did. I'm now mortgage free and am so grateful and blessed!

Been going through a lot of stuff to get rid of when dumpster comes next week. Piling it up in a corner of my living room . My husband was really into electronics and stuff. DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment. A lot of which I already got rid of. Most of what is left are cords, HDMI cables, remotes, and did I mention cords and cables?
Granted, I am weeding out a lot of my own stuff, but really. My feeling is, if I do not know what it is or what it is used for, it goes. what a project.

IMG_20200822_194859.jpg

Been going through a lot of stuff to get rid of when dumpster comes next week. Piling it up in a corner of my living room . My husband was really into electronics and stuff. DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment. A lot of which I already got rid of. Most of what is left are cords, HDMI cables, remotes, and did I mention cords and cables?
Granted, I am weeding out a lot of my own stuff, but really. My feeling is, if I do not know what it is or what it is used for, it goes. what a project.

View attachment 119279
Purging to move is a hideously daunting project! But the upside is, I think I've finally learned not to be such a packrat 🙄. Better late than never I guess 😒.

View attachment 119279
Good for you Maria. It’s a lot of work but you are going to be so much better off. I’m doing the same with our house. Purging! That’s a great name for it.
Im excited for you.

Settle on a dollar amount that works for you $5.00, $10.00, $20.00, etc...

If a useful item that you might need someday can be purchased for that amount or less then donate it or pitch it and replace it if and when the day comes that you actually need it.

Also, try to be ruthless when paring down the kitchen items. We are at a point in life when the microwave is more valuable to us than most of the pots, pans, small appliances, and gadgets that we've accumulated over the last half-century.

It's time to let the stuff go and learn to travel light.

1598186495015.jpeg

View attachment 119279
I have a whole large box full of cords, tried to give them to my son, nope he said. “I have my own box.” 😂. I think they multiply when we are not looking.

Settle on a dollar amount that works for you $5.00, $10.00, $20.00, etc...

If a useful item that you might need someday can be purchased for that amount or less then donate it or pitch it and replace it if and when the day comes that you actually need it.

Also, try to be ruthless when paring down the kitchen items. We are at a point in life when the microwave is more valuable to us than most of the pots, pans, small appliances, and gadgets that we've accumulated over the last half-century.

It's time to let the stuff go and learn to travel light.

View attachment 119333
Yup, when daughter moved to a larger house we gave her a lot. When we moved to the apartment we really paired down on kitchen stuff because there was no room. Then, when we bought the new house, I paired it down more. We really dont cook so I don’t need so many pots. Fry pans mostly 😂.

@Dolly, isn't that the truth. I found stuff I had not seen in years. Well, cleared out a lot yesterday. And then my niece, Julie, and my cousin Kevin stayed and helped me give the place a good cleaning. It needed it. Seems very empty now. But more space is good for me...nothing to trip over. I tend to fall a time or two,
I have more stuff I will need to unload before I move, but what I have left is stuff I need to have here before I go. I did not realize just how many books I have until I saw them all in one place. YIKES

So, I officially have a move in date. October 14th. Very close. All my references checked...medical, financial and Mobile home park Manager. So, I am in. The apartment I am getting is vacant now, but they need time to give it a paint job, and otherwise clean. Shampoo rugs and all.
When the time comes, I will be going radio silent for several days, will let you know then

So, I officially have a move in date. October 14th. Very close. All my references checked...medical, financial and Mobile home park Manager. So, I am in. The apartment I am getting is vacant now, but they need time to give it a paint job, and otherwise clean. Shampoo rugs and all.
When the time comes, I will be going radio silent for several days, will let you know then
Marie that's great news I'm excited for you!

It will be good to get moved and settled before the cold weather, holidays, etc...

On Friday I will be going furniture shopping. New bed and nightstand, chair (one of those motorized lift chairs), and either a love seat or a couple day chairs. Julie and Michelle went to a local furniture store to look for furniture for their place.
The asked about what I am looking for and some stuff is in stock now. Somethings have a several week waiting list. Supply chain slow downs. Luckily I can get the bed and lift chair right away. I have a dresser I am briging, and a couple tables.
So it may take me a bit longer to get everything I need to furnish the place.

On Friday I will be going furniture shopping. New bed and nightstand, chair (one of those motorized lift chairs), and either a love seat or a couple day chairs. Julie and Michelle went to a local furniture store to look for furniture for their place.
The asked about what I am looking for and some stuff is in stock now. Somethings have a several week waiting list. Supply chain slow downs. Luckily I can get the bed and lift chair right away. I have a dresser I am briging, and a couple tables.
So it may take me a bit longer to get everything I need to furnish the place.
Although I ended up buying a sofa, for the bed in it when the kids visit, I prefer individual chairs. For us oldies, chairs are easier to get out of and more comfortable IMO.

Back