My new dog

It’s because my skin is so thin on my hands and so fragile if her canine touches me, it goes right through and rips.

I understand about onion skin from taking care of my father.

Lemon worked on her leash,, but lemon would dry out your skin.
I considered that, using lemon, but I read up on lemon on the skin and it is very bad for skin. I will have to use gloves. The ones I have now are cowhide for dealing with my roses and a bit big. I ordered bicycle gloves which hopefully protect the back of my hands while leaving my fingers free. She is fine in taking treats. It’s just leashing her or playing with her.

But I’ve seen her mouth other people and they are fine so it’s my skin.

Wonder if there are any skin care products that are lemon scented?
Unfortunately Bella has decided she is used to the lemon taste and when not pulling on her leash, she licks it.🤦🏻‍♀️ I have, by now, read a million google threads on how to get your corgi to stop biting. None of which seems to work with Bella.

But she does think that mouthing my hand is a game and isn’t doing it aggressively, thank heaven. I don’t know if she is still food aggressive as I am just trying to get her to stop biting so I can pet her.

I now wear my gloves since I don’t know when she will decide to mouth and this medicine, for the infection, is making me so sick. One pill, that I take three times a day, I told my doctor I would no longer take because I am just to sick. She said, well, take it once or twice a day at least. K, once a day.

I am working on nothing else but less biting. After I finish the medication, and feel better, we will resume training. She will get behind in class but it doesn’t matter. Class is more for socializing than training as she will go to board and train.

Her sit is solid. She fetches like a champion, although not fetching now. I read a LOT of information from other corgi owners which say they can’t get their pups to stop biting. Such a challenge.

Only tip I have that always worked for my pups is pocketing a small rawhide bone, when they go to bite on me, I nip it in the bud immediately and say firmly, 'No....you bite on this!', when they walk away from it, I pocket for the next lesson. Good luck Aneeda, takes a lot patience to train a furbaby. 🤎

Bella got on my last nerve today. I noticed my husband had put the new collar on too tight, taking it off was not much of a struggle as she bitting my glove on one hand; I unlocked her collar with the other hand.

I loosened the collar and oh good god what a struggle. She wiggled and wiggled, rolled and rolled, bit at me and bit at me, and jumped, and had a fit, and struggled, until as she was laying there, on top of the crate, I wanted to, yes, teach her the meaning of a newspaper on a butt. Old school.

As, she once again jumped up and tried to jump down, I gently swatted her butt with my hand because I didn’t want to hurt my hand, or her I suppose. So frustrated. Then I scooped her up, keeping her mouth away from my face which didn’t have a glove on it, and put her into her crate with, horrors of horrors, no treat. BAD Bella BAD!! Bella 1. Mom 0.

Waited 15 minutes or so, got her out of her crate, put her on top of it, SIT Bella, Yes mom. She sat quietly while I put her collar on. I should have swatted her sooner. I would say it was a tie.🤣

I got my pup back in the day to stop biting when I would swat him with just a piece of newspaper. One sheet, not rolled up, but making a lot of noise when I swatted him on the nose with it. He stopped biting in no time.
It may not be advised today, but I must admit to having used this method with our first puppy, long ago. It did work, and didn't make him hand-shy. I know that many training practices back then, aren't used now.

As long as you do not hurt the dog there is no harm in disciplining him/her. Use a firm voice to let them know you are the boss and mean business. I am like that and I am kind to the dog as well. I make no bones in letting that animal know it is loved unconditionally.

Many years ago I had a puppy who refused to get housebroken. He would go outside and despite high praise and treats would also go inside. One night, I was watching TV and decided to let him out of the crate and sit with me on the couch. He promptly crawled up the arm of the couch, got on my head and peed on my head. I was REALLY mad and not just "pretend mad". I did not hit him but boy did I yell and he knew I meant business. Later I took him outside and I really praised him when he peed. He was housebroken after that.

Thanks for the replies. I am about done being nice over this biting crap. I’ve tried everything the experts have said, and she still feels it’s ok to bite Especially over putting the leash on. So, a little old school discipline won’t hurt her.

But if she pees on my head, well, that’s a deal breaker @Jeweltea, I’m killing her. 🤣🤣🤣

I am about done being nice over this biting crap. I’ve tried everything the experts have said, and she still feels it’s ok to bite Especially over putting the leash on. So, a little old school discipline won’t hurt her.
I agree. Yes, I have cats but I deal with biting, etc. behavior INSTANTLY. I don't wait for the kitten to become the cat before s/he finds out NO, no biting! Or, No, you won't hide where I can't reach you (I block the space right away.)

Of course, with cats, there is never any "bathroom" problem, unless it's a heath thing.

No, no biting, don't let her bite another minute! You don't bite her, so don't let her bite you! Good luck.

@MickaC I didn’t think you were picking on her looks, I agree with you. I think you have misunderstood what I said. I have never owned any other dogs except labs, poodles, and one Aussie poodle mix. I know nothing about corgis and heelers except what I’ve read.

I love Bellas coat. The poodle coat, everything sticks to it, the heeler coat everything runs off. She can be out in the rain and it’s like water off a ducks back. She plays for a couple of hours in the snow and is not covered in ice and snow. It’s great.

It snowed all night so we have quite a bit now. I put Bella out and she digs all her toys out of the snow. Then she tries to pick up her ball and take it into the dog house. 😂. The ball is covered in ice and while she can get hold of it, it slips out of her mouth. While I watched she was never able to get it onto the dog house.

Next time I checked on her, she was in the dog house with her face stuck out, watching the snow come down. I need to get a bed to put in the house next SSI check since my stimulus seems to be delayed 😂.

She is starting to like to be petted every now and then and more often. She never tries to mouth/bite when putting her in and out of her crate or puppy pen. Still have a problem with putting the leash on and off though. But she has come a long way and I am very happy with her progress.

We have been able to socialize her really well with adults, but due to the mouthing we do not let children pet her. We had hoped to socialize her more with dogs, but only one so far. We had hoped to take her to the park, but the weather has prevented that. 🤦🏻‍♀️

All things considered she is doing g great.
Yes......You and Bella are doing FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!
I do love the corgi coat for the fact, She actually never gets soaked........and good thing for her.......when she's on her " let's play and dig in the dirt " times, after a short time, the dirt and mud kinda just falls off.
But she is a heavy shedder, being a full corgi.......brushing is done every nite......she likes to be brushed.....but truth to be told......loves the treats that goes with it more.....and of course we do the attention things before treats are had at that time.
Keep up the great work........always look forward to hearing from you and Bella.

So yesterday dog training, and the trainer took Bella, the trainee trainer took the trainers dog, and there was a new person so we had 5 dogs in class. YAY, cause Bella got to interact with more dogs which is mainly why I am taking the class.

They worked on leave it. Bella fail 😂. Yeah, like she is going to leave food on the floor-not. Walking on a leash, she will but she pulls like a husky running a dog sled race, and the here command. Bella comes when called, like a champ, but we worked in pairs.

After the first round, Bella realized if she ran back to the trainer she got another treat. So, after I called her, she came, sat, got her treat, and turned around and ran back to the trainer to get another treat, before she was called 😂. Kind of like my husband who never has to be called for any meal.

My infected dog wound has healed 😁, and now waiting for the other wound to heal.

The golden retriever in class was throughly worn out and started to lay down and refuse to move. He weights 40 pounds at 3 months. He is the trainers dog. Bella at 3 months is 12 pounds. Reminds me why I bought Bella. They are both immature for their age and he has the same biting issue as Bella, and has drawn blood once.

The cockapoo is a delicate little dog who is very nervous and very shy but getting better. He likes to play with Bella. The great pyrenees puppy is a bit taller than the golden but probably the calmest dog in the class and the least interactive. I can not remember the other dog as it was taken out of class early for some reason.

Anyway, that was yesterday. Today, Bella is her usual energy bunny hyper nutcase. Tried to walk her but she was more interested in trying to kill my cane. We did work on wait a bit. It is going to take much longer to teach her the basics since she is so hyper and has little focus. Then again, I’ve got nothing else to do for the rest of my life. 😂

Yes......You and Bella are doing FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!
I do love the corgi coat for the fact, She actually never gets soaked........and good thing for her.......when she's on her " let's play and dig in the dirt " times, after a short time, the dirt and mud kinda just falls off.
But she is a heavy shedder, being a full corgi.......brushing is done every nite......she likes to be brushed.....but truth to be told......loves the treats that goes with it more.....and of course we do the attention things before treats are had at that time.
Keep up the great work........always look forward to hearing from you and Bella.
Bella loves the treats, but she is getting smarter. Time for crate, throw in her favorite treat, 2 milk bones. She sits. I have to pull her towards me, Bella resists. You can see her thinking “yeah mom, but I don’t want a nap, and those are only two tiny treats, and they are the regular treats sooo, I am not getting in that crate, and you can go chase a cat.” Hmm.

Ok Bella, look, I‘ll throw two of the stinky salmon treats that you love into the crate with the two milk bones treats that you love, how about now? Bella walks over to the crate, sniffs, front paws in, reaching as far as she can to try and grab the treats, I quickly unhook the leash, shove her corgi butt in, and score one for mom, Bella’s in the crate.

Have a good nap Bella. 😂. The stinky salmon treats work every time.

Not having a good month at all.

Yesterday, Told husband to take the bitter apple spray and put it on the seat belt harness of Bella’s car seat since she is chewing it. Husband always HATES doing anything but he complied. Unknown to me, he dropped the clear cap of the spray on the rug. He says it was an accident. Sure, it was.

Anyway, he left it there cause he never picks anything up that he drops. His maid, me, picks up after him. But I had already checked the floor this morning and let Bella out to play. Now Bella can not find a dropped treat on the floor, but she found that small clear cap right away.

As she zoomed past me, I saw she had something small in her mouth, 😲. I keep a drag leash on her. Bella, drop it. Nope, I’m up, I’m frantic, and she knows she has something I want, and she wants to play chase the puppy.

I get close to her, step on the drag leash, and say drop it. Nope. 🤬. I only have one glove on. I still don’t know what she has, but I know if she swallows it, she will choke to death. I can tell by how open her mouth is on it, that it’s small enough to swallow. I am lucky in that she chews her food instead of gulping stuff down.

So one foot firmly on her leash, the gloved hand holding her head, knowing I am going to yet again get bit, I am able to open her mouth with my ungloved hand, yelling drop it, and shaking her head. She drops what turns out to be the cap to the bitter apple spray and I grab it; without getting bit. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Thank heaven.

OMG, I so want to kill my husband, or you know, shove a cap down his throat. Breathe, just breathe. She is fine, I am fine, he is still alive. But his ears are burning. 😡

Back