My new dog

Bella is feeling much better and back to her usual pain in my bum behaviors. She started zooming around the small dog run space I gave her and after several warning to stop, she wouldn’t, I had to crate her.

Crating Bella is a chore. I have to fit the plastic collar through the crate door with her resisting and she is a strong dog. One hand on her collar shoving in, other hand grabbing loose skin on her back, shoving her in, and after three tries, she is finally crated. Rinse, repeat, several times a day.

She is not doing well in the heat so it’s in and out, in and out. Until she has access to her shade spot and dog house which will be Wednesday. Tuesday it will be 7 days since her surgery and she is fine so I will give her full access to her run. I also ordered a new shade cover to try and
put next to the house.

She will still need to have her collar on but she can run around more. She is so bored. She needs a new slightly larger crate but I could not find one on Amazon that I liked so will have to go to the store and buy one once Mr. I am sick is well. I can not lift a dog crate.

Bella reached a new low today. 🤦🏻‍♀️ She ate her poop. 🤮

I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it’s disgusting, on the other hand I did not have to pick up her poop as, 😳, as she already did.

Soooo, I just don’t know. 🤪

I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it’s disgusting, on the other hand I did not have to pick up her poop as, 😳, as she already did.

In many cases, dogs start to eat their own poop because of some kind of environmental stress or behavioral triggers, including: Isolation: Studies have shown that dogs who are kept alone in kennels or basements are more likely to eat poop than those dogs who live close to their people.

More Possible reasons...

• Restrictive confinement: Spending too much time confined in a small space can cause the problem. It’s not unusual to see coprophagia in dogs rescued from crowded shelters.
  • Anxiety: Often a result of a person using punishment or harsh methods during house training. According to this theory, dogs may eliminate and then eat their own poop to get rid of the evidence, but then they are punished more. It becomes a vicious cycle.
  • Attention-seeking: Dogs eat their own poop to get a reaction from their humans, which they inevitably will. So if you see your dog doing this, don’t overreact.

There is very little difference in Bella’s new crate and Bella”s old crate except the new crate is longer. The old crate was 24 inches long; the new crate is 30 inches long, 2 inches wider, and 2 inches taller. In a long dog. 6 inches means a lot more comfort IMO. Bella seemed a bit scrunched so this should be better and still fits in the space in the kitchen.
More Possible reasons...

• Restrictive confinement: Spending too much time confined in a small space can cause the problem. It’s not unusual to see coprophagia in dogs rescued from crowded shelters.
  • Anxiety: Often a result of a person using punishment or harsh methods during house training. According to this theory, dogs may eliminate and then eat their own poop to get rid of the evidence, but then they are punished more. It becomes a vicious cycle.
  • Attention-seeking: Dogs eat their own poop to get a reaction from their humans, which they inevitably will. So if you see your dog doing this, don’t overreact.
I don’t disagree, but I think Bella was just hungry. Corgis are huge eaters, if you read up on the breed, and many are overweight. We do not over feed her and she is always looking for food. But she certainly could miss interactions with “dad” who usually plays fetch with her and has been sick.

Having said this so far it has only been the one time. Since it is so hot out she may prefer her poop “just right” as opposed to baked or frozen. 😂

Sorry to hear that about Bella's new bad habit.
All the posts listed about this all have truth, another bad habit to train for.

Micki's bad habit story.
I call it recycling.
The only poop she will try to eat, is Shaalee's......it's #1 to pick up Shaalee's poop immediately.
Micki will hunt till she finds Shaalee's.....she has never eaten her own or anyone else's
I've had short episodes will all my guys over the years, was able to train that out of them quite quickly.
Like i said.....all posts on this have truth......vets are a good source of info.
Getting back to Micki.....as long as Shaalee is here.....Micki will try.....must be yummy. :poop::sick::poop::sick::poop:

I don't find humor in this situation and I wonder why you do, Aneeda. It's dangerous to long term health and it's disgusting.
Well, it’s disgusting to humans who do not eat their own poop. Well, most do not.

It you read up on the dog breed Shih Tzu you will find that they eat their own poop from practically birth and continue to do so most of their lives. Lots of dogs, with no supposed mental health issues, eat their own poop.

All dogs smell other dogs poop and will take a lick or two. 😂. But mainly, if dog poop contains undigested food, dogs will eat it. It’s the way of the dog world. In addition, if you let a dog lick your mouth, or face, or anything and don’t wash the spot, and the dog has worms, you can get the worms. 🤮

Mother dogs clean their puppies by licking their butts, which stimulates bowel movements, and those movements are consumed by their mom. I could go on, but it’s a disgusting subject, as you said @Pepper.

I do find most things in life funny, it’s true.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that about Bella's new bad habit.
All the posts listed about this all have truth, another bad habit to train for.

Micki's bad habit story.
I call it recycling.
The only poop she will try to eat, is Shaalee's......it's #1 to pick up Shaalee's poop immediately.
Micki will hunt till she finds Shaalee's.....she has never eaten her own or anyone else's
I've had short episodes will all my guys over the years, was able to train that out of them quite quickly.
Like i said.....all posts on this have truth......vets are a good source of info.
Getting back to Micki.....as long as Shaalee is here.....Micki will try.....must be yummy. :poop::sick::poop::sick::poop:
I swear it was only the one time, it’s not a habit. 😳. I am still picking her poop up, but I throw it away. I prefer pancakes for breakfast. 🤣

Aneeda: "I do find must things in life funny, it’s true."

I'm guilty of that same crime, Aneeda, but doesn't it display a bit of hopelessness about situations? Meaning we may as well laugh, what else is there to do? Yes, I do that a lot also.

I
Aneeda: "I do find must things in life funny, it’s true."

I'm guilty of that same crime, Aneeda, but doesn't it display a bit of hopelessness about situations? Meaning we may as well laugh, what else is there to do? Yes, I do that a lot also.
I agree (I changed must to most btw 🙄). As I have written before, its either laughing or crying and I prefer laughing. Take my situation with my husband, for example. Most of the time I am miserable, angry, unhappy, and at my wits end with my situation.

I could have been out of this situation this week. Had I not “forced“/tricked him, into going to the ER he would have died, I would have gotten the little bit of life insurance he has, sold this crappy house, been able to move into an apartment, and have a happier life.

Instead, I saved his life. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Again, as I have a few other times in medical situations. He is not grateful, and when I call him he continues to try and argue with me about stuff. ☹️ Or to pretend he misunderstands what I asked.

This situation, I can either laugh or cry about. I just enjoy two days of relative freedom from his overbearing ways, realize the hopelessness of my situation, and laugh at myself for once again “doing the right thing.”

@Pepper I am an idiot, I know. But in the big picture Bella eating poop is no big deal. And still, there is nothing else to do but laugh or cry. I just shake my head and laugh like a lunatic-“what else is there to do?”

I have been picking up lots of Bella poop so I guess one go at it was enough. However, I am cutting her down to 2 feedings a day so we will see. She will be unhappy, but it’s time. She is getting fat.

She is getting better at sit, wait, and just starting to crate when asked. If a more stubborn dog exist I would be surprised. Got her DNA back, finally, and she is 50 percent corgi, 38 percent heeler, and 12 percent terrier. No wonder she is nips. 🙁

Last night she decided she would not come into the house at bedtime. Alrighty then. Finally got hold of her, it wasn’t too hard, and I put her back into the dog run. And left her there till midnight. 😮

Got up at midnight to check on her, and it was whine, whine, whine, sitting at the gate of the dog run, wanting to come into the house. Let her out of the run and she got between my legs and we walked like that into the house. Very little issue with crating her. Apparently she does want to spend her nights inside. 😂

In reality it is so hot outside she is spending most of her time inside. She is blowing out her coat, but since it’s a heeler coat she does not shed like a corgi. I am going to see if I can get her a swimming pool today. She loves playing in the sprinkler which is what she was doing when she refused to come. I think when I water the small bushes I will always let her out to play in the water. She dries fast.

Bella decided she was not biting cause she was not feeling well after being fixed. She feels better now and has bruised my hand and punctured it in one small spot that, luckily for her, has not become infected. And she is trying to bite my feet. 🙄

I don’t like the new corrector it purchased and it is non returnable. Going to buy a spray collar.

Been meaning to ask you about the doggie car seat you had for Bella.
Mac gets car sick & hubby wants to take him with us if/when we travel longer distances.

Size? brand name ,,,off of Amazon or from pet store?View attachment 168322
I bought our car seat at the pet store, it was about 80 dollars and we still use it. You can probably get some medicine from the vet for the car sickness

Should have asked what do you think about restraint harness/ seat belt for dogs?
Hopefully other pet owners will reply to this question.
I put a harness on Bella and then hook the thing from the car seat to the harness. If you have anything hooked to the dogs collar and stop suddenly you can break the dogs neck or severely injure it.

Well, the wind pulled out the hook for the new shade cover I got for Bella. This is sad as she loves to lay in front of the side fence and watch the world go by, but now it’s too hot. I rearranged her run again. I know, but it’s over 90 every day and that heat starts early. Keeping her cool is important for when she is out. Course she comes in at noon as way too hot out.

Anyway, there is a cement pad where we store our containers. You can see it in one of the garden pictures. I took all those out, will put them in the shed, and put Bella’s dog house on the pad. Added the new shade cover to where the old one is and except in the morning this area will have adequate shade.

Anyway got the I am so sick I can’t move husband up (he has no problem going into the kitchen and getting food or making food) to move the fencing on the side garden to behind where the rose is so BAD BELLA could have a somewhat colder space. It was a ten minute job that took husband an hour. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Don’t get me started, really don’t. He had no problem getting a chair to sit on so he could do this very simple job of putting 3 stakes on the ground.

This put BAD BELLA next to the fence. The fence has privacy slats. Who could have imagined let alone realized that BAD BELLA would be able to grasp hold of the bottom of those slates and pull them completely out of a six foot fence. But she did. I caught her pulling out the second one. Seriously, I am going to kill that dog one day and bury with the husband. They deserve each other. Had to get husband to come out and fix the slates.

Then I had to take down a piece of garden fence, put it against the fence so she could not reach the slates and since it was a little short I moved a couple heavy stones to put against the rest of it. Now I need new fencing piece for the grapes. 😮.

Husband claims he can’t bend over and pick up stones, he feels too dizzy. 😡. Although he’s fine with bending over and getting stuff out of the frig. 🙄. Also he is once again refusing to help with Bella which means I have to get up at midnight and take her potty even though he is up at midnight. Don’t get me started, nope, don’t. 🤬

All in all yesterday was a not good day for a variety of reasons and I am very 😡

Continuing the snake saga, Last night we started to install the new AC unit.

Hubby downstairs taking it out of box.
So I knew I could at least get the old unit out of the window.

Remove stuff to get it out, take hold of it to move it,,,,,,,,,,,, :eek: :eek: :eek:there is a snake under it!!
I don't normally scream at snakes but did at that one.
I'm down the stairs & told hubby,, who grabs a 410 shotgun.

Wait a minute you aren't going to blow the window frame to bits.

Give him a long handled gardening tool.
He finally flips the snake off the roof ,unto ground.
We didn't follow it just got back to placing new AC.
He told me the snake wasn't a poison one.

Later discussed about what a rude awaking if it had crawled in to bed with us.

This morning, cousin Ken pointed out a snake skin in the flower bed which are beside the porch/walk.
Skin broke in pieces,, but guess it measured 30 -33 inches long.
No idea what kind of snake it was.

Son of a gun,,know it wasn't there last night as that is Mac's favorite area to be.
He was snooping around there too.

Hubby is declaring war on all snakes

Continuing the snake saga, Last night we started to install the new AC unit.

Hubby downstairs taking it out of box.
So I knew I could at least get the old unit out of the window.

Remove stuff to get it out, take hold of it to move it,,,,,,,,,,,, :eek: :eek: :eek:there is a snake under it!!
I don't normally scream at snakes but did at that one.
I'm down the stairs & told hubby,, who grabs a 410 shotgun.

Wait a minute you aren't going to blow the window frame to bits.

Give him a long handled gardening tool.
He finally flips the snake off the roof ,unto ground.
We didn't follow it just got back to placing new AC.
He told me the snake wasn't a poison one.

Later discussed about what a rude awaking if it had crawled in to bed with us.

This morning, cousin Ken pointed out a snake skin in the flower bed which are beside the porch/walk.
Skin broke in pieces,, but guess it measured 30 -33 inches long.
No idea what kind of snake it was.

Son of a gun,,know it wasn't there last night as that is Mac's favorite area to be.
He was snooping around there too.

Hubby is declaring war on all snakes
Yup, we did the same. Killed every snake we could find. They keep the mouse situation down, but, yup, would rather deal with the mice.

Last edited:

Back