My new dog

Well, I didn’t buy my puppy from the Amish. But a few decades ago I bought two puppies from what I later learned was a puppy farm. Got them home, and turns out they were very sick. Seems at one point they must have eaten a rotten mouse. Months of vet treatment and, in the end, both were put down. Their intestine simply gave up. Same happened with a very expensive poodle pup we later bought from a breeder.

People pay so much for puppies now without knowing where they are from and can end up with very sick dogs, even when they know where they are from. @squatting dog your pup was very lucky that you found her. Did you have the cancer treated?

My daughter had a dog with breast cancer and spent thousands on surgery and chemo although I urged her not to. The cancer spread throughout her body. Breast cancer in poodles is common. Seizures are common in poodles. I now think poodles are overbred and will never buy another one. But, then again, as old as I am, Bella will be my last dog.

In the end, her beloved dog had to be put down, after what I felt was an awful year of misery in an effort to keep her alive, a disservice IMO. When one of our poodles had breast cancer, we let her live as long as she was comfortable without intervention. Then we had her put down.

Well, I didn’t buy my puppy from the Amish. But a few decades ago I bought two puppies from what I later learned was a puppy farm. Got them home, and turns out they were very sick. Seems at one point they must have eaten a rotten mouse. Months of vet treatment and, in the end, both were put down. Their intestine simply gave up. Same happened with a very expensive poodle pup we later bought from a breeder.

People pay so much for puppies now without knowing where they are from and can end up with very sick dogs, even when they know where they are from. @squatting dog your pup was very lucky that you found her. Did you have the cancer treated?

My daughter had a dog with breast cancer and spent thousands on surgery and chemo although I urged her not to. The cancer spread throughout her body. Breast cancer in poodles is common. Seizures are common in poodles. I now think poodles are overbred and will never buy another one. But, then again, as old as I am, Bella will be my last dog.

In the end, her beloved dog had to be put down, after what I felt was an awful year of misery in an effort to keep her alive, a disservice IMO. When one of our poodles had breast cancer, we let her live as long as she was comfortable without intervention. Then we had her put down.

Yes, we had a vet treat her cancer and for a while we thought we had defeated it. We were wrong, but I was able to give her a couple of oh so short years of happiness and loving.
I suppose that's the price we pay for being people who just have to rescue a fur baby if we can. We have a poodle here now that suffers from seizures and so far, we are able to medicate and regulate them.
We live by this creed.

furr baby.jpg

This morning with snow on the ground and 22 degrees outside I started potty on demand training. This will demonstrate that Bella is able to think things through as Independent herding dogs are expected to do. It will also show how smart she is, 😂. But I am smarter, I swear.

She woke from her nap. Outside to potty, pee, click, treat. She walked, maybe four steps away, squatted, peed a bit more, looked at me, I clicked, she sat, and I gave her a treat. I could see the wheels turning in her brain.

Walked her half way down the street, and back, then again. Took her to potty place, as I want her to poop. She squatted and manage to pee, again. Click, sit, looked up expectantly, treat. Hmm. She almost never has a pee accident in the house, poop is another issue.

Walked her over to a place where I’ve left her poop to encourage her to poop there. Squat, more pee. OMGOSH poop already. Click, sit, treat. She wants to go inside. So do I, it’s cold, my bad foot hurts, poop already. When she realizes she can’t go in, and no more pee is coming out, she sniffs her previous poo, 🙄, does the I have to circle around poopie dance, and poops.

Wait! are those angles singing hallelujah? YES! Yes, there are angles, singing. Good dog, click, sit, double treats. Inside we go. I put her in her puppy pen for play. Puppy pen is now sitting on the floor since I moved the dining room table, chairs, moved the rug, (husband refused to help, as it’s your dog you do it, whatever). Anyhow.

I go to the bedroom to take off my boots, I swear to all that’s holy, Bella looked at me when I came back, squatted, squeezed out four drops, FOUR DROPS of pee, sat, and looked for her treat. When pigs can fly Bella, when pigs can fly. 😳

Yesterday was my favorite sons birthday and he came over to the house for birthday cake and to get his birthday money. He always chooses money for his birthday. His oldest brother and significant other came as well.

No one had seen Bella yet and they all loved her but none of them wanted to risk a nip in trying to let pet 😂. We are talking and suddenly Bella starts her strange braking that indicates she is about to take a dump. Ugh, pizza, chocolate cake, and puppy poop. NO!

She stops sniffing, husband grabs her up, hustles her outside. Meanwhile a discussion of potty training starts and how did I know she was going to go by sons girlfriend who has never had a dog. Yup, never, or any other pet either.

Husband brings Bella back in and my oldest son says, well. Well, what? Well, we just spent 10 minutes talking about if she pooped or not. Inquiring minds want to know, did she poop? YUP. It’s always about Bella, always. 😂

If you've ever been to an Amish breeder's place, you'd never buy another dog from them. I have had the privilege of being there when a few were shut down. :mad: Nasty people when it comes to breeding.
One of my favorite rescues came from a shut down Amish bunch. My little Judy (aka Ju Ju bee)I called her my bump and go. Poor little thing had never been out of a 2 foot cage, except for breeding. When I first got her, she would only walk in 1 foot circles. :( She also had no idea what grass was. (scared her the first time she stepped on it). We caught them as they were about to kill her and throw her on the pile of dead dogs they had out back. :mad::mad: as she had cancer and was blind in one eye. (diseased so bad, we had to have it removed ). She now rests easy in Fl. along with Noop, Patti cake, and Elliot.
This was the last picture I have of her. The day the vet could do no more and I had to end her suffering. She still brings tears to my eyes. 😭

View attachment 146187
View attachment 146188
I'm so sorry........
People like that should not have a place in this world.
I'm so in love with what you did for her, in making the remainder of her life feeling love.
Thank you.

The two female dogs I mentioned in the earlier post were each priced at $1,200.
So Boston Terriers have 5 to 8 pups per litter,
Most pups online priced at from $1,595 upwards to $2000+.

I think those two dogs probably made their owners some serious money.

I don't know if the Amish breeders breed their dogs at every cycle or skip one.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh when I say at least they are trying to sell them,,instead of killing them.
Whoever gets them will have their hands full trying to train them to be a good pet.

The two female dogs I mentioned in the earlier post were each priced at $1,200.
So Boston Terriers have 5 to 8 pups per litter,
Most pups online priced at from $1,595 upwards to $2000+.

I think those two dogs probably made their owners some serious money.

I don't know if the Amish breeders breed their dogs at every cycle or skip one.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh when I say at least they are trying to sell them,,instead of killing them.
Whoever gets them will have their hands full trying to train them to be a good pet.
I think any dogs priced above 2000 are robbery, but then again, puppies are expensive to raise.

This morning with snow on the ground and 22 degrees outside I started potty on demand training. This will demonstrate that Bella is able to think things through as Independent herding dogs are expected to do. It will also show how smart she is, 😂. But I am smarter, I swear.

She woke from her nap. Outside to potty, pee, click, treat. She walked, maybe four steps away, squatted, peed a bit more, looked at me, I clicked, she sat, and I gave her a treat. I could see the wheels turning in her brain.

Walked her half way down the street, and back, then again. Took her to potty place, as I want her to poop. She squatted and manage to pee, again. Click, sit, looked up expectantly, treat. Hmm. She almost never has a pee accident in the house, poop is another issue.

Walked her over to a place where I’ve left her poop to encourage her to poop there. Squat, more pee. OMGOSH poop already. Click, sit, treat. She wants to go inside. So do I, it’s cold, my bad foot hurts, poop already. When she realizes she can’t go in, and no more pee is coming out, she sniffs her previous poo, 🙄, does the I have to circle around poopie dance, and poops.

Wait! are those angles singing hallelujah? YES! Yes, there are angles, singing. Good dog, click, sit, double treats. Inside we go. I put her in her puppy pen for play. Puppy pen is now sitting on the floor since I moved the dining room table, chairs, moved the rug, (husband refused to help, as it’s your dog you do it, whatever). Anyhow.

I go to the bedroom to take off my boots, I swear to all that’s holy, Bella looked at me when I came back, squatted, squeezed out four drops, FOUR DROPS of pee, sat, and looked for her treat. When pigs can fly Bella, when pigs can fly. 😳
I have a book called " When Pigs Fly ".........Training Success With Impossible dogs......written by Jane Killion.
A dogwise Training Manual.......
It was given to me by Micki's 1st Mom......Quitude Pembroke Corgis.
GREAT MANUAL.

I have a book called " When Pigs Fly ".........Training Success With Impossible dogs......written by Jane Killion.
A dogwise Training Manual.......
It was given to me by Micki's 1st Mom......Quitude Pembroke Corgis.
GREAT MANUAL.
I’ll see if it is on Amazon

Bella had a great morning and played in her puppy pen for half hour before stopping, staring at me, and then a bark. Grabbed my coat and she starting barking furiously and out we went. She went, got her treat, came inside, ate breakfast, and now resting after wolfing her food down.

I have started uncovering her, in her crate during the day, so she can watch tv, watch me watch tv, sleep, or just practice laying in her crate without barking her brains out while we both wait for her to need to go poop. Seems like I spend my life waiting for her to poop. I might be obsessed with her potty training but it’s very important to get it done.

Yesterday, on our outside walk, on the way past the house she started having a fit trying to go home. I thought maybe she is tired. Naw, she never gets tired. But I took her home, she raced for her potty area, and pooped. OMGosh, so impressed she did not poop on the street.

I walk her on the street. I have to use my cane instead of my walker. She walks ahead back and forth in front of me. Then she walks behind back and forth and then tries to run in front of me. Then she walks between my legs. Then she runs besides me and grabs my pant leg, bite bite, bite. I am taking my life in my hands, walking this dog. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Ive tried 6 harnesses from Amazon and sent then all back as they do not fit her right. The leash in on her collar and I am terrified she will get a neck injury as she will unexpectedly zoom off at a run, hit that collar that stops her, and flip over. I am going to go to the pet stores today and see if I can find a harness that will fit. It costs more, such is life.

Bought her a car seat at the pet store. It was outrageously expensive, but i couldn’t order return order return from Amazon trying to get a good quality car seat for her. It is dangerous for her to be on my lap and when we go to get out, she wants to jump out. Typical puppy.

Still hates being outside in puppy play pen, and I put her out twice a day for 15 minutes and bark bark bark. Refuses to play with her toys or chew her bully stick. I suppose eventually she will get used to it. In spring when we work on the yard, she will have to be contained.

Bella did not love the car seat. We gave her a bully stick and she kept dropping it over the side. She jumped out twice so we had to fix that and tell her firmly to stay in her seat. She tried to chew on the car seats, the seat belts, and throughly licked her car seat so now it’s nice and clean, 😂.

I did not get to buy a new harness for her because she seemed stressed so after we returned a couple of things so we went back home. She will get used to it eventually.

How many hours each day does Bella, spend in her cage?
I have answered this question in detail already. It’s a crate not a cage, she’s a puppy not a parrot. How long does your dog spend in a crate, oh wait, I remember you don’t have one.

Last edited:
I have answered this question in detail already. It’s a crate not a cage, she’s a puppy not a parrot. How long does your dog spend in a crate, oh wait, I remember you don’t have one.
Right you are, but if we did have a little puppy or dog, it would spend zero time cooped-up in a restrictive cage.

Right you are, but if we did have a little puppy or dog, it would spend zero time cooped-up in a restrictive cage.
Good for you, pee and poop everywhere, chewed up walls and furniture, and the first time puppy bites into a cord it’s dead. Wonderful pet parent you would make. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 As I said before ignorance is bliss.

@MickaC found that book on Amazon, it’s 20 dollars and since I just bought a new book ”puppy training in 7 easy steps“ so I can raise a perfect dog I won’t buy it yet. Bella bit me good today, she still hates being leashed up.

The potty training is going really well, however, or as I call it the treats for poop program. Remember when you gave your kid a piece of candy or a cookie for going on the toilet, yup, it’s like that. 😂

I love the puzzle feeding tray. Today Bella had chicken, kibble, apple, and kibble with small milk bones. She, of course, chose the chicken first. Sniffed it right out and ate both servings first. I thought she’d like the apples next, but nope.

She uncovered a kibble, but surprise, she didn’t eat it. Instead she went to the center piece and chose the kibble with the mini milk bones, eating the milk bones first. Then sniffed out all the kibble spots, and lastly uncovered and ate the apples. She is an expert now on this puzzle box. I’ll have to get a harder one next. 😂

She has started to bark in her play pen when she wants to go out to go potty and she has not had an accident in the house in, hmm, couple days so she is back on track. I removed her raised bed from the pen as she liked to potty on it. I will put it in her outside puppy pen, which she still hates, since the outside pen is rocks. She can lay on the raised bed, maybe that will make a difference.

She is still hard to walk, but walking her tires her out, keeps her nails trimmed, and I get steps in. She tries to eat everything, of course. Silly pup.

I’ll see if it is on Amazon
I'm not sure where she got it, other than she did order it online from somewhere.
When i mentioned Micki's 1st Mom.......she was the owner of Quietude Pembroke Corgis.
She hasn't raised a litter since Micki and siblings.
She never bred for the purpose of selling puppies.....was breeding for show, agility and she loves them to no end.
What she didn't choose for that were placed in quality homes.........I was so lucky and happy to qualify.

Bella had a great morning and played in her puppy pen for half hour before stopping, staring at me, and then a bark. Grabbed my coat and she starting barking furiously and out we went. She went, got her treat, came inside, ate breakfast, and now resting after wolfing her food down.

I have started uncovering her, in her crate during the day, so she can watch tv, watch me watch tv, sleep, or just practice laying in her crate without barking her brains out while we both wait for her to need to go poop. Seems like I spend my life waiting for her to poop. I might be obsessed with her potty training but it’s very important to get it done.

Yesterday, on our outside walk, on the way past the house she started having a fit trying to go home. I thought maybe she is tired. Naw, she never gets tired. But I took her home, she raced for her potty area, and pooped. OMGosh, so impressed she did not poop on the street.

I walk her on the street. I have to use my cane instead of my walker. She walks ahead back and forth in front of me. Then she walks behind back and forth and then tries to run in front of me. Then she walks between my legs. Then she runs besides me and grabs my pant leg, bite bite, bite. I am taking my life in my hands, walking this dog. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Ive tried 6 harnesses from Amazon and sent then all back as they do not fit her right. The leash in on her collar and I am terrified she will get a neck injury as she will unexpectedly zoom off at a run, hit that collar that stops her, and flip over. I am going to go to the pet stores today and see if I can find a harness that will fit. It costs more, such is life.

Bought her a car seat at the pet store. It was outrageously expensive, but i couldn’t order return order return from Amazon trying to get a good quality car seat for her. It is dangerous for her to be on my lap and when we go to get out, she wants to jump out. Typical puppy.

Still hates being outside in puppy play pen, and I put her out twice a day for 15 minutes and bark bark bark. Refuses to play with her toys or chew her bully stick. I suppose eventually she will get used to it. In spring when we work on the yard, she will have to be contained.
Don't mean to be critical.......i was taught in classes.......harnesses are not a training tool......collars are best for training......when she is older, more trained, you can introduce a harness for walking.
Her head should be big enough for a collar......2 fingers in between her and collar.....test it, so you feel it's a good fit.
Tugging on a harness for training doesn't click......you have more control with a collar for training.
Sorry, not trying to be bossy.

Back