My step daughter is being irresponsible

I just saw on the news this morning:

“Tennessee ranks No. 1 in U.S. for new COVID-19 cases per capita”

Read that again. We’re #1, in the worst way.

For God’s sake! How hard is it to get vaccinated?!

At least wear a mask if you can’t or won’t get the vaccine. Get tested. Quarantine if you’ve been exposed or you’re sick. People need to quit being so damn selfish and irresponsible.

Our ICU’s across the state are overcrowded. If Ron or I get non-Covid sick or have a heart attack or some other health emergency happens, our care is threatened because of the overworked medical staff and the overcrowding in our hospitals.

it’s not just Covid that could kill us. It could also be the lack of care we’d be subject to because the hospital staff are so overworked as the result of irresponsible people not doing the right thing regarding getting their vaccine or masking up or quarantining or whatever.

I am honestly appalled at Sheri’s lack of care. She’s contributing to everything I said above. That she and her kids didn’t come down with Covid after their exposure is pure luck.

I told Ron, the next time this happens I will be very aggressive with my own self care and the protection of my family, and that will include but not be limited to me quarantining myself from him completely if he won’t lay down the law with Sheri.

I realized that me taking whatever steps I feel I need to, to protect myself, is Ron’s consequence for not being more aggressive with Sheri.
So if I understand it right, Sheri was “exposed” via a friend to the virus. But you don’t know what form of the virus she was exposed to, whether or not it was delta. Then she interacted with you and Ron. But you and Ron are vaccinated. You and Ron both work.

You and Ron deal with other people because you work. Therefore, you and Ron are around people and might be exposed to the virus via other people through work, shopping, walking, doctors, ordinary life exposure that you will never know about.

You only know about the POSSIBLE exposure through Sheri cause her sister told you. Hmm.
Sister might want you upset, Sheri upset, sister might have an agenda not related to the virus.

I disagree with a lot of what people have written. But let’s say Sheri has the virus, you guys have been exposed. Have you isolated yourselves? I doubt it. maybe I am wrong but I don’t remember you saying you guys went into isolation, or went and got tested? Did you and Ron go and get tested? Much ado about nothing.

My daughter was in the hospital recently. We went and saw her. She said don’t come I have a cold I’m afraid it might be Covid. She couldn’t even get a test because she was vaccinated. plus, remember, the tests have false positives and false negatives so it’s useless. We went, we are vaccinated, she had a cold or Covid. Didn’t matter, we didn’t get sick.

If you are worried, wear a mask. If Ron is worried have him wear a mask. If you get symptoms, wear a mask and get tested. Exposure to the virus, at this point in time, is unavoidable and we must face that fact and get on with our lives.

I agree, this is Ron”s issue. Let him handle it.

@Ronni i think you have always had issues with Sheri. You have always been panicked over the virus. You are vaccinated. If you are worried get YOURSELF tested. Sheri has made her decision, I think you should leave her alone. Ron is an adult and is vaccinated and can get tested as well, and wear a mask.

If you are worried, wear a mask. If Ron is worried have him wear a mask. If you get symptoms, wear a mask and get tested. Exposure to the virus, at this point in time, is unavoidable and we must face that fact and get on with our lives.

i think you have always had issues with Sheri.
You have always been panicked over the virus. You are vaccinated. If you are worried get YOURSELF tested. Sheri has made her decision, I think you should leave her alone. Ron is an adult and is vaccinated and can get tested as well, and wear a mask.

Seems the father-daughter bond is very strong here ... So there lies the problem .... you aren't going to break that bond they have.
He raised her to be the woman she is today.
In my opinion, no amount of nagging will make him turn his back on his own flesh and blood.

I agree, this is Ron”s issue. Let him handle it.
It isn’t just Ron’s issue if it affects Ronni. She has every right to have a role in the events. He does have to do whatever action he takes.

no amount of nagging
That’s a presumption. It could be a discussion.

I don’t know the history with the Ron’s daughter. It seems other family members are upset with her too.

Frankly, any eligible family member who isn’t vaccinated should not be allowed to attend any family event at their home. If his daughter is exposed to someone again who is positive, she should be forced to wear a mask for a few days or stay away from work without pay. Her decision. She sounded like she was taunting him to do that.

Last edited:
It isn’t just Ron’s issue if it affects Ronni. She has every right to have a roll in the events. He does have to do whatever action he takes.

That’s a presumption. It could be a discussion.

I don’t know the history with the Ron’s daughter. It seems other family members are upset with her too.

Frankly, any eligible family member who isn’t vaccinated should not be allowed to attend any family event at their home. If his daughter is exposed to someone again who is positive, she should be forced to wear a mask for a few days or stay away from work without pay. Her decision. She sounded like she was taunting him to do that.
@Jules Ronnie knew how close Sheri and her dad was. Her and her children were living with dad when Ronnie and Ron hooked up. This was all discussed in a previous thread. As I remember they were about to get married when Sheri was exposed to the virus, Ronnie got really upset, and moved out to her daughters house.

Ronnie was pretty upset and a bit panicked by the virus at that time. However, as I recall, even though she felt she had been exposed she moved to her daughters without getting a Covid test. The marriage was almost called off. Eventually Ronnie got Ron to get Sheri and her kids to move out of Ron”s house.

Ron and Ronnie got married. And now rinse, repeat; but the difference is Ron and Ronnie are, I think, vaccinated. So less worry in my opinion for reasons I have already stated. If I had to chose between my husband, at any point in my 50 plus year marriage, and my son by my first husband, my son wins.

To me, Sheri or any child comes first. The children, no matter how old, are the children. My son is over 50 now. My husband adopted him, oh, when he was 7 or so. But if I had to pick between them, I’d pick my son. Course at this point in time, it hardly matters. 😂

Seems the father-daughter bond is very strong here ... So there lies the problem .... you aren't going to break that bond they have.
He raised her to be the woman she is today.
In my opinion, no amount of nagging will make him turn his back on his own flesh and blood.
He raised his other daughter too, who is vaccinated, masks appropriately, has isolated herself because of possible exposure, and is being responsible and proactive about not spreading the virus.

And I don't nag. It isn't who I am. Ron is very torn about the issue. We're not mad at each other, we're not arguing. I understand and empathize, and we've had several discussions about this issue. It isn't about him turning his back on his own flesh and blood, it's about doing the responsible thing. He admits that if were anyone else who works for him he'd have no hesitation about telling them no work until you've tested negative.
@Jules

Ronnie was pretty upset and a bit panicked by the virus at that time. However, as I recall, even though she felt she had been exposed she moved to her daughters without getting a Covid test.

This is inaccurate. Ron found out that Sheri had been exposed before she came back to the house after her exposure. I left the house before she returned, so I wasn't exposed.

I've been personally exposed twice. I've dealt with it as responsibly as I could...quarantine/mask/test, and gave everyone a heads up who I had been in contact with before I knew I'd been exposed.
To me, Sheri or any child comes first. The children, no matter how old, are the children. My son is over 50 now. My husband adopted him, oh, when he was 7 or so. But if I had to pick between them, I’d pick my son. Course at this point in time, it hardly matters. 😂

I agree. But this isn't about who comes first. It's about personal responsibility. Sheri sent her kids to school after they'd been exposed, didn't notify the school. She didn't tell us or even just her Dad she'd been exposed, we heard it from her sister. She won't vax, won't test, won't mask.

She stated definitively in a text: "I'm not getting tested and I'm not going to argue with y'all about it. I'm not stressing it." Well she may not be, but everyone else is.

If I was in the same situation as you, I'd treat her as I would treat any drunk driver. There is no possible way I'd get in a car with a drunk driver.
It's not quite the same thing but, I had to abandon my best friend because he was an out of control late stage drunk. The final straw was when he feel asleep on my sofa and I went to my own bed for the night. In the middle of the night I woke up to the smell of smoke. His cigarette lit my sofa on fire.
Ultimately, I was forced to protect my life.

“Tennessee ranks No. 1 in U.S. for new COVID-19 cases per

People like me who haven't been shot are unlikely to allow a contaminated swab crammed up their sinuses to their brains. By far the most likely people to be tested are the vaccinated people.

Additionally, people who've gotten the shots and had resulting serious health problems within two to four weeks are counted as unvaccinated people, often regardless of the subsequent time periods.

Therefore, it's the vaccinated people like yourself that you should be worried about, not the people who haven't been poisoned.

I realized that me taking whatever steps I feel I need to, to protect myself, is Ron’s consequence for not being more aggressive with Sheri.

Personally I think since he's working with Sheri every day, that you should move out to protect yourself.
Then his family can move back in and you'll all be protected from each other. It would be a win-win situation. ✌️

Last edited:
He raised his other daughter too, who is vaccinated, masks appropriately, has isolated herself because of possible exposure, and is being responsible and proactive about not spreading the virus.

And I don't nag. It isn't who I am. Ron is very torn about the issue. We're not mad at each other, we're not arguing. I understand and empathize, and we've had several discussions about this issue. It isn't about him turning his back on his own flesh and blood, it's about doing the responsible thing. He admits that if were anyone else who works for him he'd have no hesitation about telling them no work until you've tested negative.

This is inaccurate. Ron found out that Sheri had been exposed before she came back to the house after her exposure. I left the house before she returned, so I wasn't exposed.

I've been personally exposed twice. I've dealt with it as responsibly as I could...quarantine/mask/test, and gave everyone a heads up who I had been in contact with before I knew I'd been exposed.

I agree. But this isn't about who comes first. It's about personal responsibility. Sheri sent her kids to school after they'd been exposed, didn't notify the school. She didn't tell us or even just her Dad she'd been exposed, we heard it from her sister. She won't vax, won't test, won't mask.

She stated definitively in a text: "I'm not getting tested and I'm not going to argue with y'all about it. I'm not stressing it." Well she may not be, but everyone else is.
I was going by my memory, I apologize for any mistakes I made.

People like me who haven't been shot are unlikely to allow a contaminated swab crammed up their sinuses to their brains. By far the most likely people to be tested are the vaccinated people.

Additionally, people who've gotten the shots and had resulting serious health problems within two to four weeks are counted as unvaccinated people, often regardless of the subsequent time periods.

Personally I think since he's working with Sheri every day, that you should move out to protect yourself.
Then his family can move back in and you'll all be protected from each other. It would be a win-win situation.
Well, why can’t the family just wear masks when Sheri is around? That would also solve the issue. My daughter, her husband, and the three year old all wore masks inside their house when we were there. Covid or cold, they didn’t want us to catch it.

I don't know why some posts seem to think he'd be choosing between anyone,
or between his daughter and wife,
or that he'd be rejecting or turning against his daughter, in any way. :unsure:

I dont see that a decision of his, to set guidelines or boundaries or limits, or more limited options,
for positive behaviors while at work, (or in a relationship)
would be like choosing against his daughter.

He'll love her, no matter what. That is not at stake here.
That's a given.

Another possible idea I had:
Perhaps, they could work different hours, each day,
Or, different days of the week from each other?
Or, in different spaces, or spaced in better areas? Rearrange work space? Or, have some meetings with each other outdoors, etc?
Possible ways of lowering his risk level of becoming too sick and unable to work, or of his passing a very contagious and serious illness to others, including his wife?

Ronni,
If " It isn't about him turning his back on his own flesh and blood,"

Yet, "He admits that if were anyone else who works for him he'd have no hesitation about telling them no work until you've tested negative. "

I'm sorry but I don't understand.

You've got a lot on your plate.
I won't add to it. 🌹
@RadishRose I appreciate your question, you’re not adding to anything when you’re attempting to get clarification. And yeah, I had to stop for a minute because they are seem to be conflicting statement 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

I was ineptly trying to make MY point that it’s about personal responsibility and doing the morally correct thing. I asked him if he’d have a problem telling anyone else who worked for him to not come back till they tested negative. He said he wouldn’t. Ok so then he needn’t feel like he was turning his back on his own flesh and blood by insisting on that same standard. That it’s NOT personal. It’s not just about his daughter.

is that any clearer?

Oh for heavens sake! 🙄

Please don’t clutter up this thread with ridiculous scenarios. It’s clear YOU have never been tested or you’d understand how ludicrous this is. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Ronni you gotta do what you gotta do to feel safe and protect yourself. My father is mad because I won't let them come visit. We have high transmission here and he's at risk (but vaccinated) and mom's at risk (can't be vaccinated) and I'm vaccinated and at risk. I told mom I don't care...nobody is visiting period. No eating out. Nothing. I don't care how safe dad thinks it is. I get all the exposure I need and then some at work every day. Not adding to it. Do what you gotta do lady.

@Ronni does any of this apply to Ron's work?

Current Order​

READ CURRENT ORDER PDF
  • Effective August 19, 2021 at 12:01am, face coverings are required among people ages two and older when in any enclosed space open to the public where other people, except for members of the person’s own household or living unit, are present.
  • Face coverings are also required while driving or riding in any form of public transportation.
  • See Face Covering Emergency Order PDF and our news release for details. This order is in effect until September 16, 2021.

What is an enclosed, public space?​

A space is enclosed if it has a roof and more than two substantial walls. A substantial wall is a wall with no opening or with an opening that either does not allow air in from the outside or is less than 25 percent of the wall's surface area.

A space is public if a member of the public can enter it or if it is subject to ADA laws . Examples:
  • An event at a venue may be a private event, but because the venue is a public space subject to ADA laws, it is considered a public space.
  • A workspace may be closed to the public but because it is still subject to ADA laws, it is considered a public space. People working there must wear masks in congregate spaces but may remove masks in private offices with a door if they are alone.

I think a business is operating unlawfully. What can I do?​

With Face Covering Emergency Order PDF , masks are required among employees and customers ages two and up in indoor public spaces. Please email us if you believe a business is operating unlawfully.

https://publichealthmdc.com/coronavirus/current-order

Back